Parked car hit and run - I'm at fault?

Options

Comments

• inglorius
    inglorius Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Your insurers were unable to recover their losses from a 3rd party for the damage sustained to your car therefore you have to declare the incident as an at fault claim.
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree that the system or reporting all incidents to your insurer is bonkers.

Do we have to report every stonechip or kerbing damage to alloys?

If the damage costs the price of a £3 chipstick to repair yourself should you report it.

If not £3 then £30? ?300. Where is the threshold?

My car was scraped in a car park & the other driver did a runner.

I also asked re the CCTV and was told it was only given to police - (I'm sure the police have far better things to be doing).

The repair cost me under £200 to sort. I wont be parking in that car park again & don`t believe I'm a greater risk than I was before (25+ year history of car insurance without any claims).

The system does appear to be unfair on those who find themselves in similar situations.
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    andyca wrote: »

My insurance company did not refuse to cover me, they just put up the price, so according to their letter I have to pay a £55 cancellation fee if I want to cancel the policy.
    Did you renew with your insurer?

Your OP says renewal has "just come up" - if your old policy hasn't expired yet then just let it lapse and go elsewhere.

There is no cancellation fee to pay if you do this (though there will be if you did renew and now want out)
  • andyca
    andyca Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 January 2018 at 6:47PM
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Did you renew with your insurer?

Your OP says renewal has "just come up" - if your old policy hasn't expired yet then just let it lapse and go elsewhere.

There is no cancellation fee to pay if you do this (though there will be if you did renew and now want out)

My renewal was £1200, so I did a price comparison and my same insurance company gave me a quote of £600, then sent me a letter (after the policy was in place) saying I had misrepresented the claims and put the price back up again.
    By adding my partner and altering some of the options and increasing the excess by £600 I have got that down to less than £900.
    Still at least £300 more than I think I should be paying in the given circumstances.
    I decided not to call the underwriters as I thought it would only make me more annoyed. My insurer has said the "Value of the claim was £1 and that's what I should put when getting quotes" - anyone know why they say £1?
    This seems odd to me but if I ask the underwriters the real cost I might be obligated to put that in to the quote sites which I'm sure will push up the cost further.
    Korkyb wrote: »
    I agree that the system or reporting all incidents to your insurer is bonkers.

Do we have to report every stonechip or kerbing damage to alloys?

If the damage costs the price of a £3 chipstick to repair yourself should you report it.

If not £3 then £30? ?300. Where is the threshold?

My car was scraped in a car park & the other driver did a runner.

I also asked re the CCTV and was told it was only given to police - (I'm sure the police have far better things to be doing).

The repair cost me under £200 to sort. I wont be parking in that car park again & don`t believe I'm a greater risk than I was before (25+ year history of car insurance without any claims).

The system does appear to be unfair on those who find themselves in similar situations.

Yes certainly I'm never putting another claim through like this, it's just not worth it. Any wheel repair, stone-chip on paintwork, or glass chip is also never going near the insurance company again.
  • Quentin
    edited 19 January 2018 at 2:11PM
    Options
    So the cancellation fee will be correct if you are actually cancelling the renewed policy

Your earlier post states the claim cost £1200??

So that £1 looks a typo
  • andyca
    edited 19 January 2018 at 4:13PM
    Options
    I had a windscreen repair on there from a couple of years ago and that was also on CUE as a £1 claim, I asked the insurance agent and he said that a lot of claims are down as £1 but he didn't know why.

I got an independent repair quote of £1200 while I was waiting for the insurance to sort it out, I don't know how much the insurance company actually paid the repair shop they used. other than it cost me my £275 excess. Maybe it was £276 :)

Also just to clarify letter came ~3 days after the insurance started so I was within 14 days cooling-off period but the policy had started. I was able to make the amendments and stay with my insurer (although I think it's a different underwriter) so the charge did not apply.
  • andyca
    Options
    After realizing it might have been a very small amount I would have had to pay back to the underwriters I decided to give them a call and see.
    I explained the CUE had it down as a "fault" claim and asked if this was correct?

To my surprise I was told it was not correct! Their system had the incident recorded as "Our file is closed, non-fault, (NCD disallowed)" and this is what appears on the CUE database for the incident. They are sending me a screenshot of the CUE and a letter to forward to my new insurer explaining it's a "non-fault" claim.

They did say however they are not able to amend the CUE. But my letter from the insurance company says: "if they [the underwriters that covered the claim] agree the information on CUE is wrong, obtain a written confirmation from them with the correct details and confirmation they have updated the CUE"

I never did ask how much the actual repair was, not much point if it was non-fault. :)
    I'll update when I have the screenshot and have sent the letter to my new insurer.
  • Quentin
    edited 19 January 2018 at 7:03PM
    Options
    If it's a no fault claim, then why did they disallow your NCD?? You don't lose any NCD after a no fault claim but it looks like you lost a NCD protection " life"

Something not right!!
  • andyca
    Options
    Yes all very strange - my NCD was protected in any case, so I've not lost that.
    We'll see what happens when the letter comes through.
  • Quentin
    Options
    You will be allowed s defined number of fault claim "lives" (see your policy wording)

That entry on cue seems to mean they registered this as one of your fault claims.

Get them to clarify what they mean by this entry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure