We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is there any hope of a claim?

Options
beckie
beckie Posts: 419 Forumite
edited 17 January 2018 at 10:53PM in Reclaim bank & credit card charges
Hi all, I cant remember who I had PPI with as it was so long ago, I'm talking 24-26 years ago. I cant even remember what it would have been for, but I'm guessing possibly a catalogue company or store card. Some distant memory makes me think possibly next directory and i'm sure there was one other but I cant remember who.

Anyway, one of them, I do remember me phoning and asking what that payment was on my statement, was told it was compulsory and when I said cant I opt out, they told me no. I remember it was in their t&c's that my monthly payments on the debt would: first ppi would be taken out of it, followed by interest, followed by debt. Strange how i can remember that bit but not the important bit of who or what? lol But I do believe I was definitely missold/misinformed at least once (and i think i managed to get the other removed after ringing them, though i wasn't reimbursed).

So my question please is, with the period of time that has elapsed, the fact that i'm unsure who i had ppi with and no paperwork, am I right in thinking theres no hope of me claiming ppi back?
TIA

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    beckie wrote: »

So my question please is, with the period of time that has elapsed, the fact that i'm unsure who i had ppi with and no paperwork, am I right in thinking theres no hope of me claiming ppi back?
    That's a pretty accurate assessment.
  • pgthompsonco
    Options
    But then you might be able to firm up the date and track the retailer or finance company through old bank statements, Failing that who did you bank with? Have you moved since them?
    If you write to your bank with your then address they may be able to trace a transaction. Also there were only a number of PPI insurance companies and getting a list of them might teigger your memory.
  • societys_child
    Options
    But then you might be able to firm up the date and track the retailer or finance company through old bank statements, Failing that who did you bank with? Have you moved since them?
    If you write to your bank with your then address they may be able to trace a transaction. Also there were only a number of PPI insurance companies and getting a list of them might teigger your memory.
    None of which is likely to help the op find who actually sold them the PPI policy.
  • Chrisbee1
    Options
    In the 1980’s I got myself a Nat West Access Card and now every time I question them about it they say that they can’t find any records of it so I have to write to them in Edinburgh to allow them to search for it in the archives, what do I do please help someone??
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    send a SAR and £10 - there's a link on he main page of the PPI forum
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    send a SAR and £10 - there's a link on he main page of the PPI forum
    Duplicate post answered in more detail here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73773605
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories