LBGT Marriage / Babies

Options
I apologise in advance if I come off as nieve here... I certainly never expected I'd be writing this post so here goes...

My partner and I are looking to have a child together. However, the least complicated method of doing so is to get married. Marriage and least complicated... they don't sound like to words going together LOL.

However, I'm put off getting married due to financial reasons. I've been treated very, very badly in the past by people whom I loved, and who I believed loved me and have lost thousands and thousands of pounds in the process.

Since then I've managed to really make a name for myself and recently sold my LTD company. I have just over £100k in assets.

While my partner and I both work for ourselves now, we pretty much share all the money - it all goes into one pot and we just spend what we need. I contribute around 90% to this pot, however, I don't mind for a second her spending every single penny of it - at least while we are together...

In the terms of if we got married what would happen if we then ended up getting a divorce...

Would the easiest thing be to just have a prenup?
Where's the best place online to learn more about this?

I'm more than open to any other suggestions and ideas :)

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,103 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think pre-nups are legally binding in the UK (might be worth googling?), and AIUI if the marriage lasts for 2 years or less the courts would seek to put you both back in the financial position you were in before you married.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    avogadro wrote: »
    I don't think pre-nups are legally binding in the UK (might be worth googling?), and AIUI if the marriage lasts for 2 years or less the courts would seek to put you both back in the financial position you were in before you married.

Damn' all those American songs lied to me... :eek:

I did some Googling but honestly, the information seems so scattered. :(
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,461 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Not sure why you consider it necessary to get married in order to have children.

But more importantly, if you are so insecure in your relationship that you fear your partner may leave you and take half your money, then I think you shouldn't be having children together.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    Not sure why you consider it necessary to get married in order to have children.

But more importantly, if you are so insecure in your relationship that you fear your partner may leave you and take half your money, then I think you shouldn't be having children together.

Not necessary but certainly less hassle. Otherwise, the sperm donor is the legal guardian and you've got to go through an adoption process for the child.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,641 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not necessary but certainly less hassle. Otherwise, the sperm donor is the legal guardian and you've got to go through an adoption process for the child.

I don't quite understand. If you have a child together, the father gets PR for the child if he is named on the birth certificate which gives both parents equal standing. The father must go with the mother to register the birth in order to be put on the birth certificate.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't quite understand. If you have a child together, the father gets PR for the child if he is named on the birth certificate which gives both parents equal standing. The father must go with the mother to register the birth in order to be put on the birth certificate.
    Check out the thread title :)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • loveabargain13
    Options
    Surely if you have an anonymous sperm donor they are not named, why not go through IUI no requiremdnt of getting married?
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Adopt .... ?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,103 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As a same-sex couple a civil partnership may also be an option, but I am not sure what the legal difference is between that and a marriage.

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Who would be the biological mother? Would they also be carrying the child?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure