Sunken's attempt to float...

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Sunkencosts
    Options
    So I've moved to First Direct Bank but I'm not really sure it's working for me.
    Firstly they are not quick to update spends, my old bank TSB would record everything in Pending as soon as it was spent but FD don't track until it's cleared, which makes more work for me.

Secondly I have been charged because I went into an informal overdraft but when I checked the account in the morning it didn't show, so it must have cleared part way through the day - and I got sent a text at 7pm telling me to have funds in by 11.30 pm. I don't get texts at home because of poor signal so didn't get this til the next day. The really annoying thing is I had money in other accounts which I could have moved across.

Nope, don't like this bank. Think I'll spend a bit of today choosing a new one (or seeing if TSB will have me back!!)
    Savings:
    Emergency 404.38/1000 Car 200/600 Christmas 250/800 Holiday 250/600
    Grading 30/90 presents 40
    Total debt Jan 2018 53,938
    April 2018 47,780.52
  • Bigskies
    Bigskies Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Halifax have a great app and everything comes off your available balance the second you use the card.
    Jan 2018 £68,274 May 1 2018 £59,537
    Percentage of total debt paid 12.79%
    2018 target £10k So far: £8737
    Monthly target £833 January £1129 Feb £1278 Mar £1176 Apr £5152
    POAYDBX18 #124 £8737/10,000
  • Sunkencosts
    Sunkencosts Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    So actually this month is turning out more spendy than I planned. My sister wanted me to buy some bedroom furniture off her, and last month I said no on the basis that we couldn't afford it but this month she dropped the price considerably and threw in some other stuff too - and it was things that we knew we were going to have to buy eventually (new beds for the kids) so we went with it.
    £80 for an expensive (originally) set of bunk beds, and a large play table.
    Then we swapped the kids rooms round and I have ordered a new hi sleeper bed for my son (110). Was also looking at ordering a desk and chair (again, things he will need eventually), but was lucky enough to be driving past a charity shop when someone was dropping them off and got desk and office chair for a total of £6.50. Bought him that and a new lamp for £4 and he is nearly set.
    Both rooms really do need to be decorated though...... Also the carpets have been eaten to shreds by silverfish I think (bleurghhh) but am not forking out for new carpets at the moment - mainly because we'd have to take all the furniture out of the rooms and we've only just put it all in there!

Anyway, this can mainly come from the repayment of the electricity bill so we won't be much out of pocket.

Another thing we've spent on is a card for the zoo. My husbands work offers a years membership for one adult for £25. So he's bought one, arranged for me to use his colleague's one when we go, and kids will be half price - so a total family zoo visit for £11. Thought this could be a useful thing to have as we're not going away this year and will need some cheap days out.

First visit this Sunday! :)

Now need to log on and try and balance the books for this month.
    Have a horrible cold at the moment and have had to cancel some work which won't help things.
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
  • Sunkencosts
    Options
    60 day trial ended and I have now bitten the bullet and paid 86 dollars (!) for YNAB years subscription. Kicking myself for not buying it outright when they used to sell it like that.

It seems a huge amount, but I have to say it has really been helping with my peace of mind. It's a pain having to enter everything manually (not connected to accounts) but it really helps us to stay accountable for our spending and I find having peace of mind is nice.

Our "stuff not budgeted for" category gets out of control a lot of the time - this month OH needed a new passport for example, but we still seem to be a bit afloat.

Next month might not be great as OH's increased pension contributions kick in. When the budget is as tight as ours a couple of hundred quid less really notices! Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    For now just plodding along. Easter holidays are at last over so routine starts again.

Exciting news though, OH has got us a night away with tasting menu and breakfast somewhere really posh I love - for free! Knows the manager. So that is definitely something to look forward to :)
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
  • Sunkencosts
    Options
    60 day trial ended and I have now bitten the bullet and paid 86 dollarshttp://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/speechless-smiley-040.gif (!) for YNAB years subscription. Kicking myself for not buying it outright when they used to sell it like that.

It seems a huge amount, but I have to say it has really been helping with my peace of mind. It's a pain having to enter everything manually (not connected to accounts) but it really helps us to stay accountable for our spending and I find having peace of mind is nice.

Our "stuff not budgeted for" category gets out of control a lot of the time - this month OH needed a new passport for example, but we still seem to be a bit afloat.

Next month might not be great as OH's increased pension contributions kick in. When the budget is as tight as ours a couple of hundred quid less really notices! Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/frown.gif
    For now just plodding along. Easter holidays are at last over so routine starts again.

Exciting news though, OH has got us a night away with tasting menu and breakfast somewhere really posh I love - for free! Knows the manager. So that is definitely something to look forward to :)http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
  • Sunkencosts
    Options
    Double post! Marvellous!
    Savings: