New Post Advanced Search

Thailand - anyone been?

23 replies 3.2K views
mitchlouisemitchlouise Forumite
45 posts
Hi Guys,
We've booked flights to Thailand with Etihad in Feb (9th to 23rd). I know this isn't long but its that or nothing cos of work!!

We are thinking 3 nights Bangkok, 4 Chiang Mai, 6 Phuket, then 1 in Bangkok to finish off and get back to the airport.

We think we're going to fly between Bangkok/Chiang Mai and Bangkok Phuket and have found some good prices.

My questions are - Is this a good itinery? Are we getting a good mix of the country here?

We are flying back to the UK at 8.40am on the 23rd from BKK, would you suggest staying over near the airport or is it very easy to get to/from the airport for a last night out? Is this expensive?

My bf likes the sound of the Baiyoke sky hotel in Bangkok, is this in a good location?

We are thinking of the Kata Palm resort in Phuket, also any opinions welcome.

Lastly have we picked the right island with Phuket, as we are only there a fortnight we want somewhere we can easily get to from Bangkok.

We're doing this DIY so we can save money!! The packages looked expensive and the hotels did not have good reviews. The only problem is we know nothing about the place!!

Thanks!!:beer:

Replies

• I personally would think that 4 days in Chang Mai would be too much. However if you enjoy that type of environment then it seems fine. Have been to Thailand several times but not for many years. We always travelled to Koh Samui as it was very unspoilt, unfortunately is has now been overrun with Tesco and MacDonalds (can't seem to get away from them!). :j
  • We would want a trip for most days in Chiang Mai, is there not so much to do?
  • Would agree that 4 days in Chiang Mai is too much. I spent a week there whilst my gf did a massage course. If it wasn't for the cheap beer i would have gone nuts!
  • having been to Thailand before (5th time this coming December) can help you here

1 Phuket ... if you love beaches Oh My God! world Class...Nai Harn, Karon to mention a couple

2 Samui..same as Phuket but more premium and smaller island...laymans terms bit boring really i found ( i like seeing things and doing things as well as beaches)

3 Chang mai... i agree with the others here on that score

4 Bangkok... more than 2 nights for your average tourist is more than enough

5 as for your hotel choice... i have stayed at many

mangosteen spa...... top end and i mean top end (Royal Jacuzzi Villa, doesnt get better than this you will wet your pants..bit expensive in february maybe?)

Karon Beach Resort.. mid range... the only hotel on Karon beach which is right on the beach without having to cross the road ..looks a bit council flats to look at but dont let appearances put u off its lovely inside

and sad to say i havnt stayed at the boyfriends choice however i know where it is i have seen it and its a budget choice so u get what you pay for

all i can say is it depends on your budget as far as hotels are concerened against what you want or need?? i have stayed in many locations in Phuket and know that you will struggle to find a nightmare, most of the top end are really really outrageously top end and the budget end are budget, however, top end, budget end, whatever, you will find the Thai people , clean, honest, law abiding,religous, decent folk

i hope this helps ...try these links for further info

www.latestays.com ............hotels
    www.phuket.com ........... pictures and info
    www.villasuksan.com ..... where i am staying for a month in December!! yes,Yes,YEs,YES,YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!! Result

P.S Thai for Hello is Wai...Use it they will love you for it, particularly when hagglingfor shopping which you must do at all outlets bar the supermarkets.. tescos gets everywhere haha

P.P.S budget for a scooter (£4 a day plus petrol which is cheaper than water) or Tuk Tuks (little red taxis) bargain your price!!!....whatever if you want to see things in Phuket you cant walk far the word Phuket comes from the old word 'Bukit' meaning 'hill'......you have been warned haha
    I am opposed to millionaires, but it would be dangerous to offer me the position :rotfl: :D I never want to be skint :eek:
  • Hey,

I would recommend reducing your time in Bangkok to either 1 or 2 nights maximum.

For cheap internal flights, try Air Asia - they are a very good low cost airline out in Asia who are very cheap, reliable and operate a fleet of mostly brand new Airbus A320s.

For your stay in Phuket, I would recommend the Novotel Phuket for a superb standard of accommodation with plenty of facilities and a reasonable price.

Etihad are also a great choice of airline with a superior Economy cabin with one of most generous seat pitch’s out of any airline, immense personal entertainment system and superb service.

Enjoy!

Jetset_House
    I am a Travel Agent

My ATOL number is 0230. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it but Atol numbers can be checked on the Civil Aviation Authority website. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • As is usual, I disagree with some of what has been written. :)

Anyway......... give the Baiyoke a miss. The best location for your short stay in Bangkok is at Centrepoint Silom: http://www.centrepoint.com/Locations/Silom_f.aspx#type

Book through an online agent. e.g. http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/bangkok/cpsilom/
    A One Bedroom with a River View is my usual choice.

Telling people to avoid Bangkok is a little like telling people to avoid London and go to Guernsey instead.

I'm not going to suggest where you should or shouldn't go, as that's half your fun taken away.
    Also, my tastes may differ.

The climate is going to be completely different, so you'll need time to acclimatise.
    Two weeks is almost no time at all.

The amount of nights that you spend in Bangkok may depend on the time you arrive from Abu Dhabi.
    The Centrepoint Silom location gives you access to the SkyTrain for easy access to the New Town and the Express Boat on the river, for easy access to the Old Town(for the Khaosan Road and most of the tourist attractions).

You can view some pictures of the apartment I use here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=3638779&postcount=47

The first three pics are of a studio apartment with kitchen at Centrepoint Petchburi(close to the Baiyoke), the others are of the one bedroom apartment at Centrepoint Silom.

As for Phuket... if it tickles your fancy.

Is there a reason why you have chosen Chiang Mai, other than you've heard of it?
  • mutley74mutley74 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Donnie wrote: »
    Telling people to avoid Bangkok is a little like telling people to avoid London and go to Guernsey instead.
    access to the New Town and the Express Boat on the river, for easy access to the Old Town(for the Khaosan Road and most of the tourist attractions).

I agree with poster above. Each time i goto Thailand i love spending a few days in BK. Its a fabulous city, so much to see and do. Theres shopping, eating out, sight seeing and loads of great places to just chill out:j

Why not try visit Chiang Rai, a but further north from Chiang Mai, about a 2hr bus ride if recall correctly. Nice to visit the Golden Triangle and a boat trip into Laos (theres no custom or passport control!!)

enjoy!
  • Party_AnimalParty_Animal Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi ML, we are going to be there at at the same time , but we've got 3 weeks ( still not enough so people here keep telling us but some of us have jobs to go back to) We're spening 4 nights in Changmai and doing a 2 day trek, something we really want to do. I've heard good reports about Changmai. My son's been and some good friends too and they all loved it. Not sure about Phuket. We're staying on Lanta.
    Donnie, controversial as always , but helpful still
    BTW after recommendations from another site we've opted for the Majestic Grande in Bangkok. Good reviews, good location and within our budget.
    Enjoy
  • Hi ML, we are going to be there at at the same time , but we've got 3 weeks ( still not enough so people here keep telling us but some of us have jobs to go back to) We're spening 4 nights in Changmai and doing a 2 day trek, something we really want to do. I've heard good reports about Changmai. My son's been and some good friends too and they all loved it. Not sure about Phuket. We're staying on Lanta.
    Donnie, controversial as always , but helpful still
    BTW after recommendations from another site we've opted for the Majestic Grande in Bangkok. Good reviews, good location and within our budget.
    Enjoy

We're thinking hard about a 2 day trek. Can I ask where you are going and who you have booked it with if you have, how much etc, thanks
  • Donnie wrote: »
    As is usual, I disagree with some of what has been written. :)

Anyway......... give the Baiyoke a miss. The best location for your short stay in Bangkok is at Centrepoint Silom: http://www.centrepoint.com/Locations/Silom_f.aspx#type

Book through an online agent. e.g. http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/bangkok/cpsilom/
    A One Bedroom with a River View is my usual choice.

I'm not going to suggest where you should or shouldn't go, as that's half your fun taken away.
    Also, my tastes may differ.

The climate is going to be completely different, so you'll need time to acclimatise.
    Two weeks is almost no time at all.

The amount of nights that you spend in Bangkok may depend on the time you arrive from Abu Dhabi.
    The Centrepoint Silom location gives you access to the SkyTrain for easy access to the New Town and the Express Boat on the river, for easy access to the Old Town(for the Khaosan Road and most of the tourist attractions).

You can view some pictures of the apartment I use here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=3638779&postcount=47

The first three pics are of a studio apartment with kitchen at Centrepoint Petchburi(close to the Baiyoke), the others are of the one bedroom apartment at Centrepoint Silom.

As for Phuket... if it tickles your fancy.

Is there a reason why you have chosen Chiang Mai, other than you've heard of it?

We chose Chiang Mai because we wanted to try and fit a 2 day trek in, we aren't yet sure if this is going to be possible but there seemed to be lots of day trips available up there.

Do you not like Phuket? We are trying to get opinions because we want to choose the right island!

I'll look into those hotels in Bangkok, thanks :j
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support