Staying under £100K to keep 15/30 hours free childcare

Options

Comments

• borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    fabforty wrote: »
    I thought it was free childcare, not housing benefit.
    The HB referred to the person in another post not the OP.
  • haras_nosirrah
    Options
    I suppose from the op's perspective it is kind of like earn 99k and get 30 free hours childcare, earn 100k and pay £1000 a month for childcare (possibly more depending on number of children) - while these kind of cliff hangers exist can anyone blame the op for using the legal tax advantages available?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Can you explain this assertion?

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-pensions/what-you-your-employer-and-the-government-pay

For example, it is recognised that pension contributions

may mean you’re entitled to tax credits or an increase in the amount of tax credits you get (although you may not get this until the next tax year)
    mean you’re entitled to an income-related benefit or an increase in the amount of benefit you get

Your link is to workplace pensions which doesn't seem to be relevant to the current discussions. Are you saying that someone living on means tested benefits could put a large inheritance straight into a pension without it being considered deprivation?

If that's really the case I'm sure many people would be interested in how they can do that.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose from the op's perspective it is kind of like earn 99k and get 30 free hours childcare, earn 100k and pay £1000 a month for childcare (possibly more depending on number of children) - while these kind of cliff hangers exist can anyone blame the op for using the legal tax advantages available?

That’s where this system is stupid.

You could have a couple both earning £99,000 each and receiving 30hrs free childcare and tax free childcare but another couple with one earning £101,000 and receiving no help.
  • Unimaginativeusername
    Options
    What an absolute cheek! You earn £100k a year, why should I pay for your childcare?
    Debt Collection Agent
    All views are my own.
  • haras_nosirrah
    Options
    Your link is to workplace pensions which doesn't seem to be relevant to the current discussions. Are you saying that someone living on means tested benefits could put a large inheritance straight into a pension without it being considered deprivation?

If that's really the case I'm sure many people would be interested in how they can do that.

I'm a non-earner or earn less than £3,600
    You can receive 20% tax relief even if you are a low or non-earner. Your pension contribution limit is £3,600 gross - a payment of £2,880 to which the taxman adds £720. This is the case even for people who don't pay tax, such as most children and non-earning spouses.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

So it's ok for a high earner to use "legal tax advantages" (loopholes), but not for someone dependent on means tested benefits to use legal methods of depriving themselves of capital?

(Or how about people play fair and, in either circumstance, pay their own way where they can?)
  • haras_nosirrah
    haras_nosirrah Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2018 at 3:26PM
    Options
    So it's ok for a high earner to use "legal tax advantages" (loopholes), but not for someone dependent on means tested benefits to use legal methods of depriving themselves of capital?

(Or how about people play fair and, in either circumstance, pay their own way where they can?)

legal methods to deprive themselves of capital are fine - replacing their old banger, 10 year old appliances, thread bear carpets, taking a non extravigant holiday, buying a house to live in - all perfectly legal ways of reducing their capital. Giving 100k to their children, buying a top of the range sports car, going on a month long holiday to the bahamas are not legal means of depriving themselves of capital

someone getting a 25k inheritance could very easily spend 9k to get below the 16k level by doing some of the things I have mentioned and in doing so can substantially improve their lives - all legal and above board. Just keep receipts and make sure it is considered legitimate spending.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    I’d be very interested to know if anyone has ever been considered depriving themselves of income for paying into a pension. I’ve never seen it.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    Rubbish! She was asking what she could do to stay within the rules but still get housing benefit. It's exactly the same as here. What can he do to stay within the rules but still get free child care. It's exactly the same. The OP earns enough and doesn't need free child care so why not tell him so?

You have no idea what his outgoings are to make that assertion. Even if he does reduce his taxable income in order to receive the free childcare he will still be paying a high level of tax and national insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure