Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Ak92
    Ak92 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the info people most appreciated, you have all made it alot easier for me to understand . One last thing... I am depositing the £1000 required a month to get the 5% at the end of the mmonth, as that's when I get paid. Should I wait for the 1st of every month or continue with what I am doing? Thanks
  • DPS-2016
    DPS-2016 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 March 2018 at 6:33PM
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Just tried and it's working for me. Possibly a temporary glitch or a browser issue. Try another browser to start with.
    Thanks.

Just tried in Edge and Firefox as well as Chrome and all are giving the same error - very strange.

In case it was just one bad link I've tried clicking on the various First Direct links in the article but still nothing :(.

EDIT: Just worked it out - over enthusiastic Virus Scanner blocking it!! ;) Thanks for helping.
  • aym280
    aym280 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Open FlexDirect acoount for son, but was sent a different card. Put £2500 right at the beginning of the month and got no interest. Then realised I was sent the wrong card. So quickly updated to FlexDirect and got sent the right card. At the end of the month, got no interest and was told I was penalised for transferring £1000 from my own Nationwide account to sons' account. Then, I transferred the money from another bank and lo and behold about £3 interest. Phoned up and now this time was told son had an account closed in 2015. I feel aggrieved, being robbed to fund the CEO who earns £3m and fund the horrible adverts which make me channel surf! Very annoying.

If you want to open an account with Nationwide, beware of all their tricks. :mad::mad::mad:
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    aym280 wrote: »
    At the end of the month, got no interest and was told I was penalised for transferring £1000 from my own Nationwide account to sons' account.
    So you didn't read their published information about this then:
    Interest rates when you're in credit as long as you pay in £1,000 per calendar month (excluding transfers from any Nationwide account held by you or anyone else)
    I transferred the money from another bank and lo and behold about £3 interest. Phoned up and now this time was told son had an account closed in 2015.
    So you didn't read their published information about this then:
    If you have previously held a FlexDirect account you will not be entitled to the introductory rate or offer under a new agreement and therefore you will receive the standard 1% gross p.a/ AER (variable) interest rate.
    I feel aggrieved, being robbed to fund the CEO who earns £3m and fund the horrible adverts which make me channel surf! Very annoying.

If you want to open an account with Nationwide, beware of all their tricks. :mad::mad::mad:
    ....or just read their Ts & Cs and abide by them? #justsaying
  • radoslaff
    radoslaff Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Open FlexDirect acoount for son, but was sent a different card. Put £2500 right at the beginning of the month and got no interest. Then realised I was sent the wrong card. So quickly updated to FlexDirect and got sent the right card. At the end of the month, got no interest and was told I was penalised for transferring £1000 from my own Nationwide account to sons' account. Then, I transferred the money from another bank and lo and behold about £3 interest. Phoned up and now this time was told son had an account closed in 2015. I feel aggrieved, being robbed to fund the CEO who earns £3m and fund the horrible adverts which make me channel surf! Very annoying.

And the funny thing is that all these "tricks" are clearly stated in the T&Cs. You can't use another Nationwide account to meet the £1000 pay in and you were late opening the account obviously. if you had opened it in the beginning of January, it would have worked. Not anymore.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

As others have already said, no trickery on behalf of Nationwide was involved. Their T&Cs are freely available, easy to read, and you were asked to confirm that you had read the T&Cs. You should have learnt your lesson from this experience. Good luck with your next foray into bonus bagging.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Are there really no bank accounts that offer cashback via TopCashback?
    I don't want to switch, just open another account. Thought I'd at least be able to get a tenner...
  • orange-juice
    orange-juice Posts: 193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 April 2018 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Bank of Scotland is cutting the interest rate on their current account (w/Vantage).

"From the 1st July 2018, we are making some changes to this account.

We will be changing the interest you can earn on Vantage accounts. The current interest rate of 2% AER/1.98% gross variable, payable on balances between £1 and £5,000, will reduce to 1.5% AER/1.49% gross variable. To earn interest you will still need to pay two different Direct Debits each calendar month, pay at least £1,000 into your account each calendar month, and stay in credit (above £0) during the monthly billing period."
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Club Lloyds, too.
  • where_are_we
    where_are_we Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had already decided to empty our 6 BOS classic vantage accounts at the beginning of next month due to the the bottom of the range 2% interest rate and loss of Tesco DD`s necessitating finding 12 new DD`s. We will cancel our £1000 in/out standing orders after this months have gone through and keep £1 in each classic account because of the 2.5% monthly savers condition of having a BOS current account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback