PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Surplus veg

Went a bit mad in my local supermarket on Thursday as they had ridiculous prices 5p for Savoy cabbage, 6p for celery etc.

We have :
1 cauliflower (earmarked for cheese and cauli soup)
Large bag carrots
2 bags parsnips
2 leeks
Bunch of celery
Bag of sprouts
1 savoy cabbage
Various onions though I am not officially allowed them cos of migraines (bought by friend)
Garlic
Bag spuds

There are two, sometimes three adults, mainly veggie living here at the moment.

Can make soups I suppose, but any more imaginative tried and tested recipes? I think I need to freeze some of it as we'll never eat it all, preferably as ready meals.

There's a fairly well-stocked spice cupboard with a lot of stiff from the Indian supermarket.

Comments

• Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Leeks can make a vegetable side dish, Leeks with Prunes. Yes, really, it is a French recipe and is gorgeous. Slice leeks thinly, rinse well in a sieve. Put a lump of butter in a saucepan, add leeks with the water clinging on them, stir then put lid on and leave to cook five minutes or so, shaking now and then (the pan, not you...). Take lid off, stir in chopped dried prunes, reheat a couple of minutes, season with salt and pepper and a final bit of butter. When it tastes good to you it is ready to serve.

Other veg - vegetable bolognaise, vegetable lasagne, vegetable curry, vegetable soup. Carrots and parsnips can be roasted in chunks when you have the oven on for something else, then reheated as a side dish or blitzed into a roasted root veg soup.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Leeks can make a vegetable side dish, Leeks with Prunes. Yes, really, it is a French recipe and is gorgeous. Slice leeks thinly, rinse well in a sieve. Put a lump of butter in a saucepan, add leeks with the water clinging on them, stir then put lid on and leave to cook five minutes or so, shaking now and then (the pan, not you...). Take lid off, stir in chopped dried prunes, reheat a couple of minutes, season with salt and pepper and a final bit of butter. When it tastes good to you it is ready to serve.

Other veg - vegetable bolognaise, vegetable lasagne, vegetable curry, vegetable soup. Carrots and parsnips can be roasted in chunks when you have the oven on for something else, then reheated as a side dish or blitzed into a roasted root veg soup.

Great ideas, thank you. Not 100% keen on prunes but maybe I need to be open minded!!!

Would a veggie lasagne freeze do you think?
  • Lots of things freeze well in cheese sauce - leeks etc. Carrots and parsnips would mash together - I then freeze in individual lumps before putting in a bag so that they can be used in portions. Potatoes can be mashed - or croquettes, duchesse, parboiled wedges etc
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • JennyP
    Lots of things freeze well in cheese sauce - leeks etc. Carrots and parsnips would mash together - I then freeze in individual lumps before putting in a bag so that they can be used in portions. Potatoes can be mashed - or croquettes, duchesse, parboiled wedges etc

Thank you. I love this forum - would never have thought of freezing stuff in cheese sauce. We have a glut of cheese too as mum bought loads for Christmas that didn't get eaten so we got given that!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    If you have freezer space ( I don't, every little corner is filled) prep and blanch then freeze on an open tray, then bag up for use later on in the year

The only thing I personally wouldn't freeze is celery because of the high water content However celery is nice braised , it's used that way in a lot of Chinese cookery. Google some recipes
  • veggie lasagne ,just use the veg instead of meat or a nice veggie curry both freeze well in portions,I cook them then portion up,use the old rectangular plastic boxes with lids that you get a take away in from the chinese or indian shop, or I think you can buy these boxes in a poundshop. I save these from my DDs as I don't eat takeaways. I make and freeze my own :):) once cooked,cooled and frozen they defrost well and bunged into the m'wave make a very quick instant meal in the evening when I get in late from looking after my DGC
  • Ribollita with the savoy cabbage, garlic, celery and carrots, You could miss the onions out and use a bit of finely chopped leek instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/apr/03/nigel-slater-classic-ribollita

Best made with LOTS of garlic.

Leek, celery and potato soup is a favourite in our house too.

Gnocchi with some of the spuds perhaps?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I freeze chopped celery. It's good for throwing a handful into soups, casseroles, sauces etc.

It's worth grating some of the cheese before you freeze it. We love some cheese topping on mash or cottage pie. It's so handy to just reach in the freezer for a handful.
  • JennyP wrote: »
    Went a bit mad in my local supermarket on Thursday as they had ridiculous prices 5p for Savoy cabbage, 6p for celery etc.

We have :
    1 cauliflower (earmarked for cheese and cauli soup)
    Large bag carrots
    2 bags parsnips
    2 leeks
    Bunch of celery
    Bag of sprouts
    1 savoy cabbage
    Various onions though I am not officially allowed them cos of migraines (bought by friend)
    Garlic
    Bag spuds

There are two, sometimes three adults, mainly veggie living here at the moment.

Can make soups I suppose, but any more imaginative tried and tested recipes? I think I need to freeze some of it as we'll never eat it all, preferably as ready meals.

There's a fairly well-stocked spice cupboard with a lot of stiff from the Indian supermarket.

My rabbits would love most of that, but only if it was fresh and crisp eather than droopy left overs from before Christmas.

Not sure about the garlick though. I suggest you listen to Peter Kay for best advice about what to do with that one.;)

:xmastree::xmastree::xmastree:
  • JennyP
    Just came back to say thank you for all the suggestions.

No veg went to waste.

JackieO, a massive veggie lasagne made 3 meals for bus and the friend who's kindly letting us stay at his whilst we wait for our house to complete.

Nargleblast, I am not a fan of prunes but love your prune dish and we've actually started buying leeks specially to make it.

Got a massive carrot and turmeric soup in the freezer too as am trying to have more turmeric because of the health benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure