IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help and guidance please

Options

Comments

• Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    '?? have used the car park in Keighley many times before and have ALWAYS paid the fare.!
    Is "??" Where you refer to who was driving?
  • Lamilad
    Options
    they'll allege one machine was working all along.
    If the PDT logs are anything like the ones we've seen recently I think they can be easily discredited.
  • Capt_Mainwaring
    Options
    Quick update - I've found an email from Ian Moore of Sports Direct on Peppipoo about Cavendish Retail Park in Keighley. His email is in response to someone who has complained to them.

I've sent an email to Ian Moore and I've copied in Sports Direct Customer Services team as well. I should have done this months ago. Better late than never, I suppose.
  • Capt_Mainwaring
    Options
    Yes, ?? is the driver.
  • Capt_Mainwaring
    Options
    Hi CM

As I said before, the appeal was sent before any internet research was done. Does this mean the driver is screwed?

If it does, then the 'fine' needs paying as soon as possible. No correspondence has been entered in to regarding the second PCN.
  • Lamilad
    Options
    If it does, then the 'fine' needs paying as soon as possible.!
    No it doesn't! Unless your happy to be the next scam victim.

It just means your can't use a PoFA defence, which is usually very effective against Excel. There are many other valid and robust defence points that can be used against them, it just depends whether or not you have the will to fight.

A well prepared defendant is almost always successful against Excel when supported by this forum. That said, litigation is always a gamble and you could lose.

Even if you do it is unlikely you'll pay much more than if you settled now. You could even pay less.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,034 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Does this mean the driver is screwed?

No.
    If it does, then the 'fine' needs paying as soon as possible.

No. How on earth do posters sometimes make that leap when 'pay it' is NEVER uttered here!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Capt_Mainwaring
    Options
    Lamilad wrote: »
    No it doesn't! Unless your happy to be the next scam victim.

It just means your can't use a PoFA defence, which is usually very effective against Excel. There are many other valid and robust defence points that can be used against them, it just depends whether or not you have the will to fight.

A well prepared defendant is almost always successful against Excel when supported by this forum. That said, litigation is always a gamble and you could lose.

Even if you do it is unlikely you'll pay much more than if you settled now. You could even pay less.

I have certainly have the will to fight on. I just want this to end and quickly...

What I'd like to know is:

1) If a PoFA defence can't be used against the first PCN what do you recommend I use?

2) The penultimate letter I received from BW Legal was a Letter of Claim (issued in Nov 2017). An information sheet that came with it (Annex 1) contains the following wording;

'This information sheet is a summary of your rights and responsibilities under the Pre-Action Protocol for debt claims'.

It then confirms a website address (Justice.gov.uk). As this letter was issued after 1st October, does the Daniel San letter still apply?

3) As no correspondence has been entered in to against the second PCN, I assume a PoFA defence can be used against that?
  • Capt_Mainwaring
    Options
    Hi CM.

Sorry about that. I just wish some internet research had been done, before appealing direct to Excel. Still, we can't turn the clock back, so any help or guidance on how to defend the first PCN would be more than welcome.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    1) If a PoFA defence can't be used against the first PCN what do you recommend I use?
    Other defence points such as deficient/unclear signage, landowner authority to pursue charges, including up to court level, whether the Beavis case helps you - check Lamilad’s dismembering of Excel’s 3 court cases against him (click on his user name, then ‘statistics’, then ‘show all threads by Lamilad’) for further areas of challenge.
    2) The penultimate letter I received from BW Legal was a Letter of Claim (issued in Nov 2017). An information sheet that came with it (Annex 1) contains the following wording;

'This information sheet is a summary of your rights and responsibilities under the Pre-Action Protocol for debt claims'.
    You respond by asking for every item you can find, which helps you via the PaP, to be forwarded to you in full, in writing, so as the defendant, you have a full understanding of the claim their client is making. List every item you require confirmation/further detail.
    3) As no correspondence has been entered in to against the second PCN, I assume a PoFA defence can be used against that?
    Deal with each charge as a separate entity - standard advice - so a PoFA defence is available to you, they must prove who the driver was if they fail PoFA requirements. They will quote Elliott v Loakes and CPS v AJH Film, but these are discredited cases in the context of private parking charges against an individual.

Looking further (probably too far at this point), ordinarily, once an individual’s multiple cases have got to the court stage we recommend asking the court to hear all cases at one session, to save the court and the individual being involved in multiple preparation and attendance. Given that you might be defending each of your cases potentially from two different angles, separate hearings might be better advised.

Please note - the preceding paragraph is just my opinion, not a learned one from someone with legal knowledge or qualification.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport