SKY take money from my account AFTER acccount was terminated

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
3 replies 698 views
Daryll77Daryll77 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
I had broadband with SKY at £18 per month on a rolling month to month contract. On 23rd December I paid £18 for 23rd December to 23 January. On 1st January I decided to move to Vodafone and they set in the wheels in motion for the move. I received a letter from SKY dated 2nd January to say that my service with SKY would end on 16th of January as I was moving to a new provider -all straight forward up to this point. HOWEVER, on 23rd January SKY took another £18 out of my account for 23rd January to 23rd February even though my contract and service from SKY ended on 16th January. I phoned SKY tonight and they have told me that am due a refund but it will NOT be paid back to me until 24th February - the end of my current billing period with them. SKY rep said that legally they are allowed to take the payment, even though they know that they are not going to be providing me with a service, and legally they can hold the money until February because my termination date was within 14 days of my billing period!! I argued that the notice was served to them on 1st/2nd January and therefore well outside the 14 days from the end of the billing period - but she told me that it goes by the termination date rather than the date they are served with the notice of termination.
After debating with the rep and being put on hold for over 10 minutes I was informed that she asked 2 other departments if the money can be paid back before 24th February but it CANNOT be paid back due to their IT systems and my billing period with them. I asked to be put thru to her manager or another dept to discuss this issue with them but she kept insisting that it was not possible and was pointless as they would give me the same advice. This is a brief overview of my discussion with but hopefully sets the picture and covers my frustration at this mess!:mad: I now know that I should have cancelled my direct debit with them as soon as I knew I was moving to Vodafone but too late to worry about that now.
Can anyone advise if they are legally allowed to take money from a customer after the termination of a contract and also if they are allowed to hold onto my money for 4 weeks before returning it to me?

Replies

• spenderdavespenderdave Forumite
    574 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I am in the same situation as you, having transferred to BT on January 16th. The situation is indeed as you describe. I asked on the Sky User forums (an independent forum, not related to Sky) and received a fairly detailed response:
    http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/joining-leaving-sky/61878-leaving-sky-broadband-final-bill.html

That is how it is, I don't think you will get them to change it. It is unfortunate that the situation is not detailed anywhere (for instance in the letter they send you).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I am in the same situation as you, having transferred to BT on January 16th. The situation is indeed as you describe. I asked on the Sky User forums (an independent forum, not related to Sky) and received a fairly detailed response:
    http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/joining-leaving-sky/61878-leaving-sky-broadband-final-bill.html

That is how it is, I don't think you will get them to change it. It is unfortunate that the situation is not detailed anywhere (for instance in the letter they send you).

And @bubblegun has it spot on in their post, the line rental may be paid in advance but call charges (and possibly other charges) are always paid in arrears. Every supplier will work the same way.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    And @bubblegun has it spot on in their post, the line rental may be paid in advance but call charges (and possibly other charges) are always paid in arrears. Every supplier will work the same way.

I don't know about line and internet (where necessary calls could be made after the last pre-leaving bill), but Sky have altered their policy re tv.

They used to leave the account open to pay for any bought or rented items in the aforementioned time period, but with tv they calculate your leaving bill at the time of cancellation.This should be correct as they do not allow you to take any additional services such as a film hire after the cancellation is made.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals