PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on this bad house bidding experience...

Options

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TT_fan89 wrote: »
    Again, the “experienced” “fat cats” and “keyboard warriors” of Money Saving Expert forum continue to berate and bully the less less experienced.

Remind me again what her/his partner and their age has to do with their house buying advice. Or to do with you? :T
    It was the OP who brought their age and their partner into the discussion. I had already offered (and been thanked by the OP for) my advice. Then the strange age discrepancy cropped up, which caused me to doubt the circumstances the OP described. Age doesn’t necessary have much to do with the advice, but if people want the the courtesy of free advice and the views of other posters, it is equally courteous not to be misleading and evasive when asked questions.

If questioning inconsistencies and discrepancies in a poster’s account is berating and bullying, you have a different dictionary than I have.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    grussell wrote: »
    Hello,

I am a first time buyer with my mortgage in principal and I am feeling very sad as I had an offer (or 4) declined and was wondering if I could get some advice on avoiding this situation in the future and feedback on the whole scenario in general. I don’t feel my experience with this particular EA was very professional. I will explain further:

House: 2 bed detached, been on market for at least 6 months, has already been reduced, no central heating, some minor refurbishment needed.

Date 1: viewed house with asking price of £167,000
    Date 2: submit offer of £155,000
    Date 3: offer declined within 24 hours (vendor requested £162,000 via EA in response)
    Date 4: submit offer verbally of £158,000
    Date 5: offer declined within 24 hours
    Date 6: submit offer of £161,000
    Date 7: offer declined within 48 hours
    Date 8: submit offer of £162,000 (finally matched the vendors initial request)
    Date 9: offer declined (after four days of chasing EA up).

Call me old fashioned but I didn’t get a single courtesy call from the EA to explain the offer taking a long time or offer was being thought over etc.

The Estate Agent is the agent of the seller - not the buyer, so he would not contact you until he had something - whether positive or negative - to tell you. It is in his (and the seller's) best interest to garner as much interest as possible in a property - you might have been one of four or five interested parties.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Definitely not going to defend my emotions after having four offers rejected. I am human, after all. I really felt like this was the “one”.

I’m not in the house buying career but I do think that to wait four days for a vendor to reply to an offer without as much as a courtesy phone call to explain the delay lacks some professional etiquette. Not only that but after matching the vendors request, my offer was further declined. Is anyone not the slightest bit shocked at this?

You have no idea as to whether are other people have viewings booked to see the property. In which case the vendor might be simplying waiting for the outcome.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TT_fan89 wrote: »
    Remind me again what her/his partner and their age has to do with their house buying advice.

It seems too much of a coincidence that he's got together with someone who has a similar style of writing and a past history of posting a rather unbelievable story (which also unravelled on further questioning).

Besides, who the heck shares their MSE account (particularly one which hadn't been used for three years) when it's free to register a new account (as you have no doubt just discovered, TT_fan89 - welcome to the forum! ;))
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Definitely not going to defend my emotions after having four offers rejected. I am human, after all. I really felt like this was the “one”.

I’m not in the house buying career but I do think that to wait four days for a vendor to reply to an offer without as much as a courtesy phone call to explain the delay lacks some professional etiquette. Not only that but after matching the vendors request, my offer was further declined. Is anyone not the slightest bit shocked at this?

Not in the slightest. You were told what they would accept but you kept messing around with offers under that price.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Original post quoted below so the thread makes more sense to future readers:
    Hello,

I am a first time buyer with my mortgage in principal and I am feeling very sad as I had an offer (or 4) declined and was wondering if I could get some advice on avoiding this situation in the future and feedback on the whole scenario in general. I don’t feel my experience with this particular EA was very professional. I will explain further:

House: 2 bed detached, been on market for at least 6 months, has already been reduced, no central heating, some minor refurbishment needed.

Date 1: viewed house with asking price of £167,000
    Date 2: submit offer of £155,000
    Date 3: offer declined within 24 hours (vendor requested £162,000 via EA in response)
    Date 4: submit offer verbally of £158,000
    Date 5: offer declined within 24 hours
    Date 6: submit offer of £161,000
    Date 7: offer declined within 48 hours
    Date 8: submit offer of £162,000 (finally matched the vendors initial request)
    Date 9: offer declined (after four days of chasing EA up).

Call me old fashioned but I didn’t get a single courtesy call from the EA to explain the offer taking a long time or offer was being thought over etc.
  • grussell
    grussell Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you davidmcn :)
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    And there we have it. After getting the advice needed, the OP has deleted all their posts, thereby reducing the usefulness of the thread to other people in similar situations. How selfish. I can see why they had difficulty dealing with the vendor and their EA.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    House offer accepted.

Yeah right.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    Options
    Any updates on this? Was the house offer accepted?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure