New life. Here we go.....

Comments

• Well, not much to post really, I've not been tracking anything since we went to London, I was burying my head (again) and haven't looked at the bank account until yesterday. We spent more than I thought but we won't be having a holiday this year so I spose it's OK, we did have an awesome time with some great memories. Not sure about saving anything this month, our drains are blocked which will cost us £130 and the mini tractor/lawn mower is broke so we need someone to come and look at it. I'm just glad we have the money to afford those things and still get to live in this beautiful place.

Mekkin Mular - Spent £26 at this weeks bootsale and will list these items for £102. £56 made so far but I have lots of last weeks and the weeks before items to list and I've dropped a few of my prices to be average instead of high. I've gone halves on a light box £10each, which we received today so I'm basically on here to promise to (try to) list 8 items this evening, There! I wrote it! I best go and work (more)...
    "Why not now, OK so when and how," ElephantChunks.
    Electrics re-wire savings Oct 18 - March 2020 WE GOT ELECTRIC!
    Heating Loan Sept 0/£5000
    SPC14 #65
  • LeighofMar
    LeighofMar Posts: 672
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Your London trip sounds fantastic. So glad you had a good time. And you guys definitely sound like future antique shop owners. How nice would that be. We love to go to antique shops too but just to furnish our house to try to make it more cottagy, authentic period/vintage since that's our style.
    Mortgage start date Dec 2015 - $64,655.00
    Mortgage end date Dec 2045 - NOT!!!!
    Mortgage balance  - $4600.00
    Business Savings $43,310/100k
    Hope to be mortgage-free by end of 2023 
  • Look who's back! I came on here to delete my threads and start again (again) but I've been reading through and want to save it now for my own record of life. If anyone's reading you'll notice I flit in and out of the forum between being super motivated and completely deflated. I put too much pressure on myself and give up blogging because I don't feel frugal enough and I don't like to record failing. Well, I'm in a motivated mood and need to notice small failings also come along with huge successes! So here we go again ..... 
    SPC14 #65
  • Elephantchunks
    Elephantchunks Posts: 211
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 January 2021 at 7:49PM

This year's main successes
    I quit smoking a year ago, saved £1000
    We got our house rewired & re-plastered £6000 (£3000 of this still on card)
    New kitchen flat roof £1400
    £2000 Decor/DIY
    £3500 off loan
    £500 Car repair
    £1356 off card 

£1500 holiday (had to leave the house for 2x weeks when it was re-wired) 

+ We got through a tough year re. covid, furlough & missing family & friends.

SPC14 #65
  • Elephantchunks
    Forumite
    edited 5 January 2021 at 10:30AM
    Wuut! Mention the word furlough and boom, lock down again. Although I've been given the choice. Not much of a choice, it'll look bad if I choose not to work. Humfff. Positives, think positive...

Things I've done in the last few weeks to prepare for better money management...
    • Reflected on last year's successes and identified areas for improvement 
    • Purchased new (to me) phone to get apps and browse mse easily 
    • Got fab envelope app for budgeting and recording actual spends ( tried a few budgeting apps but real envelopes is how we have budgeted in the past so this works best for me)
    • Had conversation with DH, he wont record anything but will let me know daily spends so I can. 
    • Task app - Recorded Goals to achieve by end of March & work tasks
    • Joined Sealed Pot challenge 
    • Continued excel monthly spreadsheet as I always have. 
    • Getting used to routine weekly shop again
    • Got a Mr T clubcard & app because I cant get the discount on my coffee without one (not sure I agree with this!!!)
    Health
    • Was gifted weighing scales by mom and was shocked / had LBM 
    • We purchased exercise bike with Christmas money 
    • Recording food, calories & exercise on app
    Onwards, forwards, all the time.
    SPC14 #65
  • Elephantchunks
    Forumite
    edited 5 January 2021 at 11:05AM
    So, before I get furloughed, here are my/our goals to achieve by the end of March.
    If I'm on 80% pay I'll have to try a lot harder and pull some rabbits out of a hat but we'll do this!

Wealth
    £42,000 equity (from £41000)
    Celebrate 17 years together
    Decorate bedroom
    Finish paying off £12,000 loan
    Have a business plan (we have an idea!)
    Save £600 between us
    Me - Save £3000 which is 4.5 mth emergency pot for 1 person (theoretically my money because he chooses to work less and smoke but it's there to share if needs be). Already at £1772 2mth ep.

Health
    Lose 19lb to get to 10.5 stone
    Exercise for 30min 5x a week

Nibbling chunk by chunk
    SPC14 #65
  • Elephantchunks
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2021 at 7:31PM
    +++++++++++++++++ I'm not furloughed yay!
    +++++++Booked the rest of the week off as I haven't had time off since lockdown in June 
    -- Phoned my orders into work this morning (to maximise profit) for them to phone me 4hrs later and tell me they've spent the time tidying instead!
    - Woke up to a sealed pot that had been raided to pay back OH's work float as he had used it to clean the car
    - Kettle is broken, only bought it in June and spent £80 which is very extravagant. Hopefully get it replaced on warranty but its a saucepan job for now.

2x Positives so far, tbf not being furloughed is like +100 so there is that and holiday is +50 even though nothing gets done when I'm not there and it stresses me out more not being there.
    To add to the positives and to make me feel better  I've just  joined up to the 3-6mth emergency fund challenge.
    We've got a lot going on with a slooow reno but I'd like to save 10 months emergency pot for one. (ie one persons essential outgoings per month) by the end of the year.
    So we're currently at £1772/£6540 2.7mth/10mth but still working towards the smaller challenge first of 4.5mth by end of march. I think either of us (if we got made redundant) could find a job in less than 4.5mths so that's the first goal.
    SPC14 #65
  • Glad you had good news about furlough @Elephantchunks. Your emergency pot plans sound great too.
    New to all this!
    Mortgage balance 01/01/21 £181,400. Scheduled repayment date Aug 2036. 
    Target savings to overpay in 2021 £12,000
    Progress to date  £7105/£12,000 
  • Elephantchunks
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2021 at 2:30PM
    Thanks @SpendingPennies ! Welcome to the forums & best of luck with your 2021 savings goals!
    Just popped in quick to note that I am going to be working for myself by the time I'm 40. (35 now)
    I have my dream (but near minimum pay) job but my arthritis may halt that in future (hopefully not!)
    If I have a genius idea that I can do with the money I have at the time then I'll do it, if not, I just calculated that that emergency pot above could be worth £25,000 in 5 years time. Wowsas!
    Business plan I mentioned a few posts back is genius and would really work but we need to look after DH's dodgy back and my dodgy hands so it's a no go. Shame but NEXT!
    Also considering if it's worth doing an OU marketing course. A, Learning anything business really interests me and B. It would be less physical than my current job.
    I might add that I do have a past AAT qualification that I could fall back on but the thought of going back to 'accounts assistant' or credit control bores my soul.
    So I'm here for the long run now, no messing about, time waits for no woman!
    SPC14 #65
  • Today's moneymaking action -  I have submitted our actual meter readings, I'll wait until after the next bill but I believe we may be owed a good chunk of money back.

Now for the fun bit...
    Reading the forum does not count as a 'moneymaking action' but has given me an idea for a website. I may have to think outside the box to monetise it but one doesn't exist and there is only one poor looking book about it on Amazon, but it's my niche, my USP, there are people out there that would like the knowledge but whether they would pay for it or what they would pay for is another matter. The greatest lesson I have learnt today (from 'Millionaire challenge') is 'do what you have a passion for'. Which (if I must admit) my DH may have said like 4 or 5 days ago! I actually want to do this and make it work because I love the topic, I have loads of knowledge and loads of resources. I've had so many ideas in the past and cba because I have no passion for them and don't want to risk my money but hey I might just do this for fun and try to make money off it but if I don't make money I'll have had a hobby :) 
    I'm so excited I could squeeeee
    SPC14 #65
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport