🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

LPAs - a cautionary tale

Options
chipp
chipp Posts: 141 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My parents both set up LPAs four years ago. I did mine more recently so I know that until a couple of years ago at least, the phrase "cannot be used until I lack mental capacity" was standard suggested wording and intended to protect the donor (person making the LPA) from unscrupulous attorneys.

But because of the closed mindset of so many people in authority it seems to render the document unworkable.

Alzheimer's and a stroke have left both parents now lacking mental capacity. They are not drooling but they are no longer confident of making important decisions. They want me, their attorney, to use the LPAs but the fact that they have given the registered documents to me counts for nothing it seems. Ironically, the very act of making the decision to ask me to act suggests to officialdom that they DO have mental capacity!

It seems to come down to differing understandings of the meaning of the word "lack", as in whether whether it used in the context of total absence or whether just incomplete. The gov.uk LPA website has a link to the Mental Capacity Act code of practice which does clarify things, but trying to get persuade the people who need to, to read chapter 4, is an uphill struggle.
If you can't think of anything nice to write, say nothing. Rudeness isn't clever.

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The thing about LPAs is that you choose attorneys you trust. Once registered your attorneys can act for you regardless of your mental capacity, so using such terminology, as you have discovered, simply confuses matters for organisations you try to register the LPA with.
  • kkgree1
    kkgree1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The simplest thing may be to redo the LPAs without the wording about lacking mental capacity.

We did this last year for my Mother-in-law as her LPA from 2009 didn't have wording required for us (as her attorneys) to manage a large investment. We looked at several options and having taken advice from the bank's legal department, decided it was cheaper and easier to redo the LPA.

From personal experience, we operate her LPA with her still having mental capacity but I have had to remind her banks of this as some wrongly assume she doesn't.
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (November 2020) £4,784
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business