MSE News:Virgin Media customer? You can bag a free upgrade to its top of the range TV

Virgin Media is offering a free upgrade to its TV box which lets you record six channels while watching a seventh - but here's why you need to check you're on the best deal first...
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2018 at 3:26PM
    2d9wva9.png

Anyone know if this upgrade moves me to the higher price shown in this pic? I can't decide it it means no change to the price I pay or not.

Edit: Actually the more I look at it, I now see that it states '£29.99 for the first 12 months' so I not only get to keep the low price, but might now get it extended for an extra 4 months or so as well.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    We received an offer from VM in the last two weeks (since 12 February 2018), of a free upgrade to a new V6 box . However it was ambiguous whether signing up would result in a new contract being set up (we are out of contract).

So I asked here if anyone knew. My query has been moved to a CLOSED thread re VM free upgrades to V6 boxes. How am I to get a reply if my question has been moved to closed thread?

I am posting this here as I cannot find any other way to ask why my query has been moved to a closed thread.
  • The answer is YES , VM will treat switching on the new V6 box as a new 12m contract.

Use this a way to renegotiate what you pay by talkin to the disconnections department.

Good luck.
  • You can't have seriously thought they'd give you a free V6 box without tying you into a new contract?
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 26 February 2018 at 2:56PM
    MSE actually says that you do not have to sign a new contract, in its analysis of the offer in the general MSE pages. Its just that the wording reads differently when you come to sign up.

This is what MSE says about the offer

"Still want the free upgrade?
    If you're on the best price, the free upgrade is a good deal. Here's what you need to know:

You need to be a broadband and TV customer without a V6 box. You need a package with a connection speed of up to 50Mbps for the V6 box to work.

There will be no impact on your contract. Upgrading your box won't enter you into a new contract, or extend your current one.

etc etc

Unfortunately that is not how the deal is worded on the VM screen where it says:

"Confirm your order
    Summary (12 month contract unless specified)
    You are about to upgrade to a new package as shown below. It will also include everything from your current package and extras."

This clearly says you upgrading to a new 12 month package.

And further down it says: "Just swapping your TV box? The figure shown above is your current monthly cost and, along with your package and contract, will remain exactly the same as before."

All that says is that the cost and Ts and C of the new package will remain the same as your current contract." How does this work for customers like us who are long out of contract?
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 February 2018 at 11:07AM
    You can't have seriously thought they'd give you a free V6 box without tying you into a new contract?
    I ordered a new V6 box for free to replace my V4 and it arrived a couple of weeks ago.

They also sent me a Superhub 3 to replace my 2AC and a pair of Netgear gigabit power-line adapters as I told them the router and TiVo were not in the same room.

V6 Tivo is great, Superhub 3 is awful so I have kept using my Superhub 2AC with no problems.

Here is the link to my confirmation page.

As littlerock mentions above, the red exclamation mark at the bottom states my contract will remain exactly the same as before.

Also, my latest statement issued today (28th of Feb) states at the top, "Your agreement started 12th August 2017"..

However as I had a decent (£27) discount, even if it was extended to 12 months it would actually just have given me that good deal for longer! :)
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • vacheron wrote: »
    I ordered a new V6 box for free to replace my V4 and it arrived a couple of weeks ago.

They also sent me a Superhub 3 to replace my 2AC and a pair of Netgear gigabit power-line adapters as I told them the router and TiVo were not in the same room.

V6 Tivo is great, Superhub 3 is awful so I have kept using my Superhub 2AC with no problems.

Here is the link to my confirmation page.

As littlerock mentions above, the red exclamation mark at the bottom states my contract will remain exactly the same as before.

Also, my latest statement issued today (28th of Feb) states at the top, "Your agreement started 12th August 2017"..

However as I had a decent (£27) discount, even if it was extended to 12 months it would actually just have given me that good deal for longer! :)

Fair do's then, I'm surprised they'd do that but I know that the new Virgin Media Store (for one) service is struggling with the old technology in the Tivo boxes. Perhaps that's partly why they're pushing out the new boxes. Considering what Sky charge for the Q boxes that's pretty cool from Virgin.
  • Hey guys

Can't seem to find the email with the v6 free upgrade.
    Could someone send me a screenshot so I know what it looks like

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family