IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Problem Indigo - Belgium Offence

I posted a few weeks ago and am still having issues with indigo.

I parked in Belgium in De Panne and payed for parking by an app called yellow brick which is approved by De Panne council because we had no change, this was in August. I receive a penalty notice from Indigo on behalf on De Panne Council for non payment at a charge of £39 for not displaying a ticket. I appeal and provide plenty of evidence showing that I did pay. However Indigo have rejected the appeal and are now charing me £67 and claim the council have no record of the transaction.

I contact yellow brick and they confirm I have paid so Ive told Indigo this and said for them to either cancel the ticket or set a court date. I have also contacted De Panne council who have basically told me its nothing to do with them anymore and contact indigo.

My Questions are
1 - Where will Indigo send me to court?, its a Belgium offence and nothing to do with the UK. They appear to have bought the ticket from the De Panne Council, Can they request money from me for a foreign offence?

2 - Are councils in Belgium obliged to help me, is there any European legislation for me to quote my last response was,

Dear Sir,

As we said, Indigo handles the demands to cancel penalty notices. You can expect an answer from them.

This is our last reply regarding this matter.

With kind regards,

3 - Calling Indigo is a non starter, they don't answer the phones. Would the British Parking Association be able to help?

Thanks

Phil
(Stressed)

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Is your car registered in the UK ??

I am unsure what they can do as POFA 2012 applies
    to England and Wales
  • Sounds like you paid the Belgium council and they have not paid Indigo for some reason.
    Maybe its best to wait and see what Indigo do. Assuming they have your correct address then you should get all the correspondence. Your dvla details are up to date I assume?
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Yes my vehicle is Uk registered and all details are correct. We did park in a space and didn't get a ticket from the machine because we had no change, however it gave you the option to pay online which we did via Yellow Brick.

I think it works that you pay yellow Brick which is a dutch company, they pay the council.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yes my vehicle is Uk registered and all details are correct. We did park in a space and didn't get a ticket from the machine because we had no change, however it gave you the option to pay online which we did via Yellow Brick.

I think it works that you pay yellow Brick which is a dutch company, they pay the council.

I am puzzled, the so called offence was in Belgium

Indigo belong to the BPA in the UK which gives them
    access to the DVLA but POFA 2012 iwhich they
    must comply with is a law covering England and Wales

Are Indigo abusing their BPA membership to access
    data from the DVLA which of course is for registered UK cars
    and tickets issued in the UK ??

If this was the case, then POPLA would come into
    play

Interested to see what others say
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,252
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would contact the DVLA and ask who has accessed your data. Give them a from/to date that includes the whole period spent in Belgium. You must write to them, not a phone call.

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/dvla-reverse-position-on-charging-to.html

Can you host redacted copies of the letters from Indigo on Dropbox, imurg or TinyPic and post the URL here - but change http to hxxp as the forum won’t allow newbies to post live links.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Get it in writing from Yellow Brick that you paid and the details of the payment. Should Indigo be daft enough to try the courts in the UK it will be necessary. They only think you did not pay, you know you did.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Im at work now but will post some links later
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Could be interesting results from this, have they offered POPLA? if so even more interesting
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I’d pretty much tell indigo, in writing, to fro
    State they have to send a compliant lba within 14 days otherwise you will consider the matter closer, and further communication will be harassment.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ingigo is to the French what Crapita is to the UK , (hated) , they are trying to mix french and UK laws together to confuse the OP

bring it to court? what court , civil or magistrates?

as above tell them to do one ,
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills