Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Eeek to your nephew.
    Happy Friday :)
    I'm sure "Eeek" is an extreme bowdlerisation of what he said :rotfl: Happy Friday to you too, beanie :)
    greent wrote: »
    Ouch..... hopefully nothing too serious... x
    Three steel pins I'm afraid :( .

I've decided I'll love Next forever :rotfl: because of how easy they made the refund. Iceland and £land, however :undecided:shocked:_pale_ they were the only food shops available to me if i went to Next. And they had lots of stuff that was supposed to be edible - but mostly consisted of artificial chemicals and processed starch and sugar. There was one set of shelves in each, about four feet wide, that contained food, you know - tuna, beans, spaghetti hoops. Two out of three of which I don't/can't eat. Horrifying.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ouch! Three pins does not sound good! Poor nephew!!

I think you’ve summed up £land and Iceland very succinctly there Karma. :(
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Commiserations to nephew, KC. Probably hugs are not appropriate if he's still in pain;)

I had to go for some blood tests yesterday and in conversation the Practice Nurse told me she has shingles:eek:. My DH had it a couple of years ago and was so unbelievably ill and in pain. I didn't contract it then or since:j. Just wondering whether the Nurse should have been treating and touching people at the moment. She put gloves on before she took my blood but I've been frantically trying to remember if there was any physical contact prior to that. I expect I'm worrying about nothing though:o
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Youch to your nephew's situation, karma! That is an extreme reminder of why you use you age-appropriate stuff! Hope he mends quickly.

We tend to use icyland just for frozen stuff that we can't find elsewhere (ie aldee) and £land for dried fruit and nuts sometimes. Neither are our go-to place for food items!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't you have to have contact with the actual blisters to catch it?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Don't you have to have contact with the actual blisters to catch it?

Not sure. I should know though from the time I was looking after DH when he had it:o. Quick Google coming up;)

The nurse kept touching her neck (which is where the rash was) and that's why I wonder if she touched me prior to putting on the gloves.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Ouch! Three pins does not sound good! Poor nephew!!

I think you’ve summed up £land and Iceland very succinctly there Karma. :(
    Yep, I was a bit horrified :(
    Commiserations to nephew, KC. Probably hugs are not appropriate if he's still in pain;)

I had to go for some blood tests yesterday and in conversation the Practice Nurse told me she has shingles:eek:. My DH had it a couple of years ago and was so unbelievably ill and in pain. I didn't contract it then or since:j. Just wondering whether the Nurse should have been treating and touching people at the moment. She put gloves on before she took my blood but I've been frantically trying to remember if there was any physical contact prior to that. I expect I'm worrying about nothing though:o
    OMG! I would *not* be happy in your situation. I just looked up "is shingles a virus", and there was a link to a CDC page that said shingles isn't ... you know what, here's the linkie https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html
    It's detailed, but looks good for you, basically.

Youch to your nephew's situation, karma! That is an extreme reminder of why you use you age-appropriate stuff! Hope he mends quickly.
    Thanks apple!
    We tend to use icyland just for frozen stuff that we can't find elsewhere (ie aldee) and £land for dried fruit and nuts sometimes. Neither are our go-to place for food items!
    Same for me with icyland - frozen veg, occasionally a pasty :o £land, I don't really buy food there, its more likely to be stationery (my 50p diary :) ) or toothpaste with Greek/ Arabic lettering etc, even though it's our usual brands :)
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Egyptology :) in a far flung part of my county, yay :)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We use Icyland for frozen veggies, soft drinks, sometimes fresh veggies/ cheese/ tins - I go to a Freezer Wareh0use as opposed to Icyland itself - it's larger, out of town and has a larger selection than the Icyland (town centre) Oh - and fishfingers, because they are a staple food for DS2 in this house and usually cheaper in Icy than Tesc0/ Sainz. Oh - and bake-at-home Gr3ggs products..... beloved guilty pleasure in this house by most of the occupants!!! :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »

OMG! I would *not* be happy in your situation. I just looked up "is shingles a virus", and there was a link to a CDC page that said shingles isn't ... you know what, here's the linkie https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html
    It's detailed, but looks good for you, basically.

Thank you, KC:T. There's you taking the time and trouble to find me the info I need whilst all I've been doing is procrastinate and worry:o. Bless you:A
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback