PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    A brand new Eastex summer skirt with the labels still on it for £1 in the reduced section!
  • Magpie100
    Magpie100 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Back after another satisfying day in market town charity-shop land. I've come to the conclusion that some of the charity shops there must be receiving 'high end'-ish stock from other stores or central stock - there is just too much of it for it to all have been donated in this one town. The BHF store in particular only seems to have 'labels' and quite a lot of new stuff mixed in with the donated. It was very busy, which is good news for BHF and for shoppers and the town.

So, on to my finds.

A cream cardigan by a brand called Marc Cain. I thought this looked excellent quality, and their own website suggests they retail for a lot of ££. https://www.marc-cain.com/en/Sale/Shop-Sale/Cardigans/ The cardigan I got was £5.49 and will be great for work at this time of year.

Next is a Noisy May jacket, bomber jacket style in black and white made out of a mesh material. Online research suggests this brand is for a much younger demographic than me. This is why I love CS shopping, though - I can try out things and see if they work without spending too much. Anyway, jacket will be great for spring evenings and was £5.99.

A Lipsy top for £3.99. Perhaps I overpaid a bit for this. For holiday, sheer back and gold, white and black pattern on the front.

A black Fabletics top. I'd never buy Fabletics new. This has a sheer top half and then yoga-clothing style material bottom half. I ummed and ahhed (I am 43, not 23!) but actually it will be perfect for wearing over a bikini on the beach. £4.99.

A pair of shorts for holiday. These are a brand called Jaded. Online research shows again for a MUCH younger demographic! Those of a nervous disposition should beware - there are bikini line shots here on their website that will make you gasp. The shorts are VERY noisy in pattern and colour, but a stylish cut and £3.49. As ever, I don't want to spend much on holiday clothes as it gets covered in sand and sun cream.

A grey and white-striped stretchy long-line cardigan for work. It has tan suede elbow patches and no label (grrr!). Was £4.99, great quality and fits beautifully.

Finally, a pied a Terre jacket. Very pale green, dry clean only, scalloped-edged colour. Really beautiful and light. Could do with a clean but is well-cut and smart. £5.99.

Oh - and a bag! By a brand called Borzoi and Catkin, whom I can find no trace of at all online. It is 19702 carpet-bag style, but I think brand new. No signs of wear. In a fluffy carpet-style material, mustard yellow and white.

The ones that got away: I tried on a Barbour jacket from the 'designer' rail of Ecco. It was a size 10 so a little tight, very smart and warm. But £39.99 is a lot of ££ so I would want it to fit perfectly, and it didn't. I was also tempted by a very pale pink lace top from Oasis. It had its tags still on - RRP £28, selling for £4. Very pretty, but I knew it would be too big for me even though it was allegedly a 'medium'.

Happy Bank holiday hunting! M100
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 May 2019 at 9:43PM
    Options
    4 x Rayware pasta bowls. Yellow and Green inside with blue rim. 99p for 4.

zvy137.jpg

I could also have had 4 large or 3 small (with one chipped) matching plates if I'd wanted them.

Unfortunately the Stroke 99p shop is closing in the autumn. They aren't selling enough stuff at 99p to pay a manager and two part-time assistant managers.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Magpie100 wrote: »
    Next is a Noisy May jacket, bomber jacket style in black and white made out of a mesh material. Online research suggests this brand is for a much younger demographic than me. This is why I love CS shopping, though - I can try out things and see if they work without spending too much. Anyway, jacket will be great for spring evenings and was £5.99.

A pair of shorts for holiday. These are a brand called Jaded. Online research shows again for a MUCH younger demographic! Those of a nervous disposition should beware - there are bikini line shots here on their website that will make you gasp. The shorts are VERY noisy in pattern and colour, but a stylish cut and £3.49. As ever, I don't want to spend much on holiday clothes as it gets covered in sand and sun cream.
    Edgy! Love it! :T
    From a 60+ who still wears Doc Marts with short(ish) skirts. ;)

Had a look at the 'Jaded' website (I'm at home, feet up and bored :().
    Lordy! :eek:
    What a set of bodies!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 May 2019 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Somebody somewhere must have written a thesis on 'Intermittent Positive Reinforcement/Vegas Effect and charity shop shopping'
    Miro, if the lad doing the psych exam didn't already have an engineering apprenticeship lined up, I'd be suggesting it! All that fieldwork, and lugging...
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Had a look at the 'Jaded' website (I'm at home, feet up and bored :().
    Lordy! :eek:
    What a set of bodies!

Intrigued, I went and gawked - not recommended at work for those of a nervous disposition.

Had a severe flashback to a Turkish holiday where a similarly structured bottled blonde was getting a lot of attention, but in the souk "too skinny, could never give you sons, decorative though, perhaps 8 camels" Whereas I and school pal (both of us English Roses & both still with a certain amount of puppy fat) rated half a million camels (as a pair). Our fathers, in stereo, wanted to know why we had come home...

I think my mother would be muttering about shockingly low BMI & associated health risks but I think my Turkish admirers were spot on the money - I doubt any of those lasses will be mothers without putting on at least two stone apiece.

<Quietly edits web browser history so my sons have to read and hunt for themselves.>

Magpie have an Amazing holiday, dressed to the 9s and above, and all in clothing you can wash & drop back off in a cs if you feel so inclined!

If anyone has someone heavily & expensively into manga, I strongly commend Colne Samaritans bookstall in the market. As someone has emptied their bookcases and there are several shelves *solid*.
  • Magpie100
    Magpie100 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    @pollycat I hope the Jaded website entertained you for a bit - and I'm pleased to hear you are still rocking your DMs and short(ish) skirts! I was trying to find a pair of shorts on there similar in style to the ones I bought as an example, but perhaps mine are from last season and hemlines and bikini lines have become more shocking since then... the shorts I bought are perfectly fine for a tropical beach and do cover everything that needs covering...I promise.

@DforV - thank you for the holiday wishes! I need to do an audit of my clothes this weekend to make sure I have everything I need and perhaps sort out a few things to re-donate. I feel like I am on a learning curve with my new policy of trying to buy as much second hand as I can - but I am really enjoying it. I am sure I am making mistakes as I go, but I am with the poster above who said to view it as a 'lending library', where the charity is the ultimate winner. The thrill of the chase is what I love, and reporting back to you guys and researching what I have found afterwards makes it even more fun. I'm aware I am very lucky that I can indulge myself this way - there are plenty of people who rely on CS's because they have no choice. But I'm really interested to show people rather than lecture them on what can be reused, recycled and repurposed. I have a long way to go, but am enjoying the journey. M100
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yesterday I had an unexpected cs trip and got DH another pair of Hollister Jeans £5, a BNWT gorgeous pair of high waisted wide leg M&S Collection trousers for DD, they are super soft fabric which feels like lightweight wool, pale grey with a white pinstripe, £5, a Crew Clothing summer dress for me, navy blue with a faded gold floral design, short sleeves with a turnup, drop waist with a drawstring and the body is fully lined, £5, a pair of Epilogue wide leg cropped trousers, smart style for work, £3.

Lastly I found a gorgeous Next shirt, super soft drapey fabric, oversized, grey with a black and white thin stripe, collarless and with rollup sleeves, it was priced at £4.75 but had a small tear in the sleeve, I pointed it out at the till and she shouted upstairs at full volume and in the end I paid £2. When I roll up the sleeves you can't see the tear and I won't wear it with the sleeves down.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 May 2019 at 9:48AM
    Options
    I couldn’t possibly be a hoarder. I’ve Walked Away from a Greenwheat teapot £4, a Whisper teapot £5 & a Dauphine coffee pot at £8 & am feeling shocked but virtuous. It can’t last!

My turn to activate the green eyed monster!! May I ask where you spotted the Whisper teapot please? I[STRIKE] have[/STRIKE] had a full set of Whisper til I dropped the teapot :( Was it in Skipton where you saw it cos that is just about do-able for me and I would love to get back to 'full set' status again!

Also, if I may consult our Denby expert.....a few months ago I saw some Whisper cups and saucers in a chazza and thought it might be a good idea to buy them as 'spares' but when I looked closely at them the pattern looked totally different....the colours were much stronger and the stylised shapes were not quite the same but it was deffo Whisper. Also the grey/blue background colour was not quite the same. Could they have been fakes or does Denby vary like this??
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Options
    I am very excited to go on holiday to Whitby. I can easily Google the charity shops but is there a tip Re-Use shop I have not been able to find it. Anything I should not be missing out on chazzer wise of course?
    I have noticed Scarborough also, has lots of chazzers which is not too far away.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Towser wrote: »
    I am very excited to go on holiday to Whitby. I can easily Google the charity shops but is there a tip Re-Use shop I have not been able to find it. Anything I should not be missing out on chazzer wise of course?

http://www.coliseumcentre.org/network-shop/ for furniture-like stuff

Scroll down to Scarborough and District:

https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/sites/default/files/fileroot/Environment%20and%20waste/Waste%20and%20recycling/Reuse_directory_and_leaflet.pdf
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure