PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making savings before it's too late

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll join the group who have abandoned Asda for home deliveries, they were dire.....

Seems odd deciding this after joining this thread but I do think it is a need and not a want! I've more or less decided to get a cleaner. Not very :money: and will involve a bit of budget tweaking but I'm struggling to keep on top of the heavier chores. I used a local company for a deep clean before so I'm going to see if they can do a regular slot for me. I won't need it every week so once or twice a month should be enough to cover the bits I can't do. ;)

I'm sure I have current "spends" that give me less pleasure than a cleaner home will so the spreadsheet will be getting a thorough tweak....
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I have come to the same conclusion as you re a cleaner. Again, not weekly. Probably use a company for a deep clean once a month. I struggle with keeping the house as I work a regular job and I freelance. I promised myself a monthly cleaner once I reach debt free status and I am nearly there :)

A calm, clean house is important for my wellbeing so I think it is worth it. I am happy to compromise elsewhere.

I will give up my gym and find a cheaper one to accommodate this change :)

As you say not very :money: but important to me...
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have come to the same conclusion as you re a cleaner. Again, not weekly. Probably use a company for a deep clean once a month. I struggle with keeping the house as I work a regular job and I freelance. I promised myself a monthly cleaner once I reach debt free status and I am nearly there :)

A calm, clean house is important for my wellbeing so I think it is worth it. I am happy to compromise elsewhere.

I will give up my gym and find a cheaper one to accommodate this change :)

As you say not very :money: but important to me...
    Sometimes it's about deciding priorities and personal wellbeing is so essential that (to me) it falls into the "priceless" category:)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just caught up. I'd be annoyed too suki.

Did wonder where the house sale would end up tori, glad to see your DH is out of his sulk about it.

We bought out house (3 bed semi) shortly before prices rose, complete chance we weren't even looking and didn't think it possible. The house I already had was in negative equity. We've been grateful over the years that the mortgage is cheap, but the jump to the 'next step' a 4 bed detached would have added £100K for us to stay in the same area, which I wanted to due to family, friends and kids at school. At times I've felt we've outgrown the place, but then it's now come to eldest applying to Uni and I am so thankful over our low mortgage. It means we can find the money to support him. So many of my friends and family are telling their kids that they can only go to the local Uni that's commutable due to not being able to top up student's maintenance loan.

On the savings front, so much better for lunches this week. Both me and DH have taken packed lunches each day. DH asked for a salad today and was nice to go into all my spare bits of salad and veg and create a meal with them and lovely to have left work without spending a single penny.

Tomorrow me and DD are going to the theatre, to see a musical. It's an Amateur production so hasn't cost that much £12/£10 but looks to be of a very high standard, I saw a preview a few weeks ago of it when I went to watch DD in a charity fundraising event.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CurlyTop wrote: »
    Love reading about the things we're all up to to keep an eye on our pennies and pounds. Long may we reign.
    I love that too. :j We're all at different life stages and different household set ups and have varying reasons why and how we're going to save. Loads of ideas for differing circs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have to get my cut and blow dry today, she is a good hairdresser and owns the salon but I am usually out in 30 minutes. For that I pay £45 and then give a £3 tip. I have short and now, thinning hair, sigh but she does make it look good, like judi dench. However I do begrudge paying that much money, which I will pay from my cash wallet. I think I will stretch appointments to 7 week intervals, that will help
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I use a training college for beauty treatments. I had a £10 facial a few weeks back and my skin looked so much better. I will be calling them today to see what treatments they have available :) I like being able to find ways to get luxuries at a cheap price and I like being around positive young people who are trying to get their lives on track :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Vidal Sassoon training school if you live in London and are time rich but money poor. It does take a whole morning or afternoon but the results are always very acceptable. £12 for cut and blow dry but you can often get a voucher to reduce the price to £5
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    Morning,

My plans for today have changed. I was originally planning on meeting up with a friend and that would have involved going out for a coffee/lunch so I guess there is money saved there. We have rearranged for Friday instead which probably works out better for me.

The boy has his ice skating lesson tonight. He skates alot for his age but he absolutely loves it. I find the money to set aside a budget for this each month and tend to keep within range. It is a pricey hobby but I cut back in other ways to make room for it. What he gains out of it is worth it.

Instead I'm going to spend the day chilling out and writing a guest list for my mums 60th whilst she's not here and I can possibly get some things done such as writing out the invites etc.

Whilst we were deciding to go for the hot food option I forgot about catering for kids at my mum's party. They are unlikely to eat the hot food options so I have discussed with my sister about setting up a kiddies food corner which we can prep easily with more snack type of food, as long as the venue allows this.

That's it really for today. I overspent yesterday by £2 as I picked up some extra snacks for the boys lunch box but I'm not fretting over that.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    In regards to hair appointments I usually pay around £45 for a cut and colour but I stretch it out as long as possible. I've had my hair coloured in a way that as it grows out it doesn't look too bad, it kind of blends in. I think between my last appointment and one before it was around 5 months haha! Im growing my hair back long after having it all cut off when I went through a crisis point in my life. I wanted to feel different. I'm now glad its growing back.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts