post office online saver account

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
41 replies 7.6K views
dontlikebanksdontlikebanks Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
This new account sounds great with 1.3% interest. But be aware that once you have put funds into this account just cant make any withdrawals for 8 calender days. This even applies if you transfer funds from another post office account. And their customer service is rubbish.

Replies

• I closed my account down, as all I wanted was a tax certificate, took four weeks to get it. Customer service was rubbish!
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This new account sounds great with 1.3% interest. But be aware that once you have put funds into this account just cant make any withdrawals for 8 calender days. This even applies if you transfer funds from another post office account. And their customer service is rubbish.
    Anyone reading the product's key information document will be aware of the clearly-defined 8 day period:
    For security purposes, you won’t be able to make withdrawals for the first 8 calendar days from the date your account is opened.
    and anyone searching this forum for other threads about Post Office accounts will be aware of their customer service reputation!
  • no mention is made of the 8 day period where they give you details of the account before you apply. They only just mention the great interest rate and immediate withdrawals etc. The 8 day period is of course stated in the key information document, but is rather buried amongst all of the other terms and conditions. And lets face it, not many people would trawl through all of this. Very poor
  • edited 20 December 2017 at 3:13PM
    lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2017 at 3:13PM
    Does anyone have experience of opening this account and Id.
    I would like to open one on behalf of MIL and FIL. It's important it's a joint account and not single as they are both on benefits so it should't go in one name.

MIL used to handle ALL the finances for 60 years, so has plenty of credit history and based on previous experience they won't have an issue verifying her ID online.
    FIL on the other hand did not have credit cards and being 89 no-longer has a passport of driving licence (does have a disabled badge). I suspect they cannot ID him on-line.

Anyone any experience? Their savings are currently earning 0.25%.
  • AirlieBirdAirlieBird Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The 8 day period is of course stated in the key information document, but is rather buried amongst all of the other terms and conditions. And lets face it, not many people would trawl through all of this. Very poor

More fool them. I wouldn't be opening any account or handing over any money until I've read and fully understood how I get access to my money, how they could charge me, the requirements to operate the account and what the closure process is.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • ZoeaZoea Forumite
    38 Posts
    At least get a Santander 123 account so you can get (AFAIK) 1.5, % on up to £20k.
    There's much better out there that's even compounding (in my experience) but people seem so risk averse I'm not about to argue with this. Well not at the moment lol.

Enjoy.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least get a Santander 123 account so you can get (AFAIK) 1.5, % on up to £20k.

Is this one where you have to mess about with putting a min amount in each month?
    MIL is in a nursing home and can't even switch on a TV.
    FIL hasn't handled money for 60 years so totally unsuitable for them.
    Family are very busy handling visits, laundry and all others affairs.
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 8 day period is of course stated in the key information document, but is rather buried amongst all of the other terms and conditions.
    No it isn't - before the detailed terms and conditions small print there are two pages of non-legalese high-level product information, and the bit I quoted is on page 2 of these.
  • StubodStubod Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    ..after my previous (very bad) experience of PO savings accounts and appalling customer service I would not touch any of their products with the proverbial.... it's just not worth the hassle...
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • Wheres_My_CashbackWheres_My_Cashback Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    PO also do not use Faster Payments, funds are usually moved moved the next day ! I'd steer well clear of them.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides