PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Rental income deduction/relief

Options
2»

Comments

• ileven1225
    Options
    Mahsroh wrote: »
    Yes, this would be correct. If you notified them quite late in the day and they send a letter asking you to complete a tax return close to the deadline they do give you extra time to pay. Just bear in mind there may be some interest charges on whatever you owe, but (I'm assuming you wont owe significant amounts, I.e. in the thousands) - the interest charges should be negligible.

What interest rate they will charge? My annual salary is £42k and the rental income (after expense deduction) is £6k. So unfortunately I think i have to pay £1k (43k-42k) for 20% tax and the rest £5k for 40%, it equals to £2.2k. How much interest they will charge on it?

Thanks.
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    ileven1225 wrote: »
    What interest rate they will charge? My annual salary is £42k and the rental income (after expense deduction) is £6k. So unfortunately I think i have to pay £1k (43k-42k) for 20% tax and the rest £5k for 40%, it equals to £2.2k. How much interest they will charge on it?

Thanks.

Not sure to be honest. Someone else may be able to advise. Let me go back to records from when I had a similar thing. To be fair, they may not bother charging as long as you submit your return by 31st. Not sure if they give a couple of months grace.

I'll see if I still have the record of how much I was charged, and get back to you.
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure to be honest. Someone else may be able to advise. Let me go back to records from when I had a similar thing. To be fair, they may not bother charging as long as you submit your return by 31st. Not sure if they give a couple of months grace.

I'll see if I still have the record of how much I was charged, and get back to you.

Just checked, it was 3%.

So in your case, if you owe £2200 then you're looking at £66 per year, so if we're talking about 3 months you're looking at £16.50 total..... So nothing earth shattering (assuming same interest rate of course).
  • ileven1225
    Options
    Just checked, it was 3%.

So in your case, if you owe £2200 then you're looking at £66 per year, so if we're talking about 3 months you're looking at £16.50 total..... So nothing earth shattering (assuming same interest rate of course).

Thanks a lot!
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ileven1225 wrote: »

Thanks.
    yes, 2.2k of tax, and the official interest rate is 3%

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-hmrc-interest-rates-for-late-and-early-payments/rates-and-allowances-hmrc-interest-rates
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport