NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived

Options

Comments

• laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 778 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Janus- 1yr from now my eldest will be in free childcare, I want to have saved another 6k towards house savings & still be debt free. If I get to September with no debt, no emergency fund but my house savings still ticking over I will be proud of us. 5 yrs, I want to have bought a house.

Activity- I need to take up exercising daily & resurect going YS shopping.

Non negotiable- NSD will aim for 18, will do meal plan today & will stick to my budgets;

Savings-
    Christmas 18 - 100
    Lapland UK 500
    Paris 1800
    Emergency fund 1000

Monthly-
    Fuel 130
    C parcs 140 ( activities booked & paid for)
    Grocery 130

Unbashed - will be checking in here daily to keep me on track

Always plan meals/lunches- budget doesn't allow for take aways and dinners on the go so we will defo stick to this :)

Reduce, reuse, repair- In order to stick in budget we need to do this. I will be looking to maxamise use of kids toys, aiming to read a new book to my LOs every night & recording it here as we have so many and usually read same ones. Using toiletries up to still have a bit of luxury, doing "quick teas" 2x per week, and aiming to use an existing membership card 2x per month to keep the kids in days out.

You- need to do this better this year :)

Stretch- already put my name down for OT next week and hub & I have agreed to do anything extra we can to make this year work & get to our goals:)

Good luck turtles xxxx
    .happy new year for tomorrow:D
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 778 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ps- for any in doubt that getting out if debt is achievable, my son turns 3 this year and I only started tackling my debts when I was pregnant, I was up to my eyeballs, at its worsed ee struggled to buy food & heating. I used to cry myself to sleep about it. The idea that we would get out of it seemed impossible" but we did :)
  • Chloris
    Chloris Posts: 712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kerry Woman, glad to see another self carer. I hope we can share some ideas. I was lurking last month and didnt get the opportunity to express my condolences for you loss. Take care of yourself. Xx
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    Chloris - Thank you. I did buy a buddy box from a mental health support organisation. It did include a self care project book amongst other things. I gave that one to my sister and children as they were going through a tough time with their own mental health issues when I visited them during Christmas. I have ordered myself another copy which hopefully come the first week of January. Hope you also take good care of yourself also.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Where do you want to be in 12 months from now?

Want to have saved £3000. Given that we are on a fixed retirement income it’s a big ask but I can but try.
    Need (yes really need) to loose three stone.
    Be free of clutter - physically and emotionally. Life is too short.

Non-negotiables. 18 NSDs – Even though we’re on holiday just about everything is coming from holiday account so why not?
    Donation of food and/or toiletries to homeless mission. Want to donate something every week. Collection point is local church on Thursdays. Could do enough to cover the weeks in January that we are away
    Pay money to your debts FIRST – Everything set up by direct debit for January and February so nothing is missed.
    ]Meal plan – First two weeks sorted – minimal amount of things needed mostly just milk and a few vegetables. No point in not having nice meals when we are away but be mindful of just how much we can eat. Honestly three course meals are a waste. Breakfast is included in most hotels. . Planning to have picnics (using all those lovely continental supermarkets) on trains on travelling days to avoid the expensive buffet cars.

New Hobbies (?). Must get in to proper long waks again. Read some of the many books we have and download some free Kindles for when we’re away. Listen to the radio instead of watching rubbish on TV.

You!are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally. Got a few things in this category that I want to do. First goal – loose 7lbs in January (oh no – the Austrian cakes. All that walking should compensate, shouldn’t it?). Need to be more mindful of my health.
    My motto for 2018 . Don't put it off. Do it now!
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Can I join in please? I've never signed up for a challenge before but am mindful that I've been coasting recently. One of my aims is to avoid the big supermarket shop throughout jan and instead use a local food hall where I get £5 off a £25 spend.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st10lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Eager_Elephant - is it your dd's birthday tomorrow? Happy birthday to her and some cake:bdaycake: too (if I'm right!)
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Lauralozzle
    Options
    Getting ready for a good start to the New Year.

Looking forward - where do I want to be in 12 months from now? 5 years? 10 years?
    12 months - I would like clear our Credit Card Debt.
    5 years - I would like our home improvements to be finished in 5 years
    10 years - Dream big - I would like to be in our dream home (otherwise known as a property not attached to any other properties!). We will see if this ever happens!

Activity - to hit 10,000 steps a day. To start hiking again.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) :eek: I will try my best. Although in the words of Yoda, there is no try. So I will do.
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    - £275 grocery budget
    - £50 petrol
    - £10 personal spending money a week
    - £100 - allocated for my 30th birthday. Hoping I don’t spend all of this but it’s a surprise and I gave no idea what’s planned! So estimated £100 and that should cover whatever hubby/friends have planned.
    -£5 to foodbank / charity
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - do not wait to see how much is left at the end - and live within your budget. Done. £850 in the joint, £25 overpayment on Credit Card no.1 paid, new direct debit for Credit Card no.2 set up (with £89 overpayment). All other debts from joint account already budgeted and allocated for (from the £850). £50 in Honeymoon Fund.
    -meal plan - need to get back into this. It makes cooking after work so much easier if I know what I’m cooking!

Unabashed, unambiguous, unconditional, undaunted, undivided, unerring, unshakeable devotion to your goal(s). [more on this later]

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens..

Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read.

You are the key to reducing your debt, living modestly, keeping as fit and well as you can. So look after yourself - physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.

I want to re-introduce Bob's s t r e t c h challenge for January: Try and save an extra £50

Would joining the 1% thread help you? Joined - will keep a note of my 1% which is £111. Baby steps.
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Although in the words of Yoda, there is no try.
    I might adopt that as a motto as well
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Massa1982
    Options
    Please count me in for January 2018

Janus is the god who looks both backwards and forwards. So this is a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? reduce the household debt to £5000 plus a mortgage and to built up an emergency fund of £1000 5 years? rid of all short term debt and have a 6 month emergency fund 10 years? to be overpaying the remaining mortgage balance

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect a new one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving. Will be making a concerted effort to pick up the cross stitch once again and finish a number of already started projects. Will be reviewing my fitness through free website and Samsung fitness.

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?)
    -your bugets are set by the start of the month and are fixed. All set
    -£5 to foodbank / charity done Give as you earn
    -pay money to your debts FIRST - all set up by direct debit
    -meal plan - my meal plan is simply to make a meal out of that days yellow sticker ensemble it can be both bountiful and adventurist in January as everyone goes on their diets

Who is with me for January? Me please

:pDesperately Determined to Destroy the Debts one at a time.. and Seriously Save for the Spectacular future.:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure