PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had a guy I know propose marriage to me when I was with him (and his girlfriend!) at a gig a few years ago. Awkward! I kept hearing him apologise to her the rest of the night.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I slept in really late today as we had a stressful vet visit yesterday. I think I was tired from holding struggling terriers in my arms.

I was so glad that I made that HM butternut squash soup for when I got in yesterday. It was delicious. I have some left for today.

I just made tofu scramble, grilled mushrooms and tomatoes with a gluten free roll and marg and ketchup for brunch. I had some fresh squeezed orange juice too. Mmm, you really can tell the difference with organic fruit and veg.:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl:lol re the proposals

Many, many moons ago I used to work weekend in a [STRIKE]complete dive[/STRIKE] rather rough pub. It wouldn't be closing time without at least one proposal, usually if they had teeth they weren't own:rotfl::rotfl:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wednesday hope your pooches are ok x
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a single female, you do get the weirdest of "offers" at inappropriate times that make you feel awkward.... like, in your own home from tradespeople etc.

One really old (30+ years older than me), fat, panting, grey-haired/bald duffer came round to fix my back door lock .... and as he was half way through doing the job he asked me to go to a Steam Engine Rally. Christ.... just get on with that soddin' lock job and sod off out ....

Or the time I got 2 loft extension sales people round to quote - and one included an offer of a date on his business card attached to their written quote. Needless to say he never got a call... funny little bald chap with strange glasses.

There really are some hopeless "triers".....

All completely inappropriate.... and a bit disconcerting/creepy when it's your home.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2018 at 3:30PM
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »

Money, thanks for the warning. My goodness, one has to be on 'red alert' at all times. So, what was wrong with all the guys who proposed? lol :).

. It would be nice if I could then follow this with a piece of PN's cake - but I think she may have eaten it all :)

If that's a serious query - thinks back:rotfl::

- a VERY different society to my own (whew - lucky escape time). Daylight started to dawn when he told me an incident about what had happened to a woman (European woman) and laughed about it. Shutters started falling quite rapidly off my eyes at him having a totally different response to the appropriate one (in Western eyes).

- ditto - very different society to my own. Nice guy this time - but nope...

- I realised he wasn't intelligent enough I guess and I saw how he'd treated his little old grandma (when she'd been kind to us and put us up - whilst I did the "rounds" of meeting his family). He wouldnt agree to us clubbing together to buy her a nice present for having done so - and was just taking it for granted that she would treat him as "blue-eyed boy".

- He wanted children and he loved me/but I didnt love him. He was/is a VERY nice guy/can't fault him as a person at all (faithful/caring/generous/kind/hard-working/etc/etc - except for a bit on the possessive side - wasnt keen on me having male friends). Lots of brownie points - including having my best friend as his mother (I'd have had no complaints whatsoever at having people like them for parents-in-law - ie pure gold). But I didn't love him/he very much wanted children (though his mother/my friend told me "He'd have given up the idea of having children if he had to choose between you or being a father"). I can't do that to anyone who feels as strongly about being a parent as I do about not being one. I know what "meant to be fathers" are like (I had one for a father). "Natural fathers" go absolutely gooey about any little child that hovers in their vicinity for two seconds...

Back to food - shame I can't lob that chocolate cake I've got sitting in my freezer in your direction through the ether. I was given it as a pressie for giving something away to a stranger - and I won't be eating it myself...I expect I'll find a use for it at some point...
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    BucksLady wrote: »
    Wednesday, fancy that guy behaving like that in the presence of his gf :eek:. Some men eh ......

I know, he really did think he was God's gift! God only knows why, lol.:rotfl:
    caronc wrote: »
    Wednesday hope your pooches are ok x

Thanks. It wasn't partcularly good news as one had high liver levels and they think he may have Cushing's disease, we have to take him back next week.:(
    One really old (30+ years older than me), fat, panting, grey-haired/bald duffer came round to fix my back door lock .... and as he was half way through doing the job he asked me to go to a Steam Engine Rally. Christ.... just get on with that soddin' lock job and sod off out ....

Eek!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I had a slice of cake for breakfast. It's nice and moist and lovely.....

:)

A lovely CFO breakfast, trumps cold pizza IMO

Last night's RM M & S pork dinner was OK, but the swines had smuggled garlic in somewhere, I could taste it all evening:( I have my doubts about buying more RMs from M & S now

Nil breakfast for me, had to get out early for Dr's appointment before volunteer time

However nil breakfast was remedied at volunteer centre, a lady brought in huge iced choccie cake, her hubby is diabetic so we scoffed it. Sort of late PN style breakfast? Marriage was not proposed :rotfl:

Lunch was cheese salady sarnie

Rain started, drizzle, shame I fancied a bit of pottering

I have taken frozen diced beef out for tomorrow, SC stew is planned. I have a delivery expected so it will be stay in day, delivery sometime between 0730 & 2100, plenty of scope in there.

I hope it is better than Money's one, this one is 4rgos, only small 2kg package. Silly thing is it was quicker, with free delivery, than me clicking N collecting. No doubt there is commercial logic in there somewhere

Dinner tonight is very likely posh W/r frozen fish fingers with frozen chips & peas

Must be spring, Gardeners' World is back tonight:T
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I had a guy I know propose marriage to me when I was with him (and his girlfriend!) at a gig a few years ago. Awkward! I kept hearing him apologise to her the rest of the night.

...and he was still in one piece?:eek::rotfl:

Gawd - some of us (if we'd thought it was halfway serious) would have picked up our belongings. Said one word to him, ie "Goodbye" and walked off.....

Ask me how I know......:rotfl:. It wasnt another woman in that case. He slapped me. Two minutes later he didn't know me any longer....:rotfl:

I'm sure BucksLady will just laugh at the anecdote...
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

Must be spring, Gardeners' World is back tonight:T

Thanks Farway. My husband loves that programme and would have missed it had you not said :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback