PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying reduced items/discount items in 2018

Options

Comments

• freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in a rubbish area for reductions.

I've found the Morrisons in Maldon is good for reductions.

But in my town, we have an Aldi and Co-op and that's it. Aldi don't generally do reductions (though I picked up a few packs of their version of after 8s for 49p for this Christmas) and the co-op reductions are always more expensive than the other supermarkets' full price!

Tesco is ok, Sainsbury's is utterly useless - pennies off, if that. But, I've learned that Asda are quite decent in my area.

I've picked up massive bags of potatoes for pence before. And i got a pack of Extra Special Creamy mash for 15p before - though, having eaten it, I coulsnt tell you what was particularly special, never mind extra special, about it! It should have been £2...

Packs of muffins, which I freeze individually and then can put in my daughter's lunch, are generally to be found for 20-30p. Same with packs of rolls, which I make up with ham and cheese and freeze, also for her lunches.

In my old area, co-op used to be amazing for 5p veggies, which I'd bulk out mince with.
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    We only buy meat if it's good quality and more than half price, last night in Waitrose we got topside beef reduced from £25 to £3.30 (bought three), ox cheek for £2 down from £10, meatballs for £1.55 from £4.30 and braising steak from £5 to £1. Won't have to buy meat for an age now.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got some speciality loaves from co-op last night, Mediterranean reduced from £1.89 to 47p, rosemary and olive oil £1.79 to 44p.

And from Tesco, lamb shanks reduced from £4.20 each to £1.80 each (since when did lamb shanks get so expensive, I remember the days when they practically gave them away!)
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    well done all. keep up with the great ys savings!! I'm holding out for a while until my stocks are lower!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just been for a browse in local Co-op....honestly their reductions are ridiculous.... Loaf of bread down from £1.45 to £1.31. Muffins from £1.99 to £1.71!.…Needless to say I didn't buy any...
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, that bad weather theory was a complete bust, unless you like 3 of a 4 pack of lager or feta cheese.... Only came out with the banana's I went in for, after fighting through all that rain and slush....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Popped into Morrisons earlier and was surprised there were some good ys stuff - pukka pies (steak/steak & kidney) - don't normally buy these but at 50p a time bought 4 (Only DH eats pies). 3 have been frozen. Also bought some profiteroles for 50p, they'll do nicely for a treat pudding!

Denise
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Popped into Asda after karate tonight hoping for some pastry, but it hadn't been reduced any further from £1.14.

I'm making a chicken and ham pie tomorrow and the family would probably prefer puff on a pie, but if I could get the shortcrust cheaply enough, they'd eat it happily. But I could get two blocks in Aldi for the price of the reduction in Asda!

I did get two cheese and onion pasties (weekend lunch with homemade baked beans) for 36p and a pack of tiger rolls (to be made up and frozen for lunches next week).
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do plants count??
    last week 2 x pot plants in Morrisons both £1 for 5 pence each. One still looks a bit sickly, the other is very perky- nowt wrong with it (now!)
    Also fruit bush- was £2 for 10 pence- a 'Honeyberry' Repotted and outside.
    Today - also Morrisons net of 3 ruby grapefruit- were £1 for 5 pence. Was wearing glasses but didn't look closely & thought they were nice fat oranges! Not so keen on grapefruit so gave them to my dog runner!

Also found Christmas walnuts-227g for £1- were £3. Not cheapie cheap but still a bragain.
    Other reductions had just a few pence taken off.....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    whilst walking the dog this morning, the chap who delivers sandwiches etc to the local costcutter shop was throwing stuff in the normal public waste bin!!! just had to look!! throwing out 7 samosas, 4 sausage rolls and 6 pre filled sandwiches....glad I had a carrier bag stuffed in my pocket, would never of got them home otherwise. on closer inspection all items are still in date!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure