The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018

edited 2 January 2018 at 6:25PM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
426 replies 65.8K views

Replies

• tibawotibawo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So Saturday morning kitchen had an allotment on today... it was only their second summer and the plot was overflowing with produce. I am so glad you guys help me keep my feet firmly on the ground and be realistic as if you didn't I would be feeling a complete failure.

Was hoping to go up this weekend and clear some more but the weather is not playing ball!
    After years of debt and living on the breadline feeling nothing but negative about myself, I am finally feeling that 2019 might be the year I actually get positive about it!
  • Dizzy_DitzyDizzy_Ditzy Forumite, Ambassador
    17.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I hate this time of year - when I'm at work the weather is perfect for allotmenting and when I'm not at work, the weather is perfect for being at work lol

I'm still waiting for news from the council about swapping plots. The one I want specifically is right next to the chickens. The bloke who has it now hasn't done a thing to it for about two years so I'm desperately hoping that he's had his invoice and just decided to give up! No one is telling me anything though and it's frustrating. Every time I walk past it I'm making plans in my head for it :rotfl:

The only good thing about allotmenting for me at the mo is that my freeloading hens are laying again after a three month hiatus :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Loathsome weather this weekend with lots of icy wind and rain all day yesterday, followed by snow all day today. It has stopped now it is dark outside, on cue for a lovely week while I am in the office, no doubt.

We bought most of the seeds yesterday - just need to buy Wisley Magic Runners, Speedy Dwarf French Beans and seed potatoes. We will wait another week before starting seeds indoors.

Ooh yes, seed compost and planting plugs needed too.

Save £12k in 2022 - #14 aiming for £9,500 £9,498.24 (99.98%) at end of Jun (front loaded)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2022 target £1,483.77/£3,000 annual (not incl £500 contingency) - try to keep it really low for July
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • CAFCGirlCAFCGirl Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Wet, Wet, Wet!
    No my idea of fun.

I've been trying to placate myself with sowing seeds at home and yesterday did broad beans, thai basil, sweet basil, coriander and garlic chives.

My tomatoes and cauliflowers have germinated, and an aubergine and chilli have made an appearance. Still waiting on the leeks.
    This year I'm planning on keeping the tomatoes in the garden at home - for ease of watering really. Last year I think my infrequent watering is what led to them doing that weird splitting thing. I plan on getting a couple of those small tomato growhouses for on the deck (bright sun all day - when its sunny!). Hopefully that will improve my odds :)
    Language Learners Chat : Spanish
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2020 24/66
    Fashion on The Ration Coupon 2021 31/66
    Fashion on The Ration Coupons 2022 17/66 Excess from 2021 35 Coupons
  • nannygladysnannygladys Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi everyone, I'm getting really fed up with all the rain. Ive still not been down to the plot as the soil if really heavy and gets waterlogged so not ideal for digging this time of year. I'm still not planting seeds yet but I think I will start at the beginning of February with some of them inside. I cant wait to get started and keep changing my plans for the lottie!!! I must remember to get some new seed compost this week and bring it inside to warm it up a bit. Its nice to just have a wander around the gardening sections in the shops for ideas, I'm after a solar light for inside the shed this year but haven't seen any suitable ones yet as I want the solar panel to be fixed to the outside, Ive seen one on youtube but cant seem to find it in shops or online. Anyway Ill stop my waffling on
    Nannyg
    Grocery challenge 2022. £462.08/£936 yearly

Frugal challenge 2022
    Fashion on a ration 2022 coupons spent 5/60
    Canopy savings: £1600.00/£2000 in 2022
  • Warm enough but raining on and off today. Ratty was back so I emptied a couple of gallons of water into the compost bin and went off to find some 1mm steel sheet to armour plate the back of the bin where they get in (it's one of those beehive bins). I then thought better of it and resolved to gather up all the half bricks that are hanging around and brick up the back of the bin instead. Otherwise it's quiet around here...

...oh yes, still got some of last year's tomatoes left, the last ones are just ripening...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • sazzlebgood?sazzlebgood? Forumite
    91 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Went up to the allotment yesterday and harvested some winter lettuce and kale. Path ways were very slippy. Really missing been up there but its just too wet to do much really. FIL is constructing another cold frame and we're planning where to site our new shed and greenhouse that we are getting from a friend. Chilli's toms and leeks have all germinated. All my bulbs seem to have taken in the cut flower bed.
  • nannygladysnannygladys Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi everyone, still not been to the lottie, but I must make the effort tomorrow and make sure that the poly tunnel is still standing, well the structure will be standing but the cover may have moved. Anyway whilst I'm there (even if it rains!) I can grab another cabbage and some lettuce (latter from tunnel) and have a little dreamtime!!!!!
    Nannyg
    Grocery challenge 2022. £462.08/£936 yearly

Frugal challenge 2022
    Fashion on a ration 2022 coupons spent 5/60
    Canopy savings: £1600.00/£2000 in 2022
  • Finally got a nice bonfire day so got that going then set about pruning the gooseberries and cutting back the brambles. Then I set about bricking up the back of the compost bin so that if ratty wants to get in, he'll/she'll have to do it in public. I read something interesting recently that domesticated cats don't really like to tackle rats, whereas feral cats learn the knack from an early age. Our Eccles surprised us last summer with a dead rat - and she usually finds mice a little too feisty. She's ex feral...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • edited 27 January 2018 at 2:33PM
    Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 27 January 2018 at 2:33PM
    Off work today but guess what? the forecast is rain all weekend and I am coming down with a cold and sore throat. Experience (and lung issues) mean I need to take care of myself and not get too cold or wet. Maybe just indoor seed planting then...

Save £12k in 2022 - #14 aiming for £9,500 £9,498.24 (99.98%) at end of Jun (front loaded)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2022 target £1,483.77/£3,000 annual (not incl £500 contingency) - try to keep it really low for July
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides