scart to HDMI confusion

Options
Much as i've looked into it online -i'm getting confused.
I have an old sky box with scart -which i need to connect to my tv which is hdmi.:o
So i just get the rather rare it seems, scart to HDMI lead ? One friiend said yes , another said no .
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-RGB-SCART-Cable-TV-AV-Lead-for-Playstation-PS1-PS2-PS3-Slim-line-Game-Console/172375772826?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
Or one of these , coupler things ?
http://www.cablesuk.co.uk/HDMI-Female-to-Female-Coupler-Adapter-p745.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_campaign=FeedReach&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJbTBRDkARIsAIA0a5OvSp8wfEo_gmc6YhW0XkE-0BpBJpq9-v2Kng6dwqVsUEmLb_9yC3waAo78EALw_wcB

Or do i need this convertor thing aswell ? Also this seems conveniently plug and play, whereas others require it be plugged into socket

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scart-to-HDMI-HDMI-To-Scart-Upscaler-Audio-Video-Converter-Adapter-1080P/152870262973?hash=item2397c718bd:m:m5-3-epcI9EizMUNeAR_Xvg :o

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It varies on the TV and device. I have had success with some TV's and monitors and not others.

Get a newer sky box?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    use SCART to component (phonos) and audio - assuming the TV has component.

Newer skyboxes tend to be quicker, but the menu system leaves something to be desired.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,616 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Scart is analogue, HDMI is digital. So you need a converter box, and it needs power from somewhere. That may be from a USB cable and/or a USB type charger.
    Good article here:
    http://www.techturtle.co.uk/convert-scart-to-hdmi/

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• tali
    tali Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    use SCART to component (phonos) and audio - assuming the TV has component.

Newer skyboxes tend to be quicker, but the menu system leaves something to be desired.

Thanks , tried that didn't work
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    The only thing that's going to work is your third link, the scart to HDMI converter.
    That requires a power supply through USB.

That's presuming your TV doesn't have Component or Composite inputs.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 January 2018 at 9:31PM
    Options
    tali wrote: »
    Thanks , tried that didn't work

I'm confused how you could have tried this and found it not working.

Maybe there is confusion between component and composite video.

Does the TV have the Composite "AV" input, with the red white and yellow inputs? If so there's no way that this wouldn't work with one of these. You then need to select the correct SOURCE on the TV.

Another Moneysaving plan, given you're not fussed about actually having HD quality pictures, is to use the standard aerial cable from the RF OUT socket on the Sky box to the aerial input on the new TV, and then on the TV's setup menu perform a channel scan in ANALOGUE mode.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Its a long time since I've had one of those sky boxes with a SCART. IIRC it has two SCART sockets - did you try the one labelled TV - I think the other might be labelled VCR and maybe it only had composite signal and no component.

Something like that...

Maybe there is no component on the SCART at all - but my memory says there was.
  • tali
    tali Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    lammy82 wrote: »
    I'm confused how you could have tried this and found it not working.

Maybe there is confusion between component and composite video.

Does the TV have the Composite "AV" input, with the red white and yellow inputs? If so there's no way that this wouldn't work with one of these. You then need to select the correct SOURCE on the TV.

Another Moneysaving plan, given you're not fussed about actually having HD quality pictures, is to use the standard aerial cable from the RF OUT socket on the Sky box to the aerial input on the new TV, and then on the TV's setup menu perform a channel scan in ANALOGUE mode.

Here is picture of connections
    lg-49lj515vjttfg07046NCMM_600x600.jpg
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    You've got component or composite inputs.
    This will likely be selectable in the TV menu, so if you are trying component leads, make sure the input isn't set to composite.

The audio red goes in the right hand socket.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think that old Sky boxes output Component on the SCART outputs, so you will need the Composite video & audio cable (Yellow/White/Red), connected to the Yellow (labelled VIDEO/Y on the TV) and White & Red (labelled AUDIO). Then select the right source on the TV and make sure it's set to Composite not Component (it might detect this automatically)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure