Plusnet broadband swizz - advice welcomed

Options
13»

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have the entirely opposite experience of Plusnet. I have FTTC and live in rural Lincolnshire, at the end of a copper line and about 1 Km from the "Superfast" cabinet. I left Sky for more than one reason and went back to Plusnet because I remembered their excellent customer service and English accents on the phone. Plusnet checked and tested my line and promised me a Guaranteed Minimum Linespeed of 13.1 Mbps. When they could not achieve anymore than 10 Mbps, they carried out lengthy tests, all available on the Member Centre of their website. Then they ordered 2x Openreach engineer visits. When this could not fix the problem, Plusnet offered me a choice: -

*Cancel my 18 month contract (1 month in) Without Penalty.
    *Carry on with the contract and receive a very good reduction in monthly payments.

After considering the facts that no other ISP would be able to give me more than 10 Mbps, and that I would perhaps be saddled with worse customer service, I took the offer and was pleasantly surprised to find that my download speed had increased to its current stable 11.3 Mbps. Plusnet kept me informed of all the steps they took to try to meet the MGL they promised, all through the process. I think they were very fair in their dealings with me and I have no intention of leaving them.

I think that there are two posters here who have indulged in Rants, when they should have thought about trying to approach Plusnet with a level head and compromise in mind.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Pescur wrote: »
    However, this is NOT about the terrible UK infrastucture, this is about Plusnet providing a crap service and being prepared to do a deal to give a customer a better service albeit half of what one can reasonably expect.

Did Craig Murray run over your puppy? You really need to move on.

BTW you do realise that the OP has never mentioned whether Plusnet offered a decent deal or not on fibre (in my experience they're always very helpful).

And what also seems to keep escaping your notice (no doubt due to your frothing at the mouth) is that Plusnet are probably supplying the best service they can over ADSL considering where the OP lives, do you really believe anyone else will give a better speed?
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 January 2018 at 8:08PM
    Options
    Did Craig Murray run over your puppy? You really need to move on.

BTW you do realise that the OP has never mentioned whether Plusnet offered a decent deal or not on fibre (in my experience they're always very helpful).

And what also seems to keep escaping your notice (no doubt due to your frothing at the mouth) is that Plusnet are probably supplying the best service they can over ADSL considering where the OP lives, do you really believe anyone else will give a better speed?

TBH , it's difficult to know exactly what Pescur's issue is, as they don't accept that line length is relevant ( and presumably believes regardless of if you are 100 metres from the exchange or 6500 metres from the exchange , you should get the same speed from ADSL2+ ) and if you don't get what he or she deems as a 'not crap' speed , or if an improvement can be obtained by being moved from ADSL to VDSL (FTTC) then that upgrade should be offered for no extra cost as a gesture of good will.
    It's difficult to have a reasoned discussion with someone who won't accept basic facts
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Consider that Plusnet say on the their ads "we'll do you proud" or mention”UK call centres” but then make you wait 35 minutes on an 0845 number, ...
    Regulations introduced by BIS on 13 June 2014 have banned the use of premium rate 084, 087 or 09 numbers for after-sales customer service lines. The regulations also require such illegal call charges to be refunded.
    To be honest I will not deal with a company that still uses 0845, it is effectively a premium rate number compared to 0345. Just another example of the "don't give a crap" attitude of Plusnet.
    All 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers are premium rate. The premium is the additional Service Charge. If Plusnet fails to refund the call charges you can complain to the Citizen's Advice national Consumer Helpline on 0345 404 0506.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 11:27AM
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    Regulations introduced by BIS on 13 June 2014 have banned the use of premium rate 084, 087 or 09 numbers for after-sales customer service lines. The regulations also require such illegal call charges to be refunded.

All 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers are premium rate. The premium is the additional Service Charge. If Plusnet fails to refund the call charges you can complain to the Citizen's Advice national Consumer Helpline on 0345 404 0506.

Plusnets helpline number for broadband is an 0800 number (0800 432 0200). Or at least it is now.

@Pescur I suspect is just making it up as he goes.

Edit: I just had a quick Google (ooh err matron) and Plusnet introduced their 0800 number in Aug 2011 to replace the 0845 one. Talk subscribers at the time could call the 0845 one for free previously (lo-call number for all others). They also added a 0345 number in Oct 2011 for mobile users as not all suppliers counted them as free at the time, this gave people another option if their landline was out or they were out of the house entirely.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/Plusnet-launches-freephone-support-number/ba-p/1319460

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/Plusnet-launches-0345-support-number/ba-p/1319607
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    I think the OP should be taking this scandal up with the estate agent who sold them this house. They have far more control over broadband speeds than ISPs do and should be roundly castigated for offering this substandard property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure