PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making savings before it's too late

Options

Comments

• tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    We have the same custom here, it must be a Celtic thing Mar :) but with any luck they will have around a ton and a half:D
  • Blackcatsreturns
    Options
    I too have had the same hairdresser for many years. First in her salon and now she comes to the house. She has had 3 children in the time I have used her and she prefers the flexibility of being a mobile hairdresser now. She charges a fair but not cheap rate and she does a good job which means I trust her. Occasionally she coaxes me into a slight variation which I am always happy with as she knows that I am not brave about trying radically new styles. However, I just saw an old photo of myself from about 20 years ago when I had long brown hair and I now have short blond hair so I suppose that actually there must have been lots of slight variations along the way!
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I pay a bit more than you, Kittie but think it's worth it, after all my hair is on show all day, every day. It's very fine and hard to style, so I'm grateful to have found a hairdresser who does a good job. She comes to my home every 7 or 8 weeks.

If you look at clothes on a '£ per wear' basis, i.e. divide the cost by the number of times its worn, and then do the same with your hair and the number of days between cuts, you'll probably find the haircut works out better value.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Blackcatsreturns
    Options
    Polly - I really like the idea of that calculation and the logic behind it.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a great believer that a decent hair cut costs what it costs, life's to short to be unhappy with your hair!

My plans to get a cleaner have been (hopefully temporarily) scuppered as my preferred company has no spaces and I'm reluctant to try anyone I've not used before. Still nothing has changed, I've managed up to now and will continue to do so until a space frees up.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    This time next week will be in a new month, good.

Today I treated three of us to lunch out, having driven 70 miles, getting back with the petrol gauge on red. I detoured, filled it to the top, bought a few more veggies and some cadbury fingers, which I have put out of sight. All paid for in cash so no `forgotten` surprises to come out of any account

Somehow I doubt I will be able to top up any savings next week, I have no bills due but the balance is tighter than I like it to be and the only input is my state pension on monday. It is definitely helping me to make my mind up about pension stability in the future. I believe I will be buying an annuity to top up my pension. Not something I would have done 10 years ago but a good thing at 70
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have been to the hairdresser once in my life and I hated it.. I hated being touched and I hated how it looked when it was done and came home and cut it myself like I always do.. waste of money.

I have never coloured my hair and embrace my 2 dozen greys.. I am a grandma, I am allowed grey hair! My mothers is all snow white and looks lovely, I would love mine to be like that!

I don't smoke, drink or drive. I don't have takeaways and eat out once every 2-3 months..

I have just spoken to the mortgage company about being transferred to a different mortgage product with a lover interest rate and therefore a lower monthly repayment.. that saved £130 a month!! I have been paying that much a week! Definitely worth looking at!!

Credit cards in the process of being paid off and already binned.. don't need those.

I changed tariff for gas and leccy so got those a tiny bit cheaper.. I could save loads by changing supplier but last time I did that I moved back within weeks as they were so much more expensive and customer service was appalling.

mobile still fine so I have been on the cheapest sim only deal for 18 months.. it is starting to die though and the memory is rammed so I do need to sort that soonish.

I have a beautiful spreadsheet of income and outgoings and I realised with £300 'dispoable income' I really need to cut back somewhere...

I am focusing on selling stuff from around the house to get a bit more space and bring in a little bit extra.. I managed £950 so far this year.. My daughters bedroom needs decorating so that is my next big housey outgoing.. that and the floor in the back room which is looking at being around £300.

I hate being poor!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've always been poor pigpen, and I hate it when I've got too much money lol. Seriously. I always feel like I should be giving the kids some of it or buying myself nice things while I'm still alive to enjoy them. Then I start to agonise over what to get... Life was simpler when I had just enough to go round. But the good thing is that if/when I get poor again - if the husband dies before me - I know I can manage and have nothing to fear.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's that balance isn't it between being completely struggling and existing hand-to-mouth and having so much that things become de-valued? I like to think I have "enough" and I'm happy with that. I could be more (or less) savvy on my spends based on my income depending on your viewpoint but I'm happy to try and strike a balance between trimming everything down to the bone and being wasteful. Hopefully I've got (or am getting) there- "there" of course is different for everyone:D
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, we're all different and that's how it should be :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure