What happens to my email accts if i switch provider?

Options

Comments

• TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi digitallife,

Our current policy is that i[FONT=&quot]f you decide to leave us, your email account will stay active for 12 months. After this, you won't be able to manage your email using My Account anymore. If you have any questions, you can register and post on our Online Community on our website and the team will be able to help.

Thanks,
    Becky [/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Tberry
    Tberry Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Going slightly off your query (but I can't find anything on the forums for my own query), and it's about AOL Desktop. I was with AOL for about sixteen years, before TalkTalk took over about two years ago. I kept my AOL email addresses, as I was told at the time that I could carry on using them, and I use them for absolutely everything. Since early December I have been getting warnings and emails to say that AOL Desktop is being retired and when it happens (in the next couple of days)) it will only be able to be accessed through Internet Explorer, Chrome or Firefox, none of which is on my pc. I do have Edge, which is supposed to be more or less the same as Internet Explorer and I can, at the moment, sign on through them. However, I don't know how long I will be able to do this. I've replied to the emails that were sent, asking all this, but haven't got any reply or even acknowledgement, and I've tried phoning TalkTalk, but it is always automated and they don't seem to understand my question. Has anyone on here had similar warnings and emails, how have you gone about ensuring that you won't lose your AOL Desktop info., etc? I am hopelessly un-techy, so please have pity on me and tell me in laymans term! Cheers
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tberry wrote: »
    Going slightly off your query (but I can't find anything on the forums for my own query), and it's about AOL Desktop.

No idea what AOL Desktop is but it won't affect your email address. If you have MS Edge then you're on Windows 10 and IE 11 will be in the Windows accessories folder under the start button although Edge will be fine anyway.
  • Tberry
    Options
    Thank you Colin, what is 1`E 11, is that what I should search for?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tberry wrote: »
    what is 1`E 11,
    Internet Explorer 11:)
  • TalkTalk
    Options
    Hi Tberry,

Sorry you've had trouble getting through to us over the phone. Any queries regarding AOL Desktop, AOL themselves will be able to help with if you get in touch with them via their website.

Thanks,
    Becky
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Tberry
    Options
    Thanks Becky, I finally received a response to my emails, a garbled email message that meant nothing to me. Tonight I tried to log in to AOL Desktop, but it was closed to any further business, retired in fact. The only phone numbers I have are either out of service, are now TalkTalk numbers or are really expensive to call. I have managed to log in via Edge, but it is just an email account, all my other stuff like Favourites places, email address list seems to have vanished, So as TalkTalk took over the AOL business in UK, you should really be helping us now!
  • Tberry
    Options
    p.s. to Becky, I should add that I switched over to TalkTalk when you took over the uk AOL service, didn't have much choice as it meant that I could continue with my AOL email etc., and keep my email address, and as I said earlier, I am very untechy, I find it really difficult to get my head round new stuff. Thanks,
    T
  • TalkTalk
    Options
    Hi Tberry,

I do understand, any issues with your internet services we'd be able to look straight into, but anything regarding AOL's platform, they'd have to investigate themselves. If you do have any questions though, please don't hesitate to get in touch either over Twitter (@TalkTalk), live chat or on our Online Community on our website.

Thanks,
    Becky
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    With BT you pay £5 a month in total for whatever email addresses you keep with them.

That is expensive though. I've paid less for line rental, broad band and a free unused email address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure