PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2018 at 8:41PM
    Options
    Untried ... but my fallback plan for cleaning anything as a start is to try wetwipes ... or anti-bacterial spray and a bit of kitchen towel. For many things these just work without resorting to trying things I don't have :)

It's so bl00dy annoying when you get fobbed off.... makes you feel like a right patsy.... they'd not like it done to them.

That might be worth a try - am guessing it couldnt make matters worse. With two of you recommending wet wipes - then I've stuck it on the shopping list to buy (yep...I've read the stuff okay about making sure I dispose of them in the bin, rather than down the loo - so I won't be contributing to any fatbergs in the drains.....). Sounds like they might be useful for other things as well...

As to things generally - I've sent off today for a book that's just come out in English (as I can't speak German to read the original..). It's called "The Good Girl's guide to being a d*ck. The art of saying what you want, asking for what you need and getting the life you deserve". I thought I might pick up a few useful tips:rotfl: Decided I really do need to have a few "tactics" up my sleeve - after a recent polite request to a man here to do something he ought to do anyway/would only take him a few minutes had him laugh at me for making it, rather than a more appropriate response. At that point I thought - "Last straw time....I've really got to get a handle on dealing with that sort of thing.....feels like I've just been dismissed by him as A Woman (rather than him responding to me as a person)". I'm coming across this old-fashioned attitude rather more often than I've been used to - so really must think this through as to best response....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 June 2018 at 5:30AM
    Options
    That might be worth a try - am guessing it couldnt make matters worse. With two of you recommending wet wipes - then I've stuck it on the shopping list to buy (yep...I've read the stuff okay about making sure I dispose of them in the bin, rather than down the loo - so I won't be contributing to any fatbergs in the drains.....). Sounds like they might be useful for other things as well.......

My love for them started about 30+ years ago when I discovered that they just lifted an indian curry sauce stain off a worktop effortlessly. Nothing before had just shifted those brown stains...

I've always got a pack or two somewhere. I keep one in the car because you never know when you need to wipe your hands - and then I give the dash/steering wheel/gearstick a quick wipe down so as to not "waste" it. Useful, too, to wipe seagull poo off the car ... and the mosslike green stuff that appears on the car during the winter when it's not used much.

Wiping down woodwork, uPVC windowsills, kitchen floor. I was even using them while painting for clearing up miniature splashes/spills.

They're good for when you have a small cleaning job and just want to wipe and go.

In summer I sometimes even use them for a quick "wipe round" my face/neck etc when it's superhot and I'm a bit sweaty.

Their uses are endless.

Also, when I do use one for anything, then I'll usually give something else a small/quick wipe down too. e.g. wipe down one flooring tile in the kitchen where I make my instant coffee and the floor's most likely to have bits of coffee dust.... might as well use one for "another little job" once the first job's done.

I've even used them to clean small walls where there's a hint of a splash or mark, or, using my finger, get into the crease in a skirting board....

Woodwork, plaster, paint, tiles, my face or the arm of the leather sofa .... wet wipes do everything here, if it's just a small area I'm doing and not "a full and total proper job".
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ooh, wipes on my shopping list, would never have known. I have already done work outside so am resting before tackling a room at home, craft stuff, again but when it comes to going then I will not have much last minute stuff to do

Salmon is out to bake in foil, dill and mustard sauce from a jar, using oven heat to heat sweet potato chips and salad stuff is already washed. Rhubarb and ice cream after. As it is early and I didn`t have much breakfast and have been active for 3 hours, I am about to make a hemp berry whizzed drink, I like it and love the omega 3s etc. I need more energy for this afternoon to get that room done
  • PasturesNew
    edited 6 June 2018 at 10:39AM
    Options
    I was out hedge clipping with little secateurs about 5am, not for long, just wanted to do the public footbath side of my hedge as that's on a road and I hate an audience, so prefer to do it at Daft O'Clock when nobody's about.

Then it was breakfast: A toasted crust of bread, scrambled eggs and beans.

Then off to the tip and then to buy some paint as the paint shop is 100 yards from the tip. Then into L1dl for a big basket of goodies :)

Stocked up with fizzy pop (six 2-litre bottles) as I'm down to my last 2-3 from the last purchase and, as it's the start of summer, I'd rather stock up than be forced out on a hot day ...

Sausage rolls, cheese, cheese topped rolls, salad cream, brown sauce, chocolate covered peanuts and a 1 litre carton of Cranberry juice (not had it before) .... then off to the freezer for a cheeky tub of ice cream. It works like that doesn't it, you can go without for years, but once you buy something you then buy more soon after. This time it's a pricier one, £1.99/500ml tub and is some American Cookie Chocolate flavour, so we'll have to see what I think of that once I start dipping into it.

Maybe could've also bought more eggs as I've only one left, but I didn't... thought about it in the shop, CBA as I knew I was going to have to be manhandling 12 litres of fizzy pop and that + eggs don't mix well if you're clumsy. Completely forgot about getting more frozen chips, but I've not run out, so it's not critical.

Later today I'll probably be heading for those cheese topped rolls ...and a couple of sausage rolls. I've already opened and had some of the chocolate covered peanuts.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,253 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Nice and sunny today, washing out drying in the breeze

Breakfast was normal for me of porridge, banana, honey & HM yoghurt

Made up another batch of yoghurt, now in it's heater for 6 hours. I've found if I then leave it overnight, with a tea cosy on top :), ready for fridge tomorrow morning

I've stayed in despite the weather, trying to get a stupid programme to work, given up in despair at the moment:(

I finished up with bangers & scrambled eggs for last night's dinner. And with complete lack of ideas it's looking like deja vu again tonight:D Bangers are out defrosting on the work top

Lunch is another groundhog moment, cheese & salad bagels

Ruts R Us:)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Ruts R Us

:)

Two hot sausage rolls just eaten here ....

It's a scorcher! Had ideas of painting, but it's too hot to bother.... especially as one thing is the front door, which is in direct and full sunlight. Other bit's inside, but I just don't fancy it.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    This ice cream's a spoon bender! I left it out on the worktop for 20 minutes or so to try to loosen it up, but I'm still having to scrap around to get 1/2 of a teaspoon out at a time ..... in the end I gave up and just served myself a small portion.

The last portion'll be fine as I can just leave it in the fridge or out on the worktop to defrost more..... but those early portions you can't do that with as you don't want to be refreezing it all the time.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another vote for Baby Wipes they are great for cleaning, must admit though I stopped using the on babies when I discovered they cleaned my ink stamps, card making, absolutely brilliantly.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I nodded off.... woke up and had a bit more ice cream.

:)

The first bit's nice as it's a new flavour - but after that, ice cream's not all that great a thing....
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,253 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    This ice cream's a spoon bender! .

Not a great user of ice cream, but I've seen the TV Gurus saying dip spoon / scoop in hot water first

Lunch was as foretold

Fancied something sweet & sticky so made a fruit loaf, now cooling before I dive in. It feels a bit "heavy", if it is then a splodge of tinned custard will solve that:o

In the meantime scoffed a banana, it was earmarked for a banana loaf but I've lost the recipe & CBA to look up another one

Bangers it is for dinner, eggs out, looking like bangers & eggs, could have a fresh tomato with them, to increase the today's fruit & veggie intake
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback