No compers allowed

Options

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tgroom57 wrote: »
    None of you have noticed comps where the prize mustn't be sold on ? I must be the only person reading the terms & conditions these days.

I read them, Global (Capital, Heart, Smooth etc) and many others have them -

4.4 All Prizes are non-transferable and may not be given, assigned or sold to another person.
  • pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    Bradden wrote: »
    It's a facebook giveaway.. is that legally the same as a Free Prize Draw I'm no expert and I doubt that they are.

As far as I can see, according to the ASA, the rules defining how a competition or offer of a prize is conducted is not dependent on the medium. That it is promoted on Facebook is irrelevant, it is still a free entry, prize draw, with no skill required. Thus, the winner must be an independent random choice from ALL entrants.
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I didn't enter this but saw the post about re-drawing winners who he deemed were compers (weren't we all compers as soon as we entered our first giveaway?)

I would have entered if I had seen it because I am a consumer as well as a comper, and my husband is a music producer and so would have much use from the prize. We've been browsing around for new music equipment but guess which company we won't be using now?
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • vanpopple
    vanpopple Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree LadyM.

I cant believe how some companies dont even realise just how much potential compers have for their business.

I have bought (and won) things i didnt even know existed.
    So if i didnt enter competitions i wouldnt have known about these things.

Just because some compers sell prizes, Theres a saying is always true (what goes around comes around) I for one have purchased many items over the years purely because ive seen it in a comp..
    Still comping, after 2 heart attacks 4th feb & 6th feb, and a stent put in.. 45 years old only:eek:
  • stellar
    stellar Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    None of you have noticed comps where the prize mustn't be sold on ? I must be the only person reading the terms & conditions these days.

In a recent competition I was surprised to see in the T&Cs that the prize must not be sold on! Rather surprised by this I searched on here and Google but could not find any more information about this condition.
    No spam please I'm British!
  • peainapod
    peainapod Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    Not right at all, they were happy to receive the exposure from the compers through the liking, sharing, tagging and traffic to their website ...
  • pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options

I would think that this can only apply where the promoter still has control to the point of delivery eg booking a holiday and specifying passengers on a flight. I believe that once goods are in your possession and legally owned by you, no person can specify what you can do with those good subsequently, whether you personally use them, sell them, give them away or destroy them. It would certainly not be reasonable behaviour to forbid the selling on of a car 10 years after you won it for example. Whatever promoters put in terms and conditions, they still must adhere to law, and conditions which are unreasonable such as above, or contradict current legislation cannot be enforced.

Can't find much about this yet, but an interesting article on reselling for profit goods bought cheaply on the internet is worth a look: http://www.steeleslaw.co.uk/competition-law-can-i-stop-my-goods-from-being-resold-on-websites-such-as-amazon-or-ebay/
  • stellar
    stellar Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pate-ci0 wrote: »
    I would think that this can only apply where the promoter still has control to the point of delivery eg booking a holiday and specifying passengers on a flight. I believe that once goods are in your possession and legally owned by you, no person can specify what you can do with those good subsequently, whether you personally use them, sell them, give them away or destroy them. It would certainly not be reasonable behaviour to forbid the selling on of a car 10 years after you won it for example. Whatever promoters put in terms and conditions, they still must adhere to law, and conditions which are unreasonable such as above, or contradict current legislation cannot be enforced.

Can't find much about this yet, but an interesting article on reselling for profit goods bought cheaply on the internet is worth a look: http://www.steeleslaw.co.uk/competition-law-can-i-stop-my-goods-from-being-resold-on-websites-such-as-amazon-or-ebay/

I agree, this is the competition where it says 'cannot be sold for commercial gain'
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5749545&highlight=sold+on

The product received as the prize cannot be exchanged or refunded via the website or stores. The product selection must be submitted at one time and cannot be divided.
    The product received as the prize cannot be sold for commercial gain via any re-seller or re-selling website.
    No spam please I'm British!
  • peainapod
    peainapod Posts: 264 Forumite
    Options
    They've now removed the post on their website about re drawing the winner 3 times. They've also blocked me from their page after I pointed out that what they did was unfair and wrong.
  • ChamomileTao
    Options
    ' I've seen and run competitions when the winner has said "Great.. I'll sell it on ebay". '

I have never seen anyone post anything like this, please provide an example?

Even if you did intend to sell the prize - which is your right given it is now your personal property - who would be daft enough to say so as soon as they won.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure