connecting phone to tv

in Techie Stuff
16 replies 1.3K views
harrys_nanharrys_nan Forumite
1.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
Forumite
Can someone talk me through how to connect my iPhone 7 to my Samsung smart tv.
I'm not very smart because I cannot figure it out,:D
Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted

Replies

• Le_KirkLe_Kirk Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Don't know iPhones but on my Android, I downloaded the app for my specific television and followed the instructions on the TV on-screen menu.
  • There is an iPhone Lightning to HDMI adapter available from Apple, it needs a HDMI to HDMI cable as well. The Apple adapter is about £39, there are cheaper 3rd party units that appear to be similar. The HDMI cable is typically around £4 or £5. Apple Stores, Amazon and Maplin all sell the Apple adapter.

Not all iPhone video apps will work with an external adapter, Sky TV being one...

What are you trying to use that your Samsung TV hasn’t an app for? Ours has YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon TV, etc.
  • harrys_nanharrys_nan Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Hi,
    I wanted to connect through WIFI, not with a cable. I wanted to be able to view photos and videos on the tv screen.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • I'd buy a Chromecast for around £30 and install the Chromecast app. This will allow you to play media directly to the TV, as well as mirror the phone itself.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A Chromecast is the only way I know of doing it without a cable.
  • harrys_nanharrys_nan Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks guys

Harry born 23/09/2008

UPDATE,
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    An Amazon Fire or Roku stick will allow photos and videos to be cast from iPhone TV Cast app. Won't work with DRM content though.
  • dipsomaniacdipsomaniac Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    have you tried the allcast app?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • glentoran99glentoran99 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »
    An Amazon Fire or Roku stick will allow photos and videos to be cast from iPhone TV Cast app. Won't work with DRM content though.

how do you do it with the fire?
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    how do you do it with the fire?
    The method depends on whether it's online content or in your phone.

1. Install free 'Video & TV Cast' app on the Fire stick or Roku.
    2. Install free TV Cast on phone, open browser inside the TV Cast app, find an online video, click on extracted video link at bottom, it starts to stream on the Fire Stick.
    3. For content stored on the phone, for Roku it works directly from the free iPhone Roku app. For Fire stick, seems you have to install paid for stick app AirReceiver (cheaper) or Reflector, then Apple AirPlay should work.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals