IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Is This Really Evidence of Parking?

Options
Hi.

I've been scowering this forum for several days but can not find the answer to my question. I apologise in advance if this has already been covered.

I have received a Parking Charge Notice from Parking Eye which shows 2 pictures of my car passing one of their cameras. However, the car is clearly in motion so how can this possibly be proof of parking? All it proves is that my car passed their camera, and then 3 hours and 14 minutes later passed it again. No proof of where it was in the meantime. Or am I just so angry that I can't see the wood for the trees?

Many thanks in advance.

Graham

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    parking or on the land , same thing to PE

so unless there is another entry / exit not covered by cameras , where else could the car be?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And where were this camera(s) located, at the entry/exit of an enclosed car park by any chance?
  • Katman80
    Options
    Yes you're right it does just prove that your car passed their camera at two intervals. They place the cameras at the entrance / exit so the presumption is that the vehicle was within the car park for the rest of the time.

If you search for 'ANPR' (Active Number Plate RecognitioN) on the forum / web and 'ParkingEye' you'll find quite a bit of information. In the Newbies thread at the top of this forum there is some information about "double dip" ANPR.

I'm going through the same issue myself. The camera only shows the car entering and exiting the car park and not "parked". There has to be a grace period allowed for the driver. The BPA state a minimum of 10 minutes when leaving the car park so it should be assumed that the same applies to entering (if not longer as you have to carry out more actions such as finding a space and buying a ticket etc.) so if you purchased a ticket for 3 hours or it is a 3 hour free parking and you are over by 14 minutes then this is certainly something to argue. I would start by reading the newbie thread as that has a lot of good information as well as an example template to fire off to ParkignEye whilst you await cancellation of the PCN or a POPLA code for further appeal. I'm at this stage at the moment..
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    @OP

If you have inadvertently used your real name as your forum name and in your OP then you need to edit the post and ask MSE to change it to something truly anomymous

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use posts in your thread against you
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is not evidence of parking, but evidence of being on site.

The advice is the same no matter what the situation. Please read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES then send the relevant appeal template, in this case the BPA blue one.

Also complain to the landowner or retail manager.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,180 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    GDWalker wrote: »
    Hi.

I've been scowering this forum for several days but can not find the answer to my question. I apologise in advance if this has already been covered.

I have received a Parking Charge Notice from Parking Eye which shows 2 pictures of my car passing one of their cameras. However, the car is clearly in motion so how can this possibly be proof of parking? All it proves is that my car passed their camera, and then 3 hours and 14 minutes later passed it again. No proof of where it was in the meantime. Or am I just so angry that I can't see the wood for the trees?

Yes, that argument gets you nowhere. You are barking up the wrong tree.

Luckily you can win at POPLA (grace periods will feature). Search the forum for 'ParkingEye POPLA Grace periods'.

Also, you haven't actually looked at a more important thing - golden ticket or not? As the NEWBIES thread tells you in post #3 of that sticky thread, so please don't ask till you've read that bit.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,062 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Katman80 wrote: »

If you search for 'ANPR' (Active Number Plate RecognitioN)

Just being pedantic it's AUTOMATIC Number Plate Recognition.;)
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please help us by telling WHICH magazine about this unregulated scam, using the link from post 1 of this thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5765579
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Come on Fruitcake, you don't need to post this on EVERY thread.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    GDWalker wrote: »
    Hi.

Many thanks in advance.

Graham

If this went to court it would be decided whether you were parked or not on the balance of probabilities. In other words what is the most likely scenario.

Which do you think a court is likely to believe that you were parked or you spent 3 hours driving around a car park looking for a space?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure