Forum Home» Over 50s Money Saving

My Over 50's Spending Diary - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

My Over 50's Spending Diary

edited 4 January 2018 at 11:02AM in Over 50s Money Saving
478 replies 85.2K views

Replies

• edited 15 January 2018 at 5:51PM
    chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 January 2018 at 5:51PM
    Inspired by sugar....

I’ve been looking on gr0upon deals for me and OH to try, either restaurants or activities. I’ve had s look at the restaurant you recommended, so we may try that one.
    2020 savings on purchases £6293.56
  • sugarbaby125sugarbaby125 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Chanie,

Yes, I did really enjoy the quartet. I never looked them up on the King's Place website, so I was assuming it was a classical quartet, but it was a Jazz quartet who were extremely talented. I was gripped right from the start even though I am not a huge fan of Jazz and do not know enough about this genre of music. So this show was also part of my ongoing musical education. :D
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This week's MSE Newsletter made mention of Feel Unique and their offer to try 5 beauty samples for only £3.95 so I took advantage of the offer. It was free P & P so I saved £3.95 (and I have also received an e-voucher for £3.95 against my next order of a full sized product) :T

I signed up to Vue Piccadilly online last week so that I could get a code for their Super Monday offer which would then let me buy an adult ticket for only £4.99. I went to see The Greatest Showman and had such a fantastic time. It is a real visual and musical treat. I would give this film 10/10. I could not recommend it enough. Even people who do not usually enjoy a musical should find something to enjoy. I saved £8.50 compared to the standard adult ticket price. :D

2 hopper bus journeys worth £1.50 (15th Jan) :)

Current total = £1,525.66
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last week's free school dinners for my son (Mon-Fri) £11.50

Quidco Cashback £3.22

Current total = £1,540.38
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great progress sugar, lots of steady savings going on.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 19 January 2018 at 11:39AM
    sugarbaby125sugarbaby125 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 January 2018 at 11:39AM
    chanie wrote: »
    Great progress sugar, lots of steady savings going on.

Thank you Chanie, as I am currently unemployed it is even more important that I make savings wherever I can.

Free Evening Standard newspaper 20p

Boots Bargains:

3 X Adult Bassets Multivitamins on 3 for 2 offer saved me £5.29 :)

3 X Equazin liquid fish oils 200ml on 3 for 2 offer saved me £11.99 and I also used a £1 off voucher :)

I had a free ticket to see Dom Pipkin at The Phoenix Artist Club last night which saved me £3 :)

4 hopper bus journeys (17th Jan) saved me £3

2 hopper bus journeys (18th Jan) saved me £1.50

Odeon Silver Screen ticket £3 which saved me £6.25 compared to the standard adult ticket price

Free cup of tea at the cinema worth £1.90

Free Metro newspaper 20p

3 X Big Mac and Medium Fries with vouchers from the Metro newspaper for £5.98 which saved me £6.57

My weekly online grocery shopping saved me £16.85 with special offer and price reductions :T

Poundland Bargains:

Rimmel eye pencil saved me £1.99

3 X L'Oreal eyeshadow quad saved me £13.98

2 X 125g tube of Rowntree pastilles half price saved me £1

Bourjois Nail Polish saved me £4.99

2 X Fairy Clean and Care Aloe & Cucumber washing up liquid saved me £2

6 X Haribo Supermix 140g sharing bags half price saved me £3

Current total = £1,623.19
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This week's free school dinners for my son (Mon-Fri) £11.50

Savers Bargains:

2 X 4 bars of Dove soap £3.38 saved me 64p compared to buying them in Poundland where I usually buy them

4 X Oral B Pulsar toothbrushes £11.98 which saved me £6.02 compared to buying them from Tesco which has them on offer for £4.50 each from £6 each

3 X boxes of Paracetamol 57p saved me 43p compared to buying them from Poundland where I normally buy them

2 X Colgate 100ml Gel toothpaste £1.50 which saved me 50p as I normally buy this toothpaste from Poundland

Current total = £1,642.28
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    £3.71 cheque from my Energy provider

£1.70 Quidco Cashback

Boots Online Order:

Sanctuary Ultimate Indulgence Gift Set half price £12.50 :)

Sanctuary Pamper Cracker half price £6.25 :)

Fearne for Mini Club Gold Party dress half price £9 :)

Twinings Tea Tray Gift Set half price £9.25 :)

Sanctuary Shower Delights Gift Set half price £4.25 :)

Mini Club All Dressed Up Lace Sleeved Top half price £5 :)

3 X Boots travel size Tea Tree and Witchazel Foaming Facial Wash on 3 for 2 offer £3.38 saved me £1.69 :)

Free P & P as I had spent more than £40 worth £3.50 :)

I also got 496 Boots Advantage Card points on this order worth £4.96 but I will count these when I use the points :)

Poundland Bargains:

4 X Tubes of Galaxy Minstrels half price saved me £2

4 X Maltesers & Friends Selection Packs half price saved me £2

2 X Festive Friends Jammy Shortbread half price saved me £1

I got a free ticket to see The Johann Strauss Gala today, which saved me £28 :D

Current total = £1732.13
  • edited 21 January 2018 at 4:34PM
    kangoorakangoora Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 21 January 2018 at 4:34PM
    I'm genuinely confused by these 'savings'. Some examples:

1. I got a £16.45 refund from Virgin Trains for the Family ticket I had bought and was no longer going to use for my trip from Brimingham ( the 1st £10 is kept for administrative purposes of a refund) - I read this as I spent £26.45 on a rail ticket I no longer needed and then only got £16.45 refunded so I've overspent by £10?
    2. I saved £1.70 in M & S buying 2 bags of easy peelers on 2 for £4 offer - or just go to your local greengrocer/market stall and pay 50% less than the M&S 'saving' price?
    3. My Buy It Now offer was accepted on eBay which saved me £5 on the price of a 14ct gold and Diamonique ring - or, you know, just don't buy the ring in the first place and save even more money?

I'm not trying to be confrontational but a lot of these savings just don't make sense to me, especially where branded products keep being mentioned?

Now, if they said I didn't buy a 4 pack of Heinz baked beans at a reduced price of £2 (70p off a pack o 4) and instead bought 4 'own brand' for 25p each (cost £1) I could understand the 'saving' (current tesco prices as of today).

I buy branded prducts for certain things (so I'm not trying to be superior about my thriftiness) but I will regularly buy own brand for many items and save money even over 'discounted' main brands e.g. Robinsons shredless marmalade £1.40, Tesco shredless marmalade 60p in last weeks shop - I bought the Tesco one and it tastes fine and saved me 80p on my shopping. Even if the Robinsons marmalade had been reduced by 50% I'd still have saved 10p :)
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    kangoorai think I understand your point, but in my opinion, being MSE means different things to all of us and we all have different priorities. Using the fruit as an example. Yes, a grocers may be cheaper, but there may be reasons why the M&S fruit is better for sugar baby - the nearest grocers could be a bus ride away or a 2 mile walk, the fruit may spoil quicker or they may not like the quality, meaning the fruit goes uneaten.