TalkTalk broadband - running slow

Options
I have TT broadband. It's supposed to run at upto 8mb as we all know. It's never attained that speed and seems to run upto around 1.5mbps. I'm ok with that, but lately it seems to be slow and running at 512k. I don't feel that this is acceptable. What's the crack about who and how to complain to, in order to get the speeds ratcheted upwards?

Comments

• Bagger
    Bagger Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Steve_xx

Mine appears to be running at 300k most of the time although I am very close to my exchange. I've looked at changing my ISP when my contract expires in a couple of months. However, because I have my telephone service with them (which I am very happy about), I am unable to move my broadband. Hence I am looking for an ISP which will provide a good deal with a line and broadband. I know Virgin gives you a 2MB circuit for around £15 including line rental for one year. The other one I considered was Orange, but I'm not sure about that.

As for complaining to TT, I'm not sure how far you will get. I just feel they do not have enough capacity.

Bagger
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bagger wrote: »
    Steve_xx

Mine appears to be running at 300k most of the time although I am very close to my exchange. I've looked at changing my ISP when my contract expires in a couple of months. However, because I have my telephone service with them (which I am very happy about), I am unable to move my broadband. Hence I am looking for an ISP which will provide a good deal with a line and broadband. I know Virgin gives you a 2MB circuit for around £15 including line rental for one year. The other one I considered was Orange, but I'm not sure about that.

As for complaining to TT, I'm not sure how far you will get. I just feel they do not have enough capacity.

Thanks for the information. Before July I was with Zen and had been for about 2 years. Zen's 512kb service seemed faster, consistently, than TalkTalks upto 8mb offering. It really is not satisfactory for TalkTalk to be purporting to offer a service when it cannot possibly deliver it for the majority of the time. I thik it might be the case that a lot of their customers are not attaining anything like the promised 8mb. As I say, a lot of the time it seems to operate at 1.5mbps, and I'm happy enough with that when it does. I think there are some advertising standards issues with TT that need bringing to the fore.
    I know that people will say that you get what you pay for. But, if TT advertise that they will provide a service then it is reasonable to expect them to provide it.
    Like you, I switched the exchange line from BT to TT. I don't want the hassle of cancelling the contract, though if I did cancel it I would do so by citing their breach of service provision. OFTEL will need to take a look at the problems associated with shifting from TT to another, or indeed back to BT.
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    I am with TT also, been with them since August 2006, mine runs quite slow also...out of interest, what routers are you using?? Mine is an Ozenda
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    I'm using a wireless router. It's the Netgear model that TT advertise on their site for use with their broadband.
  • Bagger
    Bagger Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My router is a Netgear DG834N. I had the Netgear DG834GT before then.

Bagger
  • dounome
    dounome Posts: 355 Forumite
    Options
    I called TT about their 8mb broadband which i purchased and the answer i got was "we only say UP TO 8mb and not exactly 8mb"
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    dounome wrote: »
    I called TT about their 8mb broadband which i purchased and the answer i got was "we only say UP TO 8mb and not exactly 8mb"

Yes, I understand that it is upto 8mb. However, I think it is not reasonable that it never attains more than 512kbps. At times it appears to be at 1.5mbps and I'm quite happy with those levels. I don;t expect it to attain 8mb at anytime, but I think it is realistic to expect better than 512kbps.
  • donaldd
    donaldd Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I have just cancelled Talk3 within the 30 day trial, I'm going to be out of pocket for their wireless router £20 and connection £30.

Even though it was going to save me nearly £20 a month the slow speed and timeouts just made going online frustrating. The changeover went well with a good 8Mb connection. Had to adjust the MTU to try to fix timeouts and the final straw was when they dropped my line to 2Mb to fix it ! Although I got less timeouts at that speed, text usenet was painfully slow and having got used to good speed with my previous ISP I felt it just wasn't worth it.
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Yes, I understand that it is upto 8mb. However, I think it is not reasonable that it never attains more than 512kbps. At times it appears to be at 1.5mbps and I'm quite happy with those levels. I don;t expect it to attain 8mb at anytime, but I think it is realistic to expect better than 512kbps.
  • free4440273
    free4440273 Posts: 38,438 Forumite
    Options
    even though you are out of pocket, in the long run it's a probably a sensible move: i have been with them for over a year and connection is dreadful. you can connect but it's slow during most parts of the day. and as for contacting them...a friend has has virgin adsl since March and although it's 'only' 2mb connection also, he can consistently get online without any problems.
    BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? :shocked: OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS :cool:

THE PUNISHER :dance: MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT:cool:
  • a_gwtw
    a_gwtw Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    I've been with Talk3 for almost a month now and have had no problem with them so far, maybe i'm just lucky after reading a few threads here.

Broadband worked straight away on switching day, and the speed's normally about 3.2 MB, which is the same as when I was with Madasafish. Both of them advertised 8Mb but I've never got near 4Mb; but perhaps it's something to do with my area or my router.

Wish I hadn't bought Talktalk router though, as I still can use the old router and when I decided to return the untouched Talktalk router to them, it's beyond the return period, shame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure