PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am a grumpy old biddy today, it is pouring with rain again, so no more kondoing of those dratted weeds today. After the deluge on Friday they were almost jumping out of the soil to me yesterday and after 3 years of neglect through fatigue and stuff I have been mustering chunks of energy to reclaim my flower borders. I have been up since 5 am, horrid thunder and lightening storm accompanied by severe indigestion preventing further sleep.

When I was a child growing up in the 1950s in a very rural situation a wet Sunday was the nearest thing to purgatory for me and even now at approaching 70 I still hate them.

Off for a Nana nap and will see if I can get out of bed the right side next time:rotfl:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Currently encouraging dd2 to make an elaborate crafty piece, just to get rid of stuff from the overflowing drawers :D
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 May 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    Had a somewhat fraught discussion with DH about whether a long-owned item that has never been utilised is in fact going to prove useful or just be a dratted nuisance if installed as intended.
    I am almost certain that the present incumbant item is the best solution. In fact it would be a retrograde step to swap in the newer item.
    DH got very agitated and ended up saying, "But we paid good money for that."

I was trying to recall GQ's succinct repost!

I managed to point out that keeping the item when it does not perform a useful function would not bring the money back.
    DH countered with, "But what would we do with it if we didn't fit it?"
    Soooo, we are back to a common issue for many KM fans, I think, the most painless way to actually move Stuff on. I am working on it. I may invent a needy friend!

On a positive note I had a LBM regarding the multipurpose room. I have pondered long and hard but no inspiration for practical storage and correct location of desk but today, out of the blue, Bingo!
    If i release the small, useless cabinet I can reposition the desk to the other wall, slightly to one side of the window, leaving room to open cupboard door, and shall be able to fit in a low COD. Thus extra surface area for art n craft but also really useful storage for craft stuff currently in a crate on the floor. I think it would look very neat and very useable.
    I am now on the look out in CS and auctions for suitable COD (I had thought of COD but not the ideal location and size that has revealed itself today!).

Hope the weather has not been problematic for you all. Still dry here but very breezy.
    Am working tomorrow but expect to get a bit of time in the sun :D
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Currently black as your hat here, lights on, heavy rain, occasional flashes of lightning.

Having not done much on the kondoing front recently but 2 old pairs of trainers went in the recycling bin today when I went to buy a new pair. OH also needs a new pair but the wait we had to get served he was losing the will to live. He's identified a suitable pair and will find online.

Wow, a massive heron has just landed on our roof or next door. I'm not about to go outside and look!

Our shopping trip today was more successful than usual, I found several V neck T-shirts in John Lewis that go really well with skirts I already own. I struggle to find V-neck anything and round or boat don't suit me. We weren't looking for these but were just walking through the shop looking for something else (we didn't find), but I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity.

We had a tidy in the garage when we got home and OH has allowed me to release a pair of indoor football boots. I've been looking at these for years as to my knowledge he's never used them in 17 years.... I debated getting rid without telling him but have never done it, he now says they don't actually fit, being too small.... They will be going to the charity shop.

Hope this rain stops, I've got blankets we use to protect the back of the car in the wash.

We bought some water butt cleaner, hopefully that will kondo the mossies that fly out everytime we take the lid off.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just remembered, B&Q had reduced their seed potatoes to 10p a bag from £2 if you're into growing spuds.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Ahh, the old I paid good money for that!

Oh yes, have caught myself thinking or uttering that very phrase. We paid good money and, the minute we crossed the threshold on our way outta the shop - pfft! About 90% of the financial value evaporated and what's left is the utility value.

Which you can only realise by using the thing, or allow it to go into the keeping of someone who will use it.

:D Have spent 3.15 hrs on the allotments on a beautiful, cool evening after the sweltering day. Finally driven off at 8.45 pm by the gnats, rather than the light, which was still plentiful. A full (or as-good-as-full) moon was rising in a watercolour sky and it was all very picturesque.

I was lowering the tone by stomping around in my Docs, cutting down the hay meadow which seems to have snuck onto Plot2 while I wasn't looking. Waist-height, would you believe?! Have also prepped some more soil for the great runner bean transplant programme, where I live in terror that the growing tips will be nipped out before they latch onto the canes and climb safely out of reach.

:p I also found a slug. Luckily, I had my grass shears in my hand, so didn't have to go anywhere to fetch Cold Steel.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    `I paid good money for that`:) oh yes and how many times have I said that, especially when I started MK, it got better after the first pass, when I appreciated that it was simply handing on, from someone who could afford, probably to someone who could not afford

I`m off to the allotment in 40 minutes, not particularly wanting to be out in blazing sun, hence long sleeves and a large sun hat. I have shreddings to take up, to feed worms. This small, new, fellowes shredder is great, at the moment it sits on a kitchen top and is devouring any bit of paper that comes my way, plus the dreaded catalogues. Yes the big fellowes went and I did regret it but it was so big that it stood in the detached garage and was not used nearly as much. I don`t regret it now, well maybe that I spent good money on the big one :D but in no other way

All joints have calmed down and I am back to sleeping well, not thinking about moths and grateful to have so many empty spaces. T shirts are another item to deal with, I am not liking to wear the quality lands end polo shirts on a daily basis any more, they are too workman-like. I am going to keep the patterned ones, usually a slightly thicker fabric, for my carving and maintenance jobs. The others are going to leave and I am now wearing very nice hm tops in and out of the house, home spun hm silk blends and sewn linen blend tops and skirts and indie dresses. My future, re clothes, will be layers but it will take a few years to get there, in the meantime my wardrobe will thin out, naturally
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slinky - I have a number of water butts in my garden and I use a product called Armillatox in them to stop critters. You don't need a lot, it's biodegradable and can be used for other things in the garden too. Not cheap but lasts ages.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • whiteguineapig
    whiteguineapig Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you still get Armillatox Silva, I thought they had stopped it? (I hope you had a nice birthday)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used iodine to keep my butts clean at one time, only a few grains, it makes the water purple. I never bothered since and I use sacks of ceramic hoops, like I used in fish tanks, it keeps the water crystal clear. I have lids on all of them but still get the odd drowned beetle. I have big butts here for watering and cleaning gardening stuff, maybe 1000 litres and it is surprising how it goes down. I have been very grateful for the recent rains, they are just about full now. I am expecting a very hot blazing flaming june, last 3 weeks of june and will get through that water. Now is a good time to get the last plants out, finished mine this morning, cucumbers

I am concentrating on semolina at the moment, trying to use grains up and I have bread being made in my small bm, half semolina and half strong white. It makes a lovely light bread, brilliant for toast. I have ordered cream and jersey milk this week (organic) and am going to make ice cream in the maker that I will never kondo. 3 egg whites left and they will be used to bind low fat hm granola, I have spelt porridge to use up, perfect

Looking at the huge amount of rapidly expanding berries, I still have blackcurrants left from 2017 and I use them every single day, Got to add more than a handful to my morning drink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure