Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) - Page 86

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.9K replies 276.3K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Last night I cooked a couple of sausages and a piece of chilli chicken and saved the bangers for tonight as I wasn't that hungry, so ate them with left over new potatoes and even then I really wasn't that hungry `i think all this hot weather has made me lose my appetite :):)

A little rain tonight but still very warm and heating up again over the weekend
  • edited 21 July 2018 at 5:49AM
    Hopeless_CaseHopeless_Case Forumite
    948 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭
    edited 21 July 2018 at 5:49AM
    Big family brunch today - I've got sausages, bacon, eggs, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms and nice bread.

Then family will do their own thing in the day and OH and I will have leftover Thai curry from last night

Edit: Whoops wrong thread, meant for the 'what are you having for dinner' one:o:o
  • cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Hopeless Case
    We don’t eat much bread so separate a loaf into sandwich bags then just get one out at a time.
    Hope this helps
    Cuddles
    January NST 2/16
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Going to use up half a tin of sweetcorn left from He Knows last fishing expedition and half a big sweet potato to make some chowder soup for the next few days lunches. I've almost finished my fresh onions so I'm going to use up a big pack of dried ones I got last year instead, they're fine when they're soaked and rehydrated.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    How do you get on with the dried onions I have some in the cupboard but can't seem to get on with them unless I stick them in a slow cooked casserole ? How long do you steep them for (I lost the instructions along the way ) I think I have had them for awhile so maybe thats why they maybe aren't so good ?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I soak them with boiling water and then leave them at least 30 minutes Jackie, if I want to fry them before I start a dish I soak them overnight and the reconstitute really well.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thanks for that Mrs LW, I shall have to start using them up I think in my aim to use things up rather than storing them

I have just hacked lots of ice out of my freezer and discovered I have used at least half a drawerfull in the past few weeks but its jolly slow going and at this rate it will be Christmas before I can defrost properly My youngest DD has two freezers I think I might see if I can chuck some bits into hers for a couple of hours so I can do a thorough defrost. Didn't realise how much stuff was in there Trouble is because I am out for at least 2-3 nights a week I often don't use up what I have but I am definitely not buying anything else to go in there until its had a proper defrost.

JackieO xx
  • MMF007MMF007 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I also split a loaf and freeze in packs of 4 slices. Not only does it stop waste but it's very handy on the day you come back from hols!!

Today's effort to prevent waste is...... to use up a sachet of ginger tea I bought on hols last winter. The sachet contains creamer, sugar, tea flavour and ginger. I made one up ages ago and it was wierd. The remaining one has therefore loitered in the cupboard. Anyway, inspiration struck and I tipped the powder into a large cup, added some good cocoa powder, mixed in a drop of water to get a paste and then added the boiling water. Bingo! Hot ginger chocolate drink. It was delish :)

I wish I had more sachets now :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    MMF007 what a great idea I daresay a few of us have odd packets of things in the cupboards that we perhaps don't quite fancy and repurposing it this way is a great idea I cold quite fancy that myself. Wonderif it would work with other flavoured teas, peppermint perhaps.

No shopping at all to get this week and most of the week during the day I shall be at DDs house as the boys have broken up from school.Three weeks this Friday and we all decamp to the holiday house on the Isle of Wight for a fortnight :):):)

JackieO xx
  • Hopeless_CaseHopeless_Case Forumite
    948 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭
    cuddlymarm wrote: »
    Hi Hopeless Case
    We don’t eat much bread so separate a loaf into sandwich bags then just get one out at a time.
    Hope this helps
    Cuddles
    It does thanks, I think this is the way to go! :)