IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

parking charge notice from park watch

Options
13»

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 December 2017 at 3:56PM
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Nowhere in this thread did I suggest the drivers identify is irrelevant and as I have said many times there is no way anyone can be sure who the OP is. Even if the OP admitted they were driving on here (Which they havn't) then the fact that "kevi26" from the MSE forum isn't going to help any parking company win an appeal.

If you can't show evidence that parking companies can use the OP's post against them then telling them that they will is uncessary scaremongering and paranoia.

If everyone who posts on the parking forum provides advice without any evidence that it will be sucesful or correct then I can't imagine it to be very useful at all.

Lamilad had his posts on pepipoo quoted by the PPC in court.

I have had a PM from a NEWBIE who told me the PPC quoted his posts on MSE when he appealed, even though he never used his real name on here.

The regulars here have been told several times by MSE Towers that complaints have been made about posts on MSE by PPCs.

We know therefore that PPCs monitor these fora. The only reason for that is for the PPC to try and gain an advantage in an appeal; the biggest advantage being an admission of who was driving.

Often NEWBIES post enough information on here for them to be identified as the vehicle keeper by PPCs.

Posters sometimes use their real names, sometimes they post their vehicle VRN, sometimes they quote the PCN number. All of this information is unique to a particular PCN and identifies a poster as the keeper.

Sometimes an exact time and date, or a location and date, or period of alleged parking and date, or combinations of the above from a NTD/NTK is enough for PPC to identify a specific PCN which when appealed reveals the identity of the keeper on here. This is how the NEWBIE who contacted me was identified by the PPC as the vehicle keeper.
    Fortunately they had not admitted anywhere that they were the driver.

A single comment then that "I parked ..." will be enough for the PPCs to take a screen grab and prove the keeper was the driver.

This is why in most cases we advise posters not to reveal the driver's identity.
    Sometimes it is to the poster's advantage to admit being the driver; residential parking cases being one example.

Since a driver does not have the same protection offered by the Protection of Freedom Act 2012 as a vehicle keeper, the default starting point should always be, Don't Tell Him Pike, not even on here, and then decide later if this should be changed.

One of the reasons for telling posters not to give away the driver's identity is to get them into the habit of not giving the game away at a later stage.
    There is at least one case in the last few months where a PoPLA assessor picked up on a keeper appeal the fact that the appellant had said the dreaded words I parked (or something similar) in their appeal, and therefore said, I am satisfied the appellant was the driver.
    Bang. Strong appeal points straight out the window.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The other point, if a keeper is appealing (or even defending) and another random thread under pseudonym but with enough similarities (same PPC, same parking location) states ‘I was the driver’, a PPC might put 2 + 2 together and come up with a totally wrong answer, but nonetheless copies the ‘admission’ and includes that in its evidence.

If you’re that keeper, now prove in the very short time available that the particular thread is not yours.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Takman - this isn’t the place for your inaccurate theories. Take them elsewhere.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Takman - this isn’t the place for your inaccurate theories. Take them elsewhere.

To be fair, this thread did start on the Motoring Board.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    kevi26 wrote: »
    I have received a parking charge notice from park watch for parking on Broughton shopping park, i was parked in an area with no double yellows and nothing to indicate I couldn't park there, l wasn't parked in a bay though but there was no spaces nearby , i went back today and on further inspection realised there were some really small signs which were difficult to read.
    should I bother appealing this or just pay it? i do have photos but can't work out how to upload them

Kevi 26 please just read the NEWBIES thread and appeal as described/written there.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Lamilad had his posts on pepipoo quoted by the PPC in court.

I have had a PM from a NEWBIE who told me the PPC quoted his posts on MSE when he appealed, even though he never used his real name on here.

The regulars here have been told several times by MSE Towers that complaints have been made about posts on MSE by PPCs.

I hope no posts have been removed due to their complaints because i know the moderators on this forum are very quick to remove posts if there is any hint of it causing them trouble.
    We know therefore that PPCs monitor these fora. The only reason for that is for the PPC to try and gain an advantage in an appeal; the biggest advantage being an admission of who was driving.

Often NEWBIES post enough information on here for them to be identified as the vehicle keeper by PPCs.

Posters sometimes use their real names, sometimes they post their vehicle VRN, sometimes they quote the PCN number. All of this information is unique to a particular PCN and identifies a poster as the keeper.

Sometimes an exact time and date, or a location and date, or period of alleged parking and date, or combinations of the above from a NTD/NTK is enough for PPC to identify a specific PCN which when appealed reveals the identity of the keeper on here. This is how the NEWBIE who contacted me was identified by the PPC as the vehicle keeper.
    Fortunately they had not admitted anywhere that they were the driver.

Yes i agree that it is foolish to post so much information.
    A single comment then that "I parked ..." will be enough for the PPCs to take a screen grab and prove the keeper was the driver.

This is why in most cases we advise posters not to reveal the driver's identity.
    Sometimes it is to the poster's advantage to admit being the driver; residential parking cases being one example.

Since a driver does not have the same protection offered by the Protection of Freedom Act 2012 as a vehicle keeper, the default starting point should always be, Don't Tell Him Pike, not even on here, and then decide later if this should be changed.

One of the reasons for telling posters not to give away the driver's identity is to get them into the habit of not giving the game away at a later stage.
    There is at least one case in the last few months where a PoPLA assessor picked up on a keeper appeal the fact that the appellant had said the dreaded words I parked (or something similar) in their appeal, and therefore said, I am satisfied the appellant was the driver.
    Bang. Strong appeal points straight out the window.

So do you think the information in the OP's post would be enough to be used by the PPC's at any stage of the process successfully?. If they attempt to use such vague information then they must make mistakes in matching up the forum posts to the people.

Do the POPLA assessors really just take the posts at face value even if the are very vague and could not even be the correct person?. It's starting to sound like POPLA are very biased if this is the case.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I didn't even know the thread had been moved until reading your post.!. I wouldn't have had this kind of discussion on the parking forum.

But i don't see a problem with discussing the reasons behind the "advice" given because i'm sure other people will find it interesting.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 December 2017 at 2:59PM
    Options
    I hope no posts have been removed due to their complaints because i know the moderators on this forum are very quick to remove posts if there is any hint of it causing them trouble.

Yes i agree that it is foolish to post so much information.

So do you think the information in the OP's post would be enough to be used by the PPC's at any stage of the process successfully?. If they attempt to use such vague information then they must make mistakes in matching up the forum posts to the people.

Not yet, but as I already explained, a single comment such as "I parked ..." followed later by posts where the other information I mentioned can be fatal to a successful appeal.
    That's why it's in the NEWBIES.
    That's why we tell a NEWBIE poster at the earliest opportunity not to reveal the driver's identity, even if they haven't already done so.

Do the POPLA assessors really just take the posts at face value even if the are very vague and could not even be the correct person?. It's starting to sound like POPLA are very biased if this is the case.

I didn't even know the thread had been moved until reading your post.!. I wouldn't have had this kind of discussion on the parking forum.

But i don't see a problem with discussing the reasons behind the "advice" given because i'm sure other people will find it interesting.

If you want to discuss the reasons behind the advice, you should start your own thread on the subject.

Hopefully now you understand why it is important not to give away any information about the driver's identity and why the regulars here tell people not to shoot themselves in the foot.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business