Online Banking: is onus on user to ensure OS or software is up to date ?

Options
Should an online bank account or maybe even a credit card account or any other online account be compromised, hacked and funds lost, stolen or fraudulent transactions incurred, could the online bank or organisation refuse to refund/reimburse due to the account holder
accessing their online account via a mobile phone, tablet, laptop or computer which did not have the most up to date software or operating system installed ?

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    what do the account t and c for online banking say.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes

Most banks state the onus is on the user to ensure their systems are secure and up to date
  • demonted
    demonted Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 January 2018 at 10:07PM
    Options
    Well, I've never read the T & C's of anything, well, such as bank account, credit cards, phone contract etc, and I don't think, although we all should, many of us do; I just briefly scan any such T & C's believing to an extent I can trust any such organisations, after all, my bank has all my money.

In regard to updating software and operating systems; although to an extent I'm tech savvy, I don't tend to update just for the sake of it, although now, especially due to the current Spectre and Meltdown security flaws and due to online banking and financial institutions looking at ways to shirk their responsibility and place the onus on a user to ensure all devices are updated, I guess I should, we all should, that is, ensure devices are updated regularly.

Or are such security alers and updates an industry conspiracy to scare users to update and/or replace perfectly functioning devices un-necessarily ?
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    demonted wrote: »
    Well, I've never read the T & C's of anything, well, such as bank account, credit cards, phone contract etc, and I don't think, although we all should, many of us do; I just briefly scan any such T & C's believing to an extent I can trust any such organisations, after all, my bank has all my money.

In regard to updating software and operating systems; although to an extent I'm tech savvy, I don't tend to update just for the sake of it, although now, especially due to the current Spectre and Meltdown security flaws and due to online banking and financial institutions looking at ways to shirk their responsibly and place the onus on a user to ensure all devices are updated, I guess I should, we all should, that is, ensure devices are updated regularly.

Or are such security alers and updates an industry conspiracy to scare users to update and/or replace perfectly functioning devices un-necessarily ?
    https://www.acmetinhats.com
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • demonted
    Options

What does this mean....
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    demonted wrote: »
    What does this mean....
    It’s where you can buy your tin hat(s).
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • demonted
    Options
    Everybody should update their operating systems regardless. It is not the job of the banks.

RBS Group really should update their operating system with the IT problems they get.

I never said it was the banks responsibility to update our operating system.

wearingjohnnies..... I bet you won't be so keen to defend the banks if your saving were stolen by hackers and your bank refused to reimburse because you had failed to install the latest OS or banking app on your device/s.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    Updating software does not mean that the newer version is more secure. It could easily be less secure if new bugs are introduced.

Having auto updates is all part of a move to a subscription model of software where you will need to pay a monthly fee to use any programs or apps rather than just buying it once and being able to use it for 10-20 years. This is already the case for some software like Adobe products.
  • demonted
    Options
    I've just read the online banking T&C's of my bank via their website and unless I've missed something, although I read the T&Cs twice, there appears to be no mention that requires a user of their online banking to ensure that banking apps, OS or software is of the latest version.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RBS Group really should update their operating system with the IT problems they get.

RBS never invested in their systems under Godwin's leadership. Probably why they ended up in the mess that they did. As there was no immediate visibility across the whole group.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure