We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Crossover point

Options
2»

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    economic wrote: »
    That said, we live in the UK where we can afford (for now) state benefits for the poorest. No one is starving, nearly everyone has a home so there is no poverty in this country.

How I wish that were true.

At our local CAB, we see poverty on a daily basis amongst our clients.

If you doubt that poverty exists, volunteer at your local food bank or homeless shelter.

When I was working in industry, I may have shared your view.
    Having retired early, and then went on to volunteer at the CAB, I now have a completely different perspective.
    I seriously worry for many of our clients, particularly those battling poor mental health, learning difficulties, etc. The welfare system can be cruel and heartless - WCA can drive those with poor mental health into full blown crisis :
    http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/work-and-pensions-committee/employment-and-support-allowance-and-work-capability-assessments/written/9797.html

Children's poverty is now increasing:
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/16/child-poverty-in-uk-at-highest-level-since-2010-official-figures-show

I was lucky to have a stable, loving, relatively well off childhood. Went to a good school....degree...professional qualification.....a career with a major FTSE company, etc. Rather took it for granted - just following the track set out for me.
    Could I have done this had family circumstances been different? I rather doubt it.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    That said, we live in the UK where we can afford (for now) state benefits for the poorest.
    "We" certainly can afford to pay benefits for the poorest however to a large extent "we" choose not to pay enough.

Those we have the most do ensure that they choose to keep their wealth and little trickles downwards. As a nation we have enough wealth to ensure that noone lives in poverty, no one needs food banks, no one is homeless etc.

Unfortunately as a nation we choose not to do this.

We really should hang our in heads in shame.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    The Trickle Down Effect...get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=13238
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport