Ex partner of 3 years took money out of my savings

Long story short. Split 3 years ago. Advised bank and got seperate accounts. 3 years on I transfer some money into my savings. Within 48 hours ex wipes it out as somehow that savings account was joint even though I specifically told santander it was a split 3 years ago.

So when I log into online banking I see

Savings with my last name in the reference
Main account
Credit card

Somehow ex could see savings too and has wiped it out.

Im not sure what to do but Im thinking

A - lodge a formal complaint with santander and escalate
B - get into financial ombudsman
C - contact the police
D - civil proceedings

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
--
Peter Stones

Comments

• How do you know that it's your ex, and not general banking fraud?
  • It says on the reference for the transfer transfer to

ExFirsrname ExLastname
    --
    Peter Stones
  • What proof do you have of telling the bank it's your account only now?

I'm thinking along the lines of:
    a. Providing proof to the bank
    followed by (if that doesnt work)
    b. There must be a Banking Ombudsman one can go to if banks dont do their job properly?

and...yes...I would contact the police if you can provide proof that it's a theft by her.
  • They will have recordings of the calls is about as proof as it gets.
    --
    Peter Stones
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Didn't Santander ever send you a letter confirming that it was now a single account? What forms did you fill in? They wouldn't have removed your ex just on your say so and certainly not on the back of a phone call, your ex would have had to sign something to say they agreed to be taken off and Santander may even have wanted to close down the joint account and opened a new one in just your name.

If none of the above happened the account was never converted to just your name.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • pstones578 wrote: »
    Long story short. Split 3 years ago. Advised bank and got seperate accounts. 3 years on I transfer some money into my savings. Within 48 hours ex wipes it out as somehow that savings account was joint even though I specifically told santander it was a split 3 years ago.

So when I log into online banking I see

Savings with my last name in the reference
    Main account
    Credit card

Somehow ex could see savings too and has wiped it out.

Im not sure what to do but Im thinking

A - lodge a formal complaint with santander and escalate
    B - get into financial ombudsman
    C - contact the police
    D - civil proceedings

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
    All logical approaches.

The biggest issue you're going to have is that you failed to check the account was in your sole name only.

C and D options are pointless if the account remained in joint names.
  • pstones578 wrote: »
    It says on the reference for the transfer transfer to

ExFirsrname ExLastname

No doubt there, then.

I suppose it depends on what you want the outcome to be. If you just want the money back, it looks as though it 'should' be fairly simple to get it back, as it's Santander's mistake, and you can back that up with substantial proof.

If you want to punish the ex (and if I'm honest, I'd want to, on a 'how bloody dare he' basis), I'd sound things out with Santander first, and see what they say, and perhaps speak to Action Fraud for further advice.
  • Is there any possibility that the account is actually yours alone, but your ex simply knows your details and password?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    pstones578 wrote: »
    They will have recordings of the calls is about as proof as it gets.

Did you check it was done?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JayJay100 wrote: »
    No doubt there, then.

I suppose it depends on what you want the outcome to be. If you just want the money back, it looks as though it 'should' be fairly simple to get it back, as it's Santander's mistake, and you can back that up with substantial proof.

If you want to punish the ex (and if I'm honest, I'd want to, on a 'how bloody dare he' basis), I'd sound things out with Santander first, and see what they say, and perhaps speak to Action Fraud for further advice.

OP only 'substantial proof' op may have is recordings of phone calls, they would never have taken the ex's name off with a mere phone call or two.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure