Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• Placitasgirl
    Options
    The Virgin RS Issue 12 is a passbook only account; there's no visibility online at all.

When I opened mine last week I was told I could check my balance by popping into the lounge with my passbook or by calling the customer service line, and going through some security questions to access the account.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    This may have been asked before... Virgin in a search is a waste of time:
    As I was in town on another mission, I just* opened my first Virgin store RS ac :

Does it show up in your on line accounts list eventually?

*17miles, busy roads and parking fees inhibitor.
    Nope. The website and store computer systems are completely separated.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,992 Forumite
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Bummer. I like to able to see that my cash isn't stuck somewhere in cyber space.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bummer. I like to able to see that my cash isn't stuck somewhere in cyber space.

It isn't. It's safely tucked away in the safe with your name on it in the store. That's the one compensation for having to travel to open it and phoning each month to check the balance :)
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 September 2018 at 2:10PM
    Options
    When I opened mine last week I was told I could check my balance by popping into the lounge with my passbook or by calling the customer service line, and going through some security questions to access the account.
    Same with me. I always call them after making an initial (small) FP to make sure it has arrived. The process described by Placitasgirl works well, and their call centre staff are efficient. Never had a problem with the money not arriving, or being able to confirm with the call centre.

The only thing to be aware of is the FP may take a day to be applied to your account, it isn't always the same day. I'm not sure, but I believe they have a processing cut-off around 2pm.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »

The girl who opened my a/c @ Haymarket could see my many online accounts on her computer.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,992 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2018 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Yep - they ought to do a mod (avoiding a TSB melt) to allow store RSs/passbook acs to be visible on line. YBS does.

PS Yep, I'd phoned the store and got a confirmation. Lady said phone there, or their CS, .. they're always happy to help.

(See what I did there..:))
    1882 Posts: 496 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Popped into the VM "store" today to have my RS 12 passbook updated and sure enough my online bank transfers were there. Not as convenient as the online ones but I do work across the road of the store so almost.
  • Chooser
    Chooser Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    SANTANDER REGULAR SAVER
    Hoping someone here can advise, my partner and I both have a 123 (old style, not lite) and a RS, with two payments short of a year. We have recently bought a property so emptied the 123s, except for £1000 each, basically to cover the next two £200 payments to RS. I have now realised that we are still paying the £5 monthly fee, it would be best to just shut the 123s down, no longer needed. I emailed to ask what happens to the RS if no further money paid in, I think that is ok, but is the maturing and paying of the interest dependent on having a 123? Answer was incomprehensible and I'm none the wiser. Would we still get full interest on what's been paid in, would we have to wait until 12 months, if yes could it be withdrawn without the 123 to pay it into. Not keen on paying the monthly fee if can avoid it. thanks.
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Chooser wrote: »
    SANTANDER REGULAR SAVER
    Hoping someone here can advise, my partner and I both have a 123 (old style, not lite) and a RS, with two payments short of a year. We have recently bought a property so emptied the 123s, except for £1000 each, basically to cover the next two £200 payments to RS. I have now realised that we are still paying the £5 monthly fee, it would be best to just shut the 123s down, no longer needed. I emailed to ask what happens to the RS if no further money paid in, I think that is ok, but is the maturing and paying of the interest dependent on having a 123? Answer was incomprehensible and I'm none the wiser. Would we still get full interest on what's been paid in, would we have to wait until 12 months, if yes could it be withdrawn without the 123 to pay it into. Not keen on paying the monthly fee if can avoid it. thanks.

T&C's say "To be eligible for the higher interest rate you must be a 1I2I3 World or a Santander Select customer at point of opening " so you should be fine for maturing and interest.

Withdrawals are fine and won't affect the interest except for having a smaller balance.
    Nothing to stop you closing the accounts in branch or by post and you should get interest to date.
    Not sure how you get funds out without a Santander CA so maybe close the RS's and get the funds, then close the CA's?
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure