MSE News: 'Switchable' smart meters delayed

Options

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was just musing about "dumb" smart meters -how can the customer prove that the supplier has disabled the comms hub? I suspect that they can't!!
  • SpotlandRules
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    I was just musing about "dumb" smart meters -how can the customer prove that the supplier has disabled the comms hub? I suspect that they can't!!

I assume a quick look at your bill would solve that problem. In theory, a household newly installed smart meter should not have estimations.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Forgive me but that is a slightly confusing comment given that you are quite happy to use the internet and, no doubt, other technology. The UK smart meter rollout programme may be a complete shambles but the concept of a smart electricity grid is a much needed - and long overdue - improvement in my opinion.

Simple really, they don’t work and they are rubbish. Give it ten years.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 January 2018 at 9:56AM
    Options

I would hope that when a project costs over £12Bn that there is something to show for it - even now. Whether it is good value for money is an altogether different question.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    phillw wrote: »
    There is a bit of a difference between using the internet and putting your electricity supply at the mercy of a teenage hacker.
    A teenager could also cut you cable with garden shears, or put a hammer through your meter (if it's located outside). It would be a lot less hassle than hacking too. :rotfl:
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    While I don't want one until SMETS2, I know plenty of people who have them (all my neighbours had them fitted while I refused), and they most certainly do work. My neighbours actually like them as they no longer have to do anything but 'pay the bill' when it comes. They are not switchers though, so SMETS1 is fine for them.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn’t touch a smart meter with a barge pole.

Same here.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    My neighbours actually like them as they no longer have to do anything but 'pay the bill' when it comes.
    That's ok so long as the meter is working ok. If it isn't, and the data being recieved by the supplier is wrong, then the bills will also be wrong.

The convenience for the customer of not having to read the meter coupled with not checking the bill is correct because "well it is technology it must be right" is inevitably going to mean some people pay the wrong amount for their energy and may have a nasty surprise when they eventually discover.

Even with a smart meter people should still be encouraged to read their own meter from time to time, to check the bills, and to do a 'sanity check' to make sure what they are paying is reasonable for what they expect (e.g. comparing to previous year's consumption).
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A teenager could also cut you cable with garden shears, or put a hammer through your meter (if it's located outside). It would be a lot less hassle than hacking too.
    I would enjoy watching them try this, it might be less hassle than hacking, but unlikely to be a repeatable bit of fun.

Hacking is a very real risk with a smart meter network. Not necessarily for the individual customer, but certainly for the system as a whole. And it will be when, not if, someone eventually manages to do it.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A teenager could also cut you cable with garden shears, or put a hammer through your meter (if it's located outside). It would be a lot less hassle than hacking too. :rotfl:
    Or pull the main fuse which seems to be a fun game in some areas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure