PayPal chargeback?

edited 23 January 2018 at 8:37AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
19 replies 2.5K views
ammoniteammonite Forumite
1.4K Posts
I sold an item on eBay in October. Total cost including postage £11.24

Just before new year I got a chargeback on PayPal for the team. As it had been so long I can't find proof of postage anywhere and I'm mad as I paid for signed for delivery too �� I can't find my receipt at all.

PayPal have sided with the buyer as I can't find proof of
Postage. I emailed conversations I had had with the buyer as they said they needed it by a certain date.

I haven't heard anything via eBay just PayPal. I don't understand what is being disputed? If they hadn't received the item or if it wasn't hem who authorised the transaction surely they would raise a case in eBay?

Furthermore PayPal have charged me another £14 and I don't know what for. Can anyone explain?

I know it's my fault for not keeping the receipt safe but I'm so fed up with eBay PayPal and the fact they always side with the buyer. I feel like IVE been scammed �� Any advice or explanation of this I would be grateful. So cross ��

Replies

• 19lottie8219lottie82 Forumite
    6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The buyer will have claimed they didn’t authorise the transaction. You can’t raise this type of claim with eBay, only PayPal.

As you didn’t refund off your own back, or provide proof of postage, PayPal have refunded the buyer on your behalf and charged you £14 for the privilege. I’ve heard people previously say if you phone PayPal and ask they will refund the £14 (not sure if this is true or not).

I’ve had this happen to me before and it’s very frustrating- be glad it was only a small amount and use it as a lesson learned. From now on upload the reference number against the PayPal / ebay record straight after the item has been posted.
  • ammoniteammonite Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    But they have no proof that they did or didn't authorise it? My proof of postage can't confirm that! 😭
    Thanks for your response
    Is there somewhere on eBay to upload tracking numbers? I didn't know that!
  • Chargebacks can be for INR or unauthorised use. It will tell you which it is.
    A Chargeback or Reversal was issued against you for the reason of an “Unauthorised Payment” (except for any “Unauthorised Payment” initiated in an environment not hosted by PayPal); or

A Chargeback or Claim was issued against you for the reason of “Not Received”,

The £14 charge is explained below. If you ring them and advise you were not aware of it, they may reverse it.
    The receipt of a payment into your PayPal Account does not equate to the receipt of cleared funds.

A notification that E-money has been sent to you, does not amount to a receipt of E-money in your Account unless you have accepted the payment.

You acknowledge and agree that a payment transaction is completed and received by you even if it becomes subject to a Reversal, Chargeback. Claim, Reserve or hold.

When you receive a payment, you are liable to PayPal for the full amount of the payment plus any costs that we incur and any Fees if the payment is later invalidated for any reason.

In addition to any other liability, if there is a Reversal, or if you lose a Chargeback or Claim and you are not entitled to a payment under the Seller Protection Programme, you will owe PayPal an amount equal to the Reversal, Chargeback or Claim and our Fees per Schedule 1 (including a Chargeback Fee if applicable) and PayPal will debit your Balance to recover such an amount.

Did you add the tracking info to the eBay sale - if you did you may be able to retrieve it from there.

If you can find it you will be covered.
    11.7 What are the delivery requirements?

Protection for Unauthorised Payment
    For services and intangible items (in countries where such transactions are eligible for PayPal seller protection): Proof of Delivery
    For all other transactions: Proof of Postage (minimum) or Proof of Delivery

Protection for Item Not Received
    Proof of Delivery

• qskqsk Forumite
    333 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    chancesare wrote: »
    Did you add the tracking info to the eBay sale - if you did you may be able to retrieve it from there.
    I don't think OP did. Last time I had a chargeback for unauthorised, Paypal emailed me saying that as I had added tracking info I did not need to do anything. So if you add tracking in eBay, Paypal would pick it up.
  • PunPun Forumite
    740 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ammonite wrote: »
    I know it's my fault for not keeping the receipt safe but I'm so fed up with eBay PayPal and the fact they always side with the buyer. I feel like IVE been scammed �� Any advice or explanation of this I would be grateful. So cross ��

I don't think many people would keep a proof of posting receipt for 3 months!

That said, if there was a tracking number when you posted it, it is hardly ebay or Paypal's fault that you didn't add this to the listing at the time you posted. The option to do so is clearly shown on both the order page and on your homepage, and on the e-mail you get notifying you an item has been sold.
    https://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/upload-tracking.html
  • jeffukjeffuk Forumite
    532 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Pun wrote: »

I do, and for exactly this reason.
  • BargainJunkyBargainJunky Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭

That said, if there was a tracking number when you posted it, it is hardly ebay or Paypal's fault that you didn't add this to the listing at the time you posted. The option to do so is clearly shown on both the order page and on your homepage, and on the e-mail you get notifying you an item has been sold.

I also keep proof of posting receipts for ages and if I send tracked always enter the tracking number once sent.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that anyone who reads this forum keeps their POPs for the 6 months we recommend!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • PunPun Forumite
    740 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I think I'd sooner take the occasional loss rather than get so anal about it all!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals