Money Moral Dilemma: Should I return a lost £65 jumper and keep the cash?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    I saw an article recently on a guy who went to a cash machine, and the previous 'user' had left some cash in - the chap took the cash

Next thing the police are splashing this guys photo all over facebook as he has commited 'Theft' - I was pretty shocked, this could ruin a persons reputation, lose them their job etc, all started off because of some idiots stupidity of leaving cash in the cash machine.

And if you were pretty skint, kids to feed, the week before Xmas, who would look a gift horse in the mouth? The alleged 'theft' had happened two days before the police decided to post the photo, maybe the guy had not had time to do anything about it or maybe he kept it, its hardly crime of the century

I mean some people are just basically idiots, who uses a cash machine and wanders off without the bloody money - its like setting someone up

I left £200 and £300 in cash machines in the months after my husband died - my head was all over the place. Fortunately I got the money back both times because I wasn't followed at the cash machine by someone who shares your low moral values.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    I saw an article recently on a guy who went to a cash machine, and the previous 'user' had left some cash in - the chap took the cash

Next thing the police are splashing this guys photo all over facebook as he has commited 'Theft' - I was pretty shocked, this could ruin a persons reputation, lose them their job etc, all started off because of some idiots stupidity of leaving cash in the cash machine.

And if you were pretty skint, kids to feed, the week before Xmas, who would look a gift horse in the mouth? The alleged 'theft' had happened two days before the police decided to post the photo, maybe the guy had not had time to do anything about it or maybe he kept it, its hardly crime of the century

I mean some people are just basically idiots, who uses a cash machine and wanders off without the bloody money - its like setting someone up

My friends husband did this twice - he has Dementia. She had to take his cards off him in the end, as he was also drawing cash out on their credit card. You have no idea what trauma or illness someone could be suffering from that means they have a momentary lapse and forget money they have drawn out.

If you find money you hand it in, to the bank if open, or to the police, you don't keep it. Quite simple really.
  • MalF
    MalF Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Ianf wrote: »
    The best thing to do is take it to the police lost property office. If it is unclaimed after three months it becomes your property, so you can do what you wish with it then. A friend of mine is a taxi driver and a bag with a lot of cash was left in his taxi and he claimed it after three months. You can be accused of 'theft by finding' otherwise.

My local force now requests that anyone wishing to make a claim on item they've found (assuming the owner does not come forward) should log the find with the police and then keep hold of the item for 28 days, then dispose of it as they see fit. There are certain items excluded (anything identifiable, any official documents, anything which may contain personal data, such as computer hardware and phones) - these should still be handed in.

It actually makes a lot of sense, as police time and resources are being used up otherwise on the off chance that someone will come and collect at some point, and then contacting the finder after the 28 days expires etc. Speaking to the desk sergeant, I don't think many people actually hand things in anymore.
  • saving-mad
    Options
    Many local businesses advertise their lost property (LOL, or should I say found property) on facebook, it gives them great exposure and will be seen in a great light.
    This in turn will raise the profile of the business and gain more business and free advertising.
    Its not too late to post to facebook saying 'still unclaimed, describe the item and you can have it back'

Its not yours to return but can be used to your advantage.
    Owner of a cute cottage in the North York Moors :j
  • MissKaur
    Options
    Staffordshire Police website states:
    If I've found someone else's property can I keep it?

You may be able to keep hold of the item you have found on the understanding that if the owner comes forward, you must give it back. If the item is retained by the police and the owner is not identified within 28 days you are entitled to claim it back. There are certain items that members of the public are not allowed to retain and claim under any circumstances. These include mobile phones, identification documents, weapons and war medals. If you find cash, you will not be able to keep hold of it, but will be able to claim it after 28 days

Can I throw the found property away or sell it?
    You can dispose of an item (give to charity or sell it)

if you've made reasonable attempts to locate the owner. Please note: if the owner finds the item for sale and is made aware that you sold it, common law entitles them to the money you received from the sale. If you give the item to charity you should advise them that the item is not yours and that you found it.

I think waiting for the owner to retrace their steps and inquire about it is reasonable steps there's nothing else you could really do. It could belong to anyone. I'd therefore return it keep the cash and if they do ever turn up you could just give them the cash...im sure if they've gone this long without the jumper it's not a special jumper they so desperately need. There's no point hanging onto a jumper no one wants.
  • Middlestitch
    Options
    Why not? It seems perfectly, the obvious starting point, to me!

But there IS identifying information - plenty of it - all over the RECEIPT that we are told was in the bag, with the jumper!

Does nobody examine the receipts they get from stores? They are choc-a-bloc full of information: the store LOCATION (to the OP who said there might be many branches within reach: you could still identify which one it was sold from!), the TIME of the purchase, the DATE, the TILL NUMBER, the NAME of the person who served you. There's also usually coded information along the bottom of the receipt, recording all sorts of fun things, like whether you requested a gift receipt, stock details about the item, and probably plenty of other things I don't know about.

The amount of data that is collected about us when we buy things - whether or not we are aware of it - is absolutely phenomenal. And that's before you get to the really obvious things, like whether a loyalty card was used, or whether the sales assistant remembers a conversation, or knew the person who bought it.

If the person who found this had phoned the store - there and then - when they found it, there are extremely good odds that this purchase could have been reunited with its owner. I didn't say 'physically take it back to the store' - a phone call would have done it. You could even Whatsapp a picture of the receipt.

So I still say to the finder: what was the purpose of holding on to this item for 3 weeks, without doing anything other than saying defensively, 'well nobody's made any enquiries'?... you get the feeling that the person is just hoping that, if they do nothing to reunite purchase with owner, they will be able to claim it!

You're in a fantasy world. John Lewis is going to comb through CCTV footage, identify a cash purchaser from the grainy pictures and miraculously know who it is and where they live....get real!
  • figrat
    figrat Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Does the jumper fit? Do you like it?
  • Brecon_Beacons
    Options
    You're in a fantasy world. John Lewis is going to comb through CCTV footage, identify a cash purchaser from the grainy pictures and miraculously know who it is and where they live....get real!

What people say, when the need to be spiteful is more pressing than the need to be helpful, or accurate.

Don't you love people who don't have the attention span to read the thread, but just read the first few handful of comments and then shoot from the hip? And misquote? And misunderstand on purpose? And talk about something that isn't even mentioned in the comment they've quoted?

May I direct you towards the comment by Tabbytabitha, who talked about low moral values. Recognise anyone?

Love you too! xxx
  • Pmatt
    Pmatt Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The facts are simple, you found something belonging to someone else, it belongs to them. You may get away with keeping it but legally and morally that would be wrong.

Take it to the police and ask for an incident number. If they are unable to trace the owner within a reasonable period, usually three months. they should return it to you. You will still not have a legal right of ownership, if the true owner claims it then it still belongs to them, you are merely the keeper. You will not however face the criminal charge of steeling by finding for which you would face a criminal record.

If the police refuse to handle the matter then make a formal complaint, it is their duty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure