Crossover point

Options
At what age did you reach or intend to reach the crossover point where your investment income exceeds your living expenses?

Also how should i calculate this? investment income pre or post tax?
Another night of thankfulness.

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 24 December 2017 at 11:34AM
    Options
    At what age did you reach or intend to reach the crossover point where your investment income exceeds your living expenses?
    I don't know if my investment income will ever exceed my consumption other than over some short term time periods where I happen not to be spending very much over a particular week or month.

I intend to build my assets, and then use them up - i.e. consume the income from the assets and the assets themselves. So there will be a 'building up' (accumulation) phase and a 'using up' (decumulation) phase. During accumulation most of my income will likely be earned rather than unearned and so investment income isn't going to be as much as I spend. During decumulation the investment income element of my investment total return from year to year will not be the entire total return, and the total return may or may not be as much as I want to spend.
    If having more income than you need to use, is important to you, then obviously your measure should be 'post tax' income. Otherwise once you have paid the tax bill on the pre-tax income, you may not actually have more income than you need to use after all, which was your goal, and you will have failed.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Never, I'm burning down my investments (which includes income of course) with a big enough safety gap that should I ever breach it I'll have enough supplementary income from appearances as the worlds oldest man, to cover any shortfall.

If you do wish to leave a whacking big amount of money for your descendants, and only live on investment income, you should at least make a stab at that being post tax, there's no point in saying your "income" at say £50k is sufficient when after tax its actually £40k. Obviously all you can do is guesstimate what tax will be.
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Never, I'm burning down my investments (which includes income of course) with a big enough safety gap that should I ever breach it I'll have enough supplementary income from appearances as the worlds oldest man, to cover any shortfall.

If you do wish to leave a whacking big amount of money for your descendants, and only live on investment income, you should at least make a stab at that being post tax, there's no point in saying your "income" at say £50k is sufficient when after tax its actually £40k. Obviously all you can do is guesstimate what tax will be.

no, i dont believe in leaving anything for the coming generations; but if that happens, then it happens. everyone above 27 should be independent. like Jack Ma has said if you are still poor at 35, you have only got yourself to blame.
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    . everyone above 27 should be independent. like Jack Ma has said if you are still poor at 35, you have only got yourself to blame.
    'above 27' seems about the most arbitrary figure ever bandied about for the age at which an adult should become an independent adult.

I can't see 35 is particularly meaningful either. At 35 some people will have founded and IPO'd Amazon or Facebook. Or launched Alibaba like Jack did. Others may be unemployed or still be working for a smidge above minimum wage following a series of choices or events largely beyond their direct control.

Unlikely that many 35-yr-olds in the UK are 'poor' by global standards but I expect the poorest few million UK residents feel pretty poor in comparison to the richest tens of millions. Saying they all only have themselves to blame is not very compassionate as there will be some who could not have practically done things much differently and had to play the hand they were dealt. We should always expect some people to be poor though, as it is a relative measure, like height. The fact that someone will be short or tall helps to define you as someone who is 'normal range'.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    'above 27' seems about the most arbitrary figure ever bandied about for the age at which an adult should become an independent adult.

I can't see 35 is particularly meaningful either. At 35 some people will have founded and IPO'd Amazon or Facebook. Or launched Alibaba like Jack did. Others may be unemployed or still be working for a smidge above minimum wage following a series of choices or events largely beyond their direct control.

Unlikely that many 35-yr-olds in the UK are 'poor' by global standards but I expect the poorest few million UK residents feel pretty poor in comparison to the richest tens of millions. Saying they all only have themselves to blame is not very compassionate as there will be some who could not have practically done things much differently and had to play the hand they were dealt. We should always expect some people to be poor though, as it is a relative measure, like height. The fact that someone will be short or tall helps to define you as someone who is 'normal range'.

I think wealth and income are largely correlated with IQ and mental stability. Of course many other factors involved, but if you don't have a certain level of IQ and mental stability, chances are you will remain relatively poor. So in that sense its no ones fault but the genetics (and some environment) of the person.

That said, we live in the UK where we can afford (for now) state benefits for the poorest. No one is starving, nearly everyone has a home so there is no poverty in this country.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    economic wrote: »
    I think wealth and income are largely correlated with IQ and mental stability. Of course many other factors involved, but if you don't have a certain level of IQ and mental stability, chances are you will remain relatively poor. So in that sense its no ones fault but the genetics (and some environment) of the person.

That said, we live in the UK where we can afford (for now) state benefits for the poorest. No one is starving, nearly everyone has a home so there is no poverty in this country.

What evidence I have seen suggests the biggest factor in wealth and income is parentage. This must be set to increase as more wealth is tied up in property.
    Her Unelected Majesty the Queen stands as an example to us all - that however clever and hard working you are, you can't get the top job unless you are born into it.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 December 2017 at 2:50PM
    Options

We average mid 30s, have low living expenses (mortgage mostly paid so invest circa 2/3rd of our income for early retirement, to help son, etc) and markets have been generous recently so our total YTD return (we are investing for accumulation not income) probably exceeded expenses for the first time earlier this year.

However I don't see it as a crossover point as there will be other years in future, when market corrections occur, where we will be in negative YTD return position.

You can calculate things however you want.

Alex
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Certainly those with low IQs or unstable mentality are unlikely to get rich, but there are plenty of other reasons for remaining relatively poor, such as preferring to have a life rather than working overtime (or even full-time).
    Except that some slip through the safety-net, so don't get the state benefits.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Being born into wealth (or not) is by far the biggest factor in whether a person is wealthy or not.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know, that isn't something I measure.
    However when I was 59 my only income was from investments, and my net worth increased, so investment income must have exceeded expenditure that year.
    Post tax. There's no point in comparing your expenses to a figure that's bigger than you actually get.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family