PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Had a somewhat fraught discussion with DH about whether a long-owned item that has never been utilised is in fact going to prove useful or just be a dratted nuisance if installed as intended..........

We had a similar discussion a few days ago about the garage.

I 'won'. Or, rather, two charities did as DH donated 4 never, ever ridden bikes (very long story) to the local bike charity and two large items of fitness equipment and a radiator to a charity that sells shed /man cave stuff.

In gratitude I finally admitted that I was unlikely to need the large box of empty jars I was hoarding. Just as well I looked into the box as some had shattered. :o:o

Now there is a lot more room for the spiders to scuttle about in _pale_
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 2 June 2018 at 5:04PM
    Options
    Stuff is being released! A great big pile. I was a bit unkind to one dress (I hate wearing you! Bit unnecessary :) ) the old Kondo magic is coming back and I a;m feeling so happy and organised.
    Last week I repurposed an over-radiator airer. It was an impulse purchase for a few quid a few years ago, does not fit and was used occasionally but it main past time was being a trip hazard. It has been buddied up with an over door hanger set of hooks (also did not fit, impulse purchase years ago) which was repurposed at the side of the wardrobe to hang bags from.
    Now the overdoor hanger is hanging off the side of the wardrobe with the airier hanging off, and all of my scarves are arranged on the airer so I can see them! It sounds awful but it looks good and works really well, if somewhat precarious.

Slightly less happy subject, apologies if it has already been discussed and if you are feeling a bit down stop reading now....but has anyone looked into the new trend known as Swedish Death Clearing? Whilst my paperwork is all in order if I wee to suddenly depart there are certainly diaries etc which I would not want made public! plus having experienced a few sudden losses lately, I hav been thinking about arrangements for things like digital death (social media passwords) and maybe a record of ideas of what I would want at a funeral. Any tips or suggestions re articles on this would be appreciated
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Goingtodoit - check in the privacy settings of your social media accounts, most have a legacy section so you can nominate someone to deal with your account if you die.

As for diaries, why not read them one last time (if you feel the need) and then dispose of them now, it will be one less admin task cluttering your mind. Having never written a diary I'm not sure I understand the significance of keeping them for years so apologies if I'm being a bit blunt.

Things you'd like at you're funeral can be written into your Will or you could make a formal note of them and distribute to the people most likely to be arranging it for you. We have 2 sealed envelopes with MIL and FILS wishes written down in, as do other siblings.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=GoingToDoIt;74359392

Whilst my paperwork is all in order if I wee to suddenly depart there are certainly diaries etc which I would not want made public!
    [/QUOTE]

I can answer that from personal experience and yes I have shredded all my diaries and the love letters from my husband from around 1968. I was widowed 3 years ago and having done all the clearing, realised that no corner or secret small drawer will be left untouched. Anything very personal and anything that you would not want children (adults) to find after a demise or a stroke or an accident, when rooting for items for hospital or care home or for clearing
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Greetings, fellow kondo-ites, I have been absent in The North (I know it was there because that was what it said on the road signs as I went up the A1).

Those of you in the North-East may have sensed a disturbance in The Force as the hired GQ-mobile whizzed past your towns and cities.:rotfl:

Have purchased nothing other than admissions to museums, petrol and food and have actually come away with two fewer things that I left home with (one lost, one donated to a fellow-traveller in need).

Paused for 20 hours at the family homestead and Mum announced that on a future visit that she wants me to help her sort out the button stash into the ones she thinks she will use and the rest. This stash occupies multiple tins and tubs in a large plastic crate in the Bedroom Cupboard of Doom. She has also selected various household items to be added to the bootsale pile for this summer, and instructed that whatever we can get for them, is jointly for Kid Bruv and myself.

I have declined the offer of more pillowcases, as I have plenty, and Dad has been turfing out old clothes, so much so that there are empty spaces in the drawers, to Mum's astonishment.

Mum has declared herself as suffering from Stuffocation, so the first step of recognising that there is a problem has been taken. From here on in, it's only logistics.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 June 2018 at 5:43PM
    Options
    oooh GQ, sounds as though you have successfully got that starter motor working at your parents home :D

I have been an unexpectedly busy bee, it all started because I wanted somewhere cooler to cure my garlic, which will be ready in 1-2 weeks and they don`t want too hot. So it will be in my cool wooden outbuilding but not on the floor and then one thing lead to another and in process of looking for something suitable, I went off on a tangent as you do

I have 3, easy on the eye and very useful garden storage boxes, we used them fully for over 8 years so far and they will be moving with me
    https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Garden-Structures/Garden-Storage/Lifetime-568-Litre-Simulated-Wood-Look-Outdoor-Storage-Deck-Box/p/1031663

By various ways and means, I have easily managed to get 2 boxes into one box ie have removed all that shading for the greenhouses which went 3 years ago, all those cushions and covers for outdoor chairs that went 3 years ago and have now got 5 large bags full for the area of the tip where people can scavenge

Oh I remember how this came about, it was lock n locks and I have very very many and have given many away but am reluctant as justin may call. I have systems whereby they stack so neatly and labelled and until I move, I have no idea, so these justin boxes will now go into that empty large garden box :D and to say I am delighted is an understatement. I will bide my time filling it now, don`t want the neighbours to think I have a screw loose but most are being kept in the garage, in and on top of and around a small chest freezer. I need to carry them in full view, so will wait until they are out. I am only going to put LnL boxes in there and potential useful ones for here will be right at the top again for justin

While I was at it, 1 box was completely full of garden stuff like nets and brassica cages, I took them to the allotment, brought non-useful stuff back and they are also going to the re-use area. I am not keeping anything in the house or car, there were mega spiders everywhere and I had to wear gloves.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    oooh GQ, sounds as though you have successfully got that starter motor working at your parents home :D
    :( Sady, the driver for this decluttering is the fast-increasing disability of Mum's Parkinson's, rather than a happy urge to climb out from under the hoard and skip into the future lighter and freer. But, it is as it is, and we just get on with it.

I am waiting for the Provincial City traffic to ease off (rush hour starts at the school run time and tapers off somewhere back of 7 pm) before taking the hire car out to deliver bags of compost to the allotment, and to pick up groceries and other supplies.

I will be doing a dump run tomorrow with some of the heavy metal (pun intended ;)) excavated on Plot2 and go trawling the superstores for the replacement for this aged 'pooter. Frankly,at it's age, if it was a human, it'd be revising for its GCSEs...... :rotfl:

I have also had an email from the council re The Item which is cluttering up Plot2, it's future is still under discussion, but at least I haven't been told that I'll have to sort it out myself. The issue seems to be which part of the council will deal with it, when and how. I shall await further communications with bated breath.

Akshully, I shall await them with a cup of tea, but that's less traditional.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • pandamonium
    pandamonium Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

Paused for 20 hours at the family homestead and Mum announced that on a future visit that she wants me to help her sort out the button stash into the ones she thinks she will use and the rest. This stash occupies multiple tins and tubs in a large plastic crate in the Bedroom Cupboard of Doom. She has also selected various household items to be added to the bootsale pile for this summer, and instructed that whatever we can get for them, is jointly for Kid Bruv and myself.

Ooh buttons, in a tin as well. Just love the sound and feel of a tin full of buttons :D. It's on the same pleasure level as gazing at an Ordnance Survey map. I probably need to get a life :o.

Nips back into lurkdom :D.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :o You and me both, then, because I love OS maps, and would ideally like to have the entire set (and enough space to keep them).

I even like road atlases, but admit to being a trifle peculiar in many respects.

I have been out to the supermarket and to the allotment and have offloaded 3 x 50 litre bags of compost into the allotment shed (thank gawd for the wheelbarrow) and have loaded several bits of carp. I hasten to add that the boot of the hire car is carefully protected by an old blanket. I will do a dump run tomorrow morning, once the traffic has thinned out a bit (as you may have gathered, we have bad traffic, which doesn't normally bother me as a cyclist because I go through it like a hot knife through butter, but several pals run car-based errands at odd hours - like midnight - to avoid the gridlock).

The hire place think they're getting it back by close of business tomorrow, mwah ha ha! It's mine, I tell you, my precious!!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Now we have our allotment shed I've kondod a lot of stuff from our garage to the allotment where it will serve far more purpose. There's still far more coming in than going out but it's mostly freecycled stuff useful at the allotment and silly to turn down.

A visit to my parents yesterday resulted in a black sack of books and clothing destined for a charity shop, it just that they hardly ever go into town so it would have been sitting there for months, I'll drop it off at a local to us one sometime this week. So it's just a temporary house guest, actually I've not let it in past the porch or DH would start having a rummage and I suspect books would be out on a shelf...for Justin.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure