How much to shoe a horse?

Options
Just interested to find out the regional variatrions on shoeing costs.
How much does your farrier charge for a trim, removes, full set? Do they charge travelling - not many go to the forge these days unless you are very lucky...aah memories!!
For example one of our farriers charges £20 fro a trim, £40ish for removes and £60 ish for a new set. Depends on the animal of course.
Our second farrier ( remedial shoeing on a chronic laminitic) charges considerably more, and when we had to have plastics it was a small mortgage:eek: :eek:

Comments

• JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    I've recently sold my horse but my farrier charged £55 for a new set (every 8 weeks) although I expect he'll be increasing his prices soon. Not sure what a trim is but to refit the old shoes is about £35.

Since selling my horse I cant believe how much better off I am, reckon about £250 per month :D

PS: I'm in Surrey
  • orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

It costs me £17.50 for a trim and £55 for a new set every 6 weeks, I don't know about refits.....I 've never been that fortunate:D

A friend of mine used to pay £95 for a remedial shoeing every 4 weeks!!!

Thats in Essex btw
  • kitchen_buff
    Options
    I was once went for a job as a blacksmith, I was asked if I had any experience in shooing horses, I said no but I told a donkey to get lost once.
  • WindChim
    WindChim Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    I was once went for a job as a blacksmith, I was asked if I had any experience in shooing horses, I said no but I told a donkey to get lost once.

I'm soooo glad someone posted this ... as soon as I saw the title I wanted to but didn't have the nerve - superb!! :rotfl:
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    we are in kent and farrier prices vary our farrier charges my daughter 35 for trim and front shoes and 65 for full set.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I am in Hampshire and a new set is about £65 and a refit about £55. I pay £20 for a trim on an unshod mare.

Farriers will never be poor!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • penguin83
    penguin83 Posts: 4,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It seems a bit cheaper our way (North West) £45.00 for a full set and £15.00 for a trim. He will put a lost shoe back on for free if its still in a good condition. Mind you the yard I'm at has 100 horses there so its probably done at a reduced price for bulk. x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • catlover1_2
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in Bucks and I pay £60 for a full set ... not sure about a trim or refit though.

xx
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    and how about the 2 hour wait from our farrier which happens quite a lot so now daughter has moved yards with more people hopefully the next farrier is not so unreliable but getting back to prices with farriers i think it is better to get a decent farrier than argue over a few quid no hoof no horse the feet are the most important thing with a horse so it is money well spent.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • mehefin
    mehefin Posts: 628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to all who have replied ( sensibly!)
    davsidipp wrote: »
    and how about the 2 hour wait from our farrier which happens quite a lot.
    Know what you mean - we even ring one of our farriers about 20 mins before due to see if he will be on time... and he invariably isn't even when he's said he will be :mad:

Not querying if our farriers are expensive - we are lucky to have two very good ones master and his ex apprentice. The younger is much more willing to give new ideas a try and is always going to demos, courses etc..
    Unfortunately expertise costs - sometimes think we are personally sponsoring him!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure