HTB ISA > LISA > House (hopefully!)

Hi

I'm planning to buy my first property around May/June 2018. I'm planning to fund the deposit as shown below - does anyone have any thoughts as to whether I've missed somthing?

Current situation:
HTB ISA with balance of £6,250 (ish) - opened in Dec-15 with £1,200 and £200 contributed each month

LISA opened in April 2017 - current balance of £1

Other savings held in a collection of accounts outside of ISA wrappers

Property will be in the region of £250k. The places I'm interested in are £230 - £260 but I expect by the time I buy, and to get what I want, I'll pay over £250k. As I'm not buying in London this rules out the HTB ISA bonus.

Plan:
  • In early 2018, transfer the HTB ISA into my LISA
  • "Top up" the LISA to ensure I've used the full £4k allowance for 2017/8
  • After 6 April 2018 - add another £4k to the LISA.
This should give me a LISA balance of around £12k, or £15k after the bonuses have all been paid. If I do the transfers at the right time, the bonuses should all be paid by the end of May 2018 I believe.

I can then use my non-ISA savings to make up the balance of the deposit.

Can anyone see a flaw in this cunning plan?

Comments

• Smart thinking by utilising the LISA which has a higher property value threshold outside of London (Like you I found the HTB threshold challenging when looking to live either just inside or outside the M25)

I cannot see any issues from my knowledge to your plan as you are certain you want to buy next year, so taking a LISA out does make sense.
    Save £12k in 2020 = £4,074.62/£15,000 (27.2%) #89
    Save £12k in 2019 = £13,580.52/£15,000 (90.5%) #92
    Save £12k in 2018 = £17,189.12/£15,000 (115%) #36
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,613
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Smart thinking by utilising the LISA which has a higher property value threshold outside of London (Like you I found the HTB threshold challenging when looking to live either just inside or outside the M25)

Thanks - agree about the £250k cap on the HTB ISA. If you want to live in the South East, but not London, it's pretty much impossible unless you want a very small flat. I'm surprised they didn't make the £450k cap cover the whole South East, given we all suffer from London driven house price inflation.

Thanks for commenting on my plans :)
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,639
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Who is your LISA provider, are they accepting HTB transfers (Nutmeg are not), if so get your transfer paperwork in pronto to avoid disapointment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure