PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Well, this morning's boot sale was slightly marred by heavy rain at about 7 am, of course we had nothing to cover the stock with and no coats or umbrellas, it was predicted to be hot and sunny today! However it dried up and now it's really sunny. I had only managed to scrape together one box of stuff, as pretty much everything I have sparks joy these days. My friends did better, although a lot of stuff was heading straight to the CS afterwards.

Yesterday I got up in the loft and spotted two oil paintings. Painted by my former MIL, they haven't been displayed for at least 11 years. She was quite a good painter, and I adored her, but they weren't something I wanted to hang up any more, and I haven't seen her for around 25 years. I just haven't been able to face giving them away. To my delight, I sold them both for £5, I hope they are going to spark joy for the new owner! They are certainly more use there than in my loft.

Total gain, £11. 50 and I spent £6 on some plants - not really worth it, but it was really good fun, standing in the sun with friends and chatting, and it did my friend a good turn as her car is too small to use.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds very organised Kittie, I'm glad you found a solution to the moths that will help with the move too.

The advantages of having no carpets and no wooden items here means one less job to think about. I'll never ever go back to carpets after seeing how much stuff I clean off the hard floors daily.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I'm with you on the (lack of) carpets, Pooky, I love not having any. Just got the original Marley tiles over the concrete subfloor and some hand-hooked rugs. All the most trafficked areas are tiled and easy to clean.

I've never understood why some people have bathroom carpets and was very glad that I don't as the supply pipe to my WC cistern decided to spring a leak this morning and can now not be repaired until after the Bank Holiday weekend. I was able to wipe up the tiled floor and turn off the supply to the cistern by using a screwdriver on the screw on the pipe itself, a simple 90 degree turn turns the water off. Useful trick shown to me by a plumber.

I shall turn it on as required, if the water supply is on drops of water land in the bucket below at the rate of one a second. Whatever went wrong failed at some point between 6 and 7 am this morning. Blessed if I know what or why, but I shall quiz the plumber when he comes.

kittie, sounds like whatever moths are rash enough to find their way into your home are shortly going to die of starvation, well done.

Have been doing various things and spent some time in the juntique shops playing with the costume jewellery to some financial gain. I shall be going to the allotment in an hour or so, it's been ridiculously hot here and I don't fancy doing heavy work in the heat, don't feel good doing that.

Have a lovely evening, folks.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had so many garden and home clean-up plans today, but it was just toooo hot! I only managed to hang one load of laundry to dry.

DDs and I went shopping early this morning, before the heat kicked in, to buy sandals for both of them. DD1 was still going to school in leather boots! They have feet that fall outside 'normal' measurements, and shoe shopping is always more a case of 'does it fit', rather than 'do you like it'? We just start at the beginning of the row and work our way through every single pair until we find a pair that fits. This time, dd1 was lucky in the first store, dd2 in the second. AND they like them, which is a bonus.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do wonder if we are getting more moths because people are getting away from man made fibres and back to natural (moth food!) fibres instead?
    Must use my stash up!
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) Your DDs feet sound a bit like mine as a child, siebrie. I still have problems buying shoes which don't cripple me.

Have flaked out and decided not to go to the allotment tonight, I have all Sunday and Monday to play with, so no rush. I can only do so much physical labour and I didn't get in from the plots until after 9 pm last night.

Been discussing a slug infestation on his plot with a pal, we need to collaborate to bring the fight to them, I reckon. They must be hiding someone during the day, I shall go help him find them and kill them in their beds, mwah ha ha!

(Pal has lost all his crops and is facing a wipe-out of a season, in case this seems a bit extreme). I am a veteran of the Great War on Slugs 2013 when my kill tally was usually over 100 per visit. I stopped them in their tracks and in 2014 I saw exactly 6 slugs the whole year. And killed them. Cold steel (I am an organic gardener) is my preferred method.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Knit_Witch wrote: »
    I do wonder if we are getting more moths because people are getting away from man made fibres and back to natural (moth food!) fibres instead?

This was what was suggested on the BBC report I read about the National Trust survey. The demise of polyester and nylon clothing has been of benefit to the clothes moths.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Your DDs feet sound a bit like mine as a child, siebrie. I still have problems buying shoes which don't cripple me.
    Me too! In fact, I didn't have shoes from shops until I was about 8 years old - until then, I had to go to the foot clinic, my feet were so flat and the muscles so weak.

Have flaked out and decided not to go to the allotment tonight, I have all Sunday and Monday to play with, so no rush. I can only do so much physical labour and I didn't get in from the plots until after 9 pm last night.
    Blimey GQ, thats awfully late. I've done very little today, mostly because its a holiday day :D but I have managed to prepare fully for the next little bonfire, and do a bit of weeding - full bucketful of weeds, a lot of which were only a couple of weeks away from setting seed.

Been discussing a slug infestation on his plot with a pal, we need to collaborate to bring the fight to them, I reckon. They must be hiding someone during the day, I shall go help him find them and kill them in their beds, mwah ha ha!

(Pal has lost all his crops and is facing a wipe-out of a season, in case this seems a bit extreme). I am a veteran of the Great War on Slugs 2013 when my kill tally was usually over 100 per visit. I stopped them in their tracks and in 2014 I saw exactly 6 slugs the whole year. And killed them. Cold steel (I am an organic gardener) is my preferred method.[/QUOTE]
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Gosh, the difference MK makes. I have two visitors arriving later, both staying two nights - yes, I have had to put in a bit of overtime, dusting spare room which doesn't get used much and moving a few things like heated airer which lives in there. But - the beds were clear, not covered in bags of stuff 'to be sorted'; all the bedding was neatly packed in pillowcases in the airing cupboard, no hunting for matching items, and hoovering/dusting has been a doddle as things are mostly clear. It's such a transformation from how things were three years or so ago. Could still do better, but it really works.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :T Nice one, PWD. Well done.

Errmm, my flat looks like someone had taken a box, lifted the lid, chucked a random accumulation of domestic paraphenalia inside and shaken it before turfing it out. Stuff every which way.

Just had to get the airer out as a washload had finished including the bedsheet, which is on heavy rotation. I think I shall take it up to the lottie and hang it up there later (am hiding indoors from a heatwave atm) and let it finish drying there.

Many many other things need attention, I will fix a bit of lunch and attend to some of them.

:o I dream of airy white spaces with lots of clear areas (even empty, this flat is still poky). Or setting a match to the lot and running away.

Onwards!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills