£180,000 debt - done!

lozzam
lozzam Posts: 73 Forumite
Newshound! Debt-free and Proud!
edited 22 January 2018 at 11:26AM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Hi folks, I'm sure Lozzam won't mind up updating her post with a link to her news story

''I cleared £180,000 of debt in 12 years''

Back to her original post...

----

Yes. £180k was a ridiculous amount of debt, and nothing much to show for it. Only one of us working and living the lifestyle of our Singleton and Two income friends

The lightbulb moment was August 2005. All debt was being serviced but I realised I was taking out new debt every other month to keep it under control and that was not going to work any longer.

CCCS (now Step Change) were brilliant and helped us put together a tough but just about manageable repayment plan.

It took 12 years, but we are finally debt free - all paid in full!!! We are now working on our mortgage and making sure I have a decent pension pot.

My recommendations?

Learn to cook healthy good food, so staying in is better than going out. Go running or walking and really appreciate the outdoors. Do your own thing and don’t try and keep up with what others are doing. Find ways to treat yourself that doesn’t cost too much - a couple of days holidaying out of season is brilliant!

We have just got a new credit card and are using it for supermarket shopping and paying off in full each month. Hoping it will help build our credit rating .... but also not planning to use credit in future.

The moral of my story? The debt may be huge but the process is the same. One bite of the elephant at a time and it will get eaten.
DMP mutual support thread member 373

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family